Noise on starting on 07 Kluger Grande

PC XT

Has any one heard a loud noise that some times goes for a couple of seconds when starting there Kluger...then goes away.

It does not happen all the time, as it did for the dealers/mechanics :angry:

Sounds to me like a starter motor problem... then I have heard problems with cam gears.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated :huh: It will be going into the Toyota mechanic's again, yet for more warranty and recall work...

A word of warning for those people on the $150.00 service disadvantage plan.....don't be late, it will cost you!!! :( :angry: Like $550.00

Edited by PC XT

Has any one heard a loud noise that some times goes for a couple of seconds when starting there Kluger...then goes away.

It does not happen all the time, as it did for the dealers/mechanics :angry:

Sounds to me like a starter motor problem... then I have heard problems with cam gears.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated :huh: It will be going into the Toyota mechanic's again, yet for more warranty and recall work...

A word of warning for those people on the $150.00 service disadvantage plan.....don't be late, it will cost you!!! :( :angry: Like $550.00

hey mate,

my piece of shi7t does exactly the same thing, I have not rang the ar5e clown dealer yet, but will leave the car with them until its perfect (as when I bought it it did not sound like it would fall apart, nor any of my other cars dont make hideous noises like this on start up).

in summary in my case it ALWAYS happens when the motor is cold started the first time (hot start does not happen, nor repeated cold start mind you, its only the first initial start), and its the starter motor from my analysis, basically sounds like its not disengaging properly, if you hold the ign key on for a bit after the motor has caught on it kinda does not happen.

its just another reason to sell the pos before the brakes fail or the accelerator sticks and you die or the oil line fails and the motor fails.

toyota = joke :rolleyes:

p.s. I noticed this start to happen a few hundred km ago, my defective toyota rubbish has 26000km on it for what its worth :rolleyes:

Edited by RICE RACING

Does it sound like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0tNiKeR-6w

video is from my corolla levin zr.

that sounds like your starter motor not disengaging properly

i have in the past on other cars mind you cleaned the pinion gear and lubricated it and worked

speak to your mechanic

thanks top gun. the corolla is currently at the dealer... the sound only occurs on the 1st cold start of the day... dealer didn't say anything about the starter being a problem.... anyways they are changing the timing chain and the tensioner... also changing the VVT or something.... if that fails i'll get them to replace the starter motor.....

i'll keep you posted when i get my car back tomorrow.

PC XT and RICE RACING... is this the sound you get on cold start?

No mine is not like that, I will try to take a video to show you.

Yours is directly related to engine speed and you can hear as the motor goes from 200rpm cranking to 1500rpm fast idle the timing chain or gear rattle gets fast etc. In my puss buckets case it sounds like a freewheeling gear on the starter not disengaging *I could be wrong* but it does not sound like that video of yours.

Its only done it a few dozen times but its very consistent that it happens on a first start attempt, even if you crank the motor very brief so it wont start up then let it fully crank into life it seems to not make the noise from the starter gear clashing with the flywheel ring gear.

Toyota is a joke, I will never buy another one after this lemon.

Does it sound like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0tNiKeR-6w

video is from my corolla levin zr.

that sounds like your starter motor not disengaging properly

i have in the past on other cars mind you cleaned the pinion gear and lubricated it and worked

speak to your mechanic

thanks top gun. the corolla is currently at the dealer... the sound only occurs on the 1st cold start of the day... dealer didn't say anything about the starter being a problem.... anyways they are changing the timing chain and the tensioner... also changing the VVT or something.... if that fails i'll get them to replace the starter motor.....

i'll keep you posted when i get my car back tomorrow.

PC XT and RICE RACING... is this the sound you get on cold start?

i was going to suggest the timing chain next, they can suffer from tensioner problems

Gee, Rice Racing - I am surprised to hear your sting on the brand - especially after your detailed run-in and performance measurement thread, where you were glowing about it all....

What happened to make you turn sour?

[EDIT] - actually, you dont need to answer that - I just read the last few posts in your performance thread - it seems to be about the dodgy oil line, and general product support you are/were getting from Toyota. I'm sorry to hear of your poor experience - I hope that my Kluger (currently on order) is better in both respects.

Roger.

Edited by Kahnx

Gee, Rice Racing - I am surprised to hear your sting on the brand - especially after your detailed run-in and performance measurement thread, where you were glowing about it all....

