PETROL! Is empty realy empty

peregrine

Just the other day my fuel gauge hit the empty mark. Well to my pleasant supprise a little round orange light which I didn't know was there came on. Occasionally going off and then on again consistent with the sloshing around of the remaining petrol in the tank which if consistent with other makes should give me a range of say 50 to 100KS before completely running out and coming to a stop. My car is a 1999 Vienta. I wander what other little treasures there are? For instance, I believe there is one for low windscreen washer water and hopefully some others

I take it this is your first car then, or you never payed attention to the car when your parents drove you around as a kid? :P

Good luck on the low washer fluid warning light... even the Aurion doesn't have one.

I take it this is your first car then, or you never payed attention to the car when your parents drove you around as a kid? :P

Good luck on the low washer fluid warning light... even the Aurion doesn't have one.

haha easy now! :P :P

Usually, when the empty fuel light comes on you'd have a good 10 - 15L of fuel left in your tank (thats the case for the corolla anyway so I assume it cant be far off for diff cars) so work out your km for the remaining fuel..

I usually give or take 100km just to be on the safe side...

Hehehe. I took care this time (well that's what I'd like to think). That's why this time I added the " :P " to indicate it's was a harmless statement. In fact, I learnt about the low fuel light as a kid because my Dad would always drive the car to empty whereas my Mum wouldn't. It was also because of this that I joke around when the fuel gauge is on 'E' and say what my Dad used to say.... "E for Enough".

I also was going to mention what you have said.... but I think he is aware of that judging from the:

...which if consistent with other makes should give me a range of say 50 to 100KS before completely running out and coming to a stop.

And also he posted this same statement in the 'General camry questions/answers' thread, which has an answer in response to that at the beginning.

I think of all things, he is surprised that they have a low fuel warning light.

Hehehe. I took care this time (well that's what I'd like to think). That's why this time I added the " :P " to indicate it's was a harmless statement. In fact, I learnt about the low fuel light as a kid because my Dad would always drive the car to empty whereas my Mum wouldn't. It was also because of this that I joke around when the fuel gauge is on 'E' and say what my Dad used to say.... "E for Enough".

I also was going to mention what you have said.... but I think he is aware of that judging from the:

...which if consistent with other makes should give me a range of say 50 to 100KS before completely running out and coming to a stop.

And also he posted this same statement in the 'General camry questions/answers' thread, which has an answer in response to that at the beginning.

I think of all things, he is surprised that they have a low fuel warning light.

haha fair enough, E for enough is gold :P.

Dw Daryl ;) there is always a cleanup crew if anything happens :P

Just the other day my fuel gauge hit the empty mark. Well to my pleasant supprise a little round orange light which I didn't know was there came on. Occasionally going off and then on again consistent with the sloshing around of the remaining petrol in the tank which if consistent with other makes should give me a range of say 50 to 100KS before completely running out and coming to a stop. My car is a 1999 Vienta. I wander what other little treasures there are? For instance, I believe there is one for low windscreen washer water and hopefully some others

You will probably find a few treasures at the bottom of that fuel tank. If you want to check out some cool lights I suggest not changing your oil for a year and you'll probably get a light for that as well. If you drive at night you might be able to notice a light that comes on when a door is open or even a beeping noise when a door is open and the car is running. Push down on the middle of the steering wheel and you might get a loud noise, I think the Aurion has this as well. These Toyota's are full of surprises you wont typically find in any other make of car.

If you want to check out some cool lights I suggest not changing your oil for a year and you'll probably get a light for that as well.

This is a Toyota... you'd never get such a thing.

To LOL at that statement actually:

... By this time I could smell burning oil and knew something wasn't right, and as luck would have it, a sign said rest area '1km' so I carried on, at 100 kph with my oil ****** out the bottom of the car. I pulled into the rest area and shut down the engine.
The oil pressure light had not come on
, but the engine was making a bad clicking noise. I had a look under the car and it was soaked with oil, and there was a trickle of oil coming off the sump.

In all seriousness though, unfortunately the Camry isn't really full of hidden treasures. Nothing out of the ordinary anyways.

