Poor quality paint?

Hey guys,

I have a 2008 Corolla Levin ZR in Ink (black) purchased in February 08. Now, 2 and a bit years later the thing is covered in odd scratches, everywhere. Some very faint and hard to see, others quite noticeable. None are straight, all curved in various lengths. I have a feeling this paint is not of high quality. My previous car was a 2001 Falcon which I brought new (still have it), and it has far fewer scratches then my 2008 corolla has after only 2 years. It looks old even after a wash.

Have any other ZRE drivers (or any Toyota drivers) had this problem? If I ask at the dealership will they care? Unlikely.

it only takes 1 bad wash to put scratches/swirls on a black car.

I'm very careful when I wash, the scratches are appearing one at a time, between washes, a lot on the sides, I'm guessing caused by people walking past it in a parking lot, etc or stones. Still it shouldn't scratch this easy.

Edited by -ALFI-

Scratches on any coloured car is inevitable. I wash mine with the two bucket method etc etc and I still have scratches all over. None are deep and can easily be filled by wax.

I had the same problem you had. Where you wash your car and it still comes out dull and grey looking. A good clay and polish fixed that right up. The black was much deeper, alot more reflective.

I have a black (ink) colour as well. When I first got it, some parts of the paint had bird dropping etchings on the paint. Nothing I could do to remove it. Sometime later on I will need to re spray it.

Unfortunately for us black car owners, scratches r a must if ita a daily driver. I've got swirls all over my car but they can be easily covered by a good polish then wax. I just wax mine once every 6 months now. I gave up on trying to keep it perfect haha...

If u bought it since new I would recommend u wax it striaght away. I dunno how good the paint protection is cuZ I never got it but I always thought a bit of elbow grease is better

The most valuable thing I learned from working at a car wash for a while was never to buy a black car - they show every little scratch.

Silver is the best colour in that regard, and they stay clean looking the longest, metallics generally hide scratches and dirt better.

My 2001 BLACK Celica is covered in a silly amount of swirlies and is pretty much normal for the age of my car and colour.

This weekend I will be detailing it and removing as many of them as possible - using a DA machine polisher and Meguiars SwirlX + other products. So its not impossible to get rid of them, but it does take work.

By 'very careful' when you wash, do you mean being careful not to drop your sponge, or do you mean using 2 buckets and a lambswool mitt + 100% cotton or microfiber cloths? Takes so very little to create swirlies.

Edited by Mole

Damn, these comments about black cars makes me want to reconsider. When it comes to the TRD I'm planning on getting, it's either silver or black. Not saying the silver is boring, but the black just looks hot. But then silver hides dirt a little easier as well. Hmmmm. Decisions decisions.

Silver is the best colour in that regard, and they stay clean looking the longest, metallics generally hide scratches and dirt better.

Amen to that :D

Almost 2 years and 40,000km on - looking like new :)

How did you come to the conclusion that the paint is poor quality?

1. All black cars will show scratches due to the nature of the colour, not the paint quality

2. what is your washing routine, do you wash your car regularly by hand what do you use etc,

3. Comparing this car to your previous car. was it black too

you give very skant details for your conclusion

I am not defending toyota's quality it just your statement is very inflammatory especially if you are not taking the proper care of your paintwork then expect scratches and damaged paintwork

In fact if its a daily driver well expect damage full stop

How did you come to the conclusion that the paint is poor quality?

1. All black cars will show scratches due to the nature of the colour, not the paint quality

2. what is your washing routine, do you wash your car regularly by hand what do you use etc,

3. Comparing this car to your previous car. was it black too

you give very skant details for your conclusion

I am not defending toyota's quality it just your statement is very inflammatory especially if you are not taking the proper care of your paintwork then expect scratches and damaged paintwork

In fact if its a daily driver well expect damage full stop

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression, I wasn't saying that the paint quality is bad, I was asking if anyone else thought the same. This is my first black car and prior to buying I never considered the notion that black will show all marks, I just thought it looked great in black. :rolleyes: My Falcon is blue.