[EDIT] - actually, you dont need to answer that - I just read the last few posts in your performance thread - it seems to be about the dodgy oil line, and general product support you are/were getting from Toyota. I'm sorry to hear of your poor experience - I hope that my Kluger (currently on order) is better in both respects.

Roger.

Yes Roger I am kinda over it honestly, their attitude stinks.

I won't be buying another one in my lifetime nor recommending them either. I'm sure all brands have issues but the scandals surrounding Toyota world wide since I had my spray justify my well formed opinions about them and what they think of their customers :rolleyes: (all so they could make a few more percent profits to their bottom line! dogs!)

Edited by RICE RACING

Roger.

Yes Roger I am kinda over it honestly, their attitude stinks.

I won't be buying another one in my lifetime nor recommending them either. I'm sure all brands have issues but the scandals surrounding Toyota world wide since I had my spray justify my well formed opinions about them and what they think of their customers :rolleyes: (all so they could make a few more percent profits to their bottom line! dogs!)

Come on Rice we know you still love your car ,

I personally have an 07 grande done 38k few small problems that toyota have fixed no problems, but it has never let me down once .

Most car builders are the same, toyota are better than most. Mine has been a great car

If you think others are any different then you are mistaken.

We have been having a few problems with the intake and exhaust vvti controlers on current corolla and kluger. Only makes the noise till it gets oil pressure then it goes away, and only on cold start situations such as early mornings or when its left sitting for a long period of time.

I forgot I put up this thread, it created a bit of interest too. RR Im p1$$ with my car and Mr t

The cars got 40k on it my wife drives it 95% I originally chose it for longevity if I wanted problems I would have picked a locally built car, my Subaru has got 100thkms on it ITS NOT PERFECT either but for the distance each has traveled I know which maker I still prefer

Any way People check your cars for this noise as MR TRD said it is the problems with the intake and exhaust vvti controllers and lubrication again! Hey did the Lexus have these problems???? :angry: Some one got the raw deal

I too thought it was the starter motor not disengaging properly thats what it sounds like

We are going to loose the car for 2 days (no loan cars for Toyota's mistakes) and apparently it costs a bomb if its out of warranty,,,, so what next? Will be booked in tomorrow for the following Thursday

The whole things just a real inconvenience that should never of happened end of story!

I have a recording of it but can't up load it

Error Upload failed. The file was larger than the available space

It basically sound like a Diesel for a second or two on start up be it cold or hot obliviously if the oil is still up there you wont hear it

Edited by PC XT

could you explian why it is $550?

Its the FULL PRICE FOR THE 40K SERVICE

So if your on the Toyota disadvantage plan and you miss your due date by a month or two LOOK OUT!

Edited by PC XT

I forgot I put up this thread, it created a bit of interest too. RR Im p1$$ with my car and Mr t

The cars got 40k on it my wife drives it 95% I originally chose it for longevity if I wanted problems I would have picked a locally built car, my Subaru has got 100thkms on it ITS NOT PERFECT either but for the distance each has traveled I know which maker I still prefer

Any way People check your cars for this noise as MR TRD said it is the problems with the intake and exhaust vvti controllers and lubrication again! Hey did the Lexus have these problems???? :angry: Some one got the raw deal

I too thought it was the starter motor not disengaging properly thats what it sounds like

We are going to loose the car for 2 days (no loan cars for Toyota's mistakes) and apparently it costs a bomb if its out of warranty,,,, so what next? Will be booked in tomorrow for the following Thursday

The whole things just a real inconvenience that should never of happened end of story!

I have a recording of it but can't up load it

Error Upload failed. The file was larger than the available space

It basically sound like a Diesel for a second or two on start up be it cold or hot obliviously if the oil is still up there you wont hear it

What a heap of crap!

I have just over a year left on my token warranty, mine does this noise at random now, I don't want to waste days arguing with the weeds at my local Toyota rip off center so will just leave it till it invariably gets worse then let them deal with it. Once fixed will sell the nugget and let someone else deal with the garbage that is Toyota. Only 27,000km on mine too. POS will fall to bits at 100k probably at this rate :rolleyes:

Oh What Feeling :angry:

Edited by RICE RACING

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Just bringing this to the top again, and to say thanks to members for contributing their experiences with this noise. I had the same thing and this was the first place I came to troubleshoot it!! Exactly the same symptoms as PC XT and RICE RACING. Even told the service guys what I expected the problem was. Left it with them overnight so they could start first thing next morning, and sure enough, 2 seconds of rattle sounding like an old diesel starting.