To LOL at that statement actually:

... By this time I could smell burning oil and knew something wasn't right, and as luck would have it, a sign said rest area '1km' so I carried on, at 100 kph with my oil ****** out the bottom of the car. I pulled into the rest area and shut down the engine.
The oil pressure light had not come on
, but the engine was making a bad clicking noise. I had a look under the car and it was soaked with oil, and there was a trickle of oil coming off the sump.

In all seriousness though, unfortunately the Camry isn't really full of hidden treasures. Nothing out of the ordinary anyways.

Well, some would say that is a fault. But maybe Toyota decided on a different sensory warning. Smell and Sound.

Wow, a low-fuel warning light......my 1988 Corolla has one of those (but it doesn't work), as does just about every car ever made since the introduction of electronic fuel injection.

The Gen 4 Camry/Vienta has all the standard warning lights (low fuel, ABS, park brake on, etc). The only real "pleasant surprise" is the brake light failure light which I can see is on the cluster in my 1999 Touring but I believe it does not work. It might, however, work on the Grande.

The light will illuminate when you brake if a brake light is blown. If the light illuminates all the time whilst you have your headlights on, this indicates a blown tail light.

To the best of me knowledge, there is no warning light for windscreen washer water.

Edited by JMacca53

Hey wow my car does that too!

No 'DJKOR' its my sixteenth car and the last time I was in my parents car was prior to the last world war. one of the reasons that prompted this entry is to help what seems to be quite a few who don't seem to know why they cant fit 70 ltrs into the tank when it hits the empty mark and in fact was first placed as a reply to one such query. One of my previous cars which was a1983 Telstar Ghia which I owned in1983 had warning lights bells and whistles! for just about everything. Maybe the top of the range Aurion has?

Edited by peregrine

Well... this thread just gets more confusing as I go along... hehehe

99% of us are well aware that when the needle points at the "E", it doesn't necessarily mean "Empty". I came to the conclusion that this is "E" tells me that if I don't fill up soon, I'm gonna be screwed. Our tanks in the Gen 3 & 4 Camrys are 70L, that's right, but when you're at the bowser filling up, you won't get 70L in there... which is fine. Considering I had fuel to actually pull up into the Petrol Station makes me believe there's fuel in it (albeit not much).

The most I have ever placed in my Camry was 67L. I'd imagine the other 3L woulda looked scarce if someone was able to see 3L in a huge tank. I'm surprised my car didn't suck up any crud that may have been loitering in my fuel tank, but considering I run 98 octane all the time and also use a Nulon Fuel System Cleaner every 5000km, I don't think I have too much to worry about.

I find that when it's full (keep filling til it stops, then a bit more) mine will sit on the "F" for near two days (40km to work and back x 2) and THEN it'll start to come down after that. At the end of the day, it's the fuel sensor thing in the tank that gives the reading. I'm pretty sure that when I go around an exit offramp and somehow my fuel goes from 1/2 to 1/4 temporarily, will make me believe that the fuel sensor is somewhat full of ***** :)

Also my comment to justify this as well which was on the first page of the other thread where the OP posted this same question/statement:

General camry questions/answers

When you think about it though, it actually makes sense. Think about the surface area of the fuel tank. It's like trying to measure 10 litres of water in the bathtub. The level (depth) of the water isn't that much when you put it that way which makes it hard to measure.

OP did you know that camrys come with a SPARE TIRE in the boot!!!!!!!!!! :o

Mine has two!------------ JUST KIDDING. Thanks for all the response, guess its hard to get the correct interpretation to what one means but its been fun and hopefully helpful CHEERS

Edited by peregrine

well there's an optional treasure to be had on the sxv20r 1997-2002 camrys.

if you have a stock toyota twin decker headunit, your seatbeat light stays lit on the camry HUD (hehe), and will continue to do so only AFTER you've put your seatbelt on.

WOW

i thought that was pretti technologically advanced for a camry seeing the seatbelt had no electrical wires attached to it - though the circuitry was just attached to the metal bar of the seatbeat latch.

after i removed the twin decker and place my own single decker unit, the light stopped working, something to do with the grounding and the wiring - diyed the installation.

i also get zapped lots on certain roads when exiting my car. annoying.