I hindsight I would still get the black, it does look very good in the evening after a wash and wax.

I do wash with two buckets and use cotton cloths when I do it, but have used the free “wash for life” facility at the dealership (They wash your car for free, unlimited, Brighton Toyota vic).

I would be using Microfibre cloths TBH

I would give the car a good wash then clay it, wash again and prewax, polish, wax and sit back have a beer and smile

I have a red pearl mitsubishi and a gunmetal blue corolla both are daily's and are showing the wear but a good detail brings them up and hides alot

Quick tip

If you take it to the dealer for a wash and it is an automatic car wash STOP doing it!

It will get more scratches!!

always hand wash your car IMO

Damn, these comments about black cars makes me want to reconsider. When it comes to the TRD I'm planning on getting, it's either silver or black. Not saying the silver is boring, but the black just looks hot. But then silver hides dirt a little easier as well. Hmmmm. Decisions decisions.

If you put in the work to keep you black car in top notch condition, then you can get away with it, but make no mistake, it's a lot of work. You'll want a full professional polish get all the scratches/swirls out of the clear coat, then a few layers of a high quality carnauba wax (ie several applications), topped up every month or so. Of course when you wash you need to be meticulous about using the 2 bucket method and have adequate lubrication and don't introduce more scratches.

Black looks awesome when it's in showroom condition, it just deteriorates very quickly and visibly if you don't look after it (and it's hard to look after). Silver, by comparison, is not the most exciting colour ever, but has good resale qualities (looks consistent, hides damage, appeals to lots of people).

Just depends on your priorities really.

I would give the car a good wash then clay it, wash again and prewax, polish, wax and sit back have a beer and smile

holycrap!!! i reckon i need 5 beers after that! i wax my car only once and it takes AGES! :D

It's not the black car it is the paint Toyota uses it is crap , I have a corolla that is 2 years old ( blue ) and full of scratches , and I've had other Toyota cars and the same thing , and other people I talk to have the same thing the paint is very thin

The way you look after cars, you would have no problem with black.

It's not the black car it is the paint Toyota uses it is crap , I have a corolla that is 2 years old ( blue ) and full of scratches , and I've had other Toyota cars and the same thing , and other people I talk to have the same thing the paint is very thin

HMMM great way to introduce yourself with a first post :lol:

I know for a fact that the paint is of high quality but you are right in one regard

The paint layer is thin!

I have seen the new hilux with HORRENDOUS coverage in black and was sent to a Spraypainter to be fixed (read:Full body respray!)

I also think people are being a bit special when it comes to wear and tear on their paint TBH and now that Toyota is having some issues all the naysayers are coming out ready to complain about this and that as well

You have a car it is built to a price, your price is a corolla not a Mercedes or LEXUS quality

So learn to properly detail your car if it is such a problem

1000's of corolla owners on the road happy regardless

HMMM great way to introduce yourself with a first post :lol:

I know for a fact that the paint is of high quality but you are right in one regard

The paint layer is thin!

I have seen the new hilux with HORRENDOUS coverage in black and was sent to a Spraypainter to be fixed (read:Full body respray!)

I also think people are being a bit special when it comes to wear and tear on their paint TBH and now that Toyota is having some issues all the naysayers are coming out ready to complain about this and that as well

You have a car it is built to a price, your price is a corolla not a Mercedes or LEXUS quality

So learn to properly detail your car if it is such a problem

1000's of corolla owners on the road happy regardless

well said mate. Like I said before... Wax it when u first get the car. A little buffing goes a long way! :)

Just spotted a few light scratches within this week and I've only had my car for over a month.

Most of the scratches I've found was underneath the door handles, also I've only washed my car once since.

I thought graphite/dark grey metallic would put up with some resistance... But at least it's not as bad as black.

Note: Paint protection doesn't do sh!t...