They are ordering parts to repair under warranty next week. Sounds like a big job with the engine needing to be dropped out to replace parts. In fairness to my local Toyota Service Centre, they couldn't have been more helpful with this issue and have said they will supply a loan car.

They also said they would fix the nudge bar which is a genuine accessory and the service manager implied there was a recall on this too. Does anyone know what the issue is with it??

Anyway, thanks again forum members..

^^^thanks for reminding me about the nudge bar recall!

We all worked out that one in the in 2007.....Toyota oh what a crap feeling!

good luck with your car repairs dude. My wife said she has heard the same noise once since the repair....I just dont care about it anymore, specially when I drive a 225kws forester!

Hi guys - yeah I have had my fair share of these problems with my 2007 Kluger. Todate I have had Pistons changed, rings, vvti cam gears - the noise still persists.... the car in again getting looked at... the timing chain has been replaced, I have been told that its more of a snug fit than the previous timing chain... I am just not so sure this will fix it... I hope this tensioner is not the issue - can tensionsers loosen the chains or cause them to slip ?

hoping and praying this fixes it. Very happy with my dealer - treated me extremely well.

Just bringing this to the top again, and to say thanks to members for contributing their experiences with this noise. I had the same thing and this was the first place I came to troubleshoot it!! Exactly the same symptoms as PC XT and RICE RACING. Even told the service guys what I expected the problem was. Left it with them overnight so they could start first thing next morning, and sure enough, 2 seconds of rattle sounding like an old diesel starting.

They are ordering parts to repair under warranty next week. Sounds like a big job with the engine needing to be dropped out to replace parts. In fairness to my local Toyota Service Centre, they couldn't have been more helpful with this issue and have said they will supply a loan car.

They also said they would fix the nudge bar which is a genuine accessory and the service manager implied there was a recall on this too. Does anyone know what the issue is with it??

'Taltosss' and anyone else having this noise at the startup should get the car checked out... I have got my car looked at, as I have mentioned in the last post to this forum - I have had pistons replaced, piston rings, vvti cam gears - and today - timing chain, tensioners and guides all replaced... engine was dropped out... now the noise isnt there but will be checking in the morning as it is most prominent in the mornings on cold starts. Another noise that is annoying the sh!t out of me when I pull up to reverse in the driveway, as I put it in reverse I get this clicking noise... i think it could be the brake calipers engaging and then dis-engaging, anyways I am going to take it back and find out wtf is going with that.....

Safe driving to all - hint: try not to go off at the dealers.. this was a pretty hard problem for the engineer guys to diagnose if they can't hear the noise, which was my case for last 12 months almost...

'Taltosss' and anyone else having this noise at the startup should get the car checked out... I have got my car looked at, as I have mentioned in the last post to this forum - I have had pistons replaced, piston rings, vvti cam gears - and today - timing chain, tensioners and guides all replaced... engine was dropped out... now the noise isnt there but will be checking in the morning as it is most prominent in the mornings on cold starts. Another noise that is annoying the sh!t out of me when I pull up to reverse in the driveway, as I put it in reverse I get this clicking noise... i think it could be the brake calipers engaging and then dis-engaging, anyways I am going to take it back and find out wtf is going with that.....

Safe driving to all - hint: try not to go off at the dealers.. this was a pretty hard problem for the engineer guys to diagnose if they can't hear the noise, which was my case for last 12 months almost...

Hopefully this would have fixed the noise issue. good luck :)

update: at 10:00pm, aftwer having the work done to the car such as timing chain, guides, tensioners , the nosie has re-occured........ not happy jan.... i am F54king ******.

update: at 10:00pm, aftwer having the work done to the car such as timing chain, guides, tensioners , the nosie has re-occured........ not happy jan.... i am F54king ******.

Thats no good.

Looks like your going back to the service centre on monday :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update from me. Despite my local Toyota needing the car longer than at first thought (Wednesday til Monday) my noise on startup has now gone :yahoo: and I am very happy with Service Centre staff and how they dealt with this issue.

What I did find funny was that after the repair, and Nudge Bar mounting stud replacement that the Service Centre staff were proactive about doing, I received the letter from Toyota Head Office about the recall Customer Service Excercise relating to this. :whistling: