Best Oil

this topic has been covered B4 ....... as have ALOT of these things :(

perhaps we could have a consolidated sticky.... include links to the best threads that discuss best fuel best oil, largest rims for corolla, tyre size, audio, etc. etc.

<_<  i wouldnt personally use anything that thin (5/30) in a genIII.... the rings in those engines were never the best anyway, let alone with oil that thin....

i use catrol XT10-30 in my car (1ZZFE), that is what the toyota technicians recommend at toyota engine school (for their apprentices).... the oil is hard to find, and many stores reckon they have never heard of it, but i manage to get it from auto pro....  i change my oil and filter every 5,000 - 7,000 kms and they always manage to keep a bottle of my oil in stock for me  :D

Your right Jade, the rings in the GenIII's weren't the best and many owners had alot of problems (rebuilds and even new engines to resolve).

5w-30 is what Castrol recommends for that engine and to be honest 4 GenIII's cant be wrong. None of these vehicles ever used a drop of oil and 3 of the 4 covered over 80,000km's before sold.

The 5w-30 oil was used from the first 1000km service right through to the end of ownership with no hassles.

That has to say something right?

Hate to break this to you but our cars don't have genIII's :P :P :D

Of course, how silly of me.

Merely trying to illustrate that this Oil has been proven in a variety of situations.

Its one thing for people to say a product is good/bad. Its experience that actually proves these comments.

This is not to say that any of the other oils mentioned here arent any good. Everyone has their preferance for a reason and this is what we are here to discuss.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we should make a definitive report on poarts spring fluids etc.

Alot of the fluids come down to personal preference.

My preferance for motor fluids are

Motor Oil - Fuch's Titan Super GTO10w30 (full synthetic) $120/20L

Gearbox Oil - Redline Oils MT90 or Redline Oils Shockproof $29/Quart

Coolant - Redline Oils Water Wetter

Brake Fluid - Motul DOT 5.1

Quick question...

Anyone know where in Sydney I could find some of these fluids? Preferably the motor oil? The FUCH'S site didn't offer much help...

Edited by !*heatseca*!

Quick question...

Anyone know where in Sydney I could find some of these fluids? Preferably the motor oil? The FUCH'S site didn't offer much help...

My local mechanic stocks FUCH's Titan oils, might try them out next service and ask where they get them from.

Edited by ZEEROLLA

5W30 and 10W30 should have the same max temperature but 5W30 would have higher cold temperature tolerance? I have also been told 5W30 would be thinner than 10W30, thinnest would be 0W oils. Correct me if i'm wrong, also if 5W30 oil is prohibited Toyota's mechanic would not have accepted the oil i have been bringing in for service for over a year and 20,000kms.

Z

Edited by ZEEROLLA

5W30 and 10W30 should have the same max temperature but 5W30 would have higher cold temperature tolerance?  I have also been told 5W30 would be thinner than 10W30, thinnest would be 0W oils.  Correct me if i'm wrong, also if 5W30 oil is prohibited Toyota's mechanic would not have accepted the oil i have been bringing in for service for over a year and 20,000kms.

Z

read this: http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/i...eoil_bible.html

Edited by shaohaok

Quick question...

look up Auto One in the phone book and find the one closest to you :)

yeah i have heard a lot of good wraps about redline anti shock gear box oil, esp for our car and its non forgiving gear suction in high revs. - alas though i my self have not tried it..........bu tevery one i have talked to about it rates it highly.

i think that the dyno place - who also does tuning that i mentioned before (see dyno post) use redline oils but you will have to confirm with xtigerx.

to be honest i have no idea what oil goes in my car as long as it fits factory recommendation and gets put in the engine and gear box every 5000kms, and also the gear box.

brakes however i do every 10thou as my mechanic hates doing it.

now i read back over this post i have not really helped at all i am sorry but its late and i am waiting for an ebay auction to close. :blink::huh:

Correct me if i'm wrong, also if 5W30 oil is prohibited Toyota's mechanic would not have accepted the oil i have been bringing in for service for over a year and 20,000kms.

Z

Toyota mechanics are not aware of this! And even national Toyota experts may not be aware of this! I doubt that somebody reads carefully all the service manuals to spot such details.

They practically ignore all the little differences in the maintenace of Corolla Sportivos/Tsports compared to 1.4 and 1.6lt engine Corollas. So, we should be alert to chek ourselves that they do the correct work.

5w30 and 10w30 should have different viscosity only when we start the engine (oil is not hot). Perhaps the thin 5w30 oil is not protecting the 2zzGE engine in this initial period when the outside temperature is above 10C? Or it has some effect to consumption, emission specs, etc?

I really do not know and I am very curious to have official information from Toyota.

I am very curious to have official information from Toyota.

In the last month I have tried unsuccesfully twice to get this information from Toyota Europe and Toyota Hellas. I asked them the following questions:

(1) Why oil SAE 5w30 is recommended (according to Corolla's manual) for ambient temperature only up to 10C for the 2ZZ-GE engine, while it can be used above 38C with the other Corolla engines?

(2) Does this apply regardless of the oil type: Fully synthetic, semi-synthetic or mineral?

(3) I have seen in the internet that the viscosity specs, at 40C and 100C, of oils SAE 5w30 and 10w30 are rather similar. Then why 10w30 is OK for temperatures above 38C for the 2ZZ-GE engine, according to our manual?

(4) Given that SAE 5w30 is not good above 10C, what will be the recommended range of temperature for 2ZZ-GE engine for fully synthetic 5w40 oil?

(5) Finally, what SAE of fully synthetic oil should be used with the 2zz-GE engine for Greek ambient temperature range of -10C to 40C?

I guess it will be helpful to all if somebody else could get replies from an official Toyota site. Do you know how we could email directly to Japan?

I am very curious to have official information from Toyota.

In the last month I have tried unsuccesfully twice to get this information from Toyota Europe and Toyota Hellas. I asked them the following questions:

(1) Why oil SAE 5w30 is recommended (according to Corolla's manual) for ambient temperature only up to 10C for the 2ZZ-GE engine, while it can be used above 38C with the other Corolla engines?

(2) Does this apply regardless of the oil type: Fully synthetic, semi-synthetic or mineral?

(3) I have seen in the internet that the viscosity specs, at 40C and 100C, of oils SAE 5w30 and 10w30 are rather similar. Then why 10w30 is OK for temperatures above 38C for the 2ZZ-GE engine, according to our manual?

(4) Given that SAE 5w30 is not good above 10C, what will be the recommended range of temperature for 2ZZ-GE engine for fully synthetic 5w40 oil?

(5) Finally, what SAE of fully synthetic oil should be used with the 2zz-GE engine for Greek ambient temperature range of -10C to 40C?

I guess it will be helpful to all if somebody else could get replies from an official Toyota site. Do you know how we could email directly to Japan?

I would have emailed Castrol regarding their 5W30 oil but it says on their bottle that its reccomended for all hi-performance 4 cylinder cars requiring 5W30 or 10W30 viscosity. Or Mobil/Motul/Shell etc regarding their specific oils as the manufacturers would know best.

Z

I think you guys are missing a couple of pointers here. If an oil is rated at 5w30 what this means is that its range in operation temperature is minus 20 on the lower number and add 20 to the upper number

so for 5w30 its range is -15 degrees C to 50 degrees C

so for 10w30 its range is -10 degrees C to 50 degrees C

so for 5w40 its range is -15 degrees C to 60 degrees C

so for 10w40 its range is -10 degrees C to 60 degrees C

so for 15w50 its range is -5 degrees C to 70 degrees C

No what does this mean in relation to oil thickness and protection. If 2 oils of same make and quality were produced and one was rated at 5w30 and the other 15w50 i bet the 15w50 would be thicker.... Why ? because it has to be able to protect your engine at the higher temperature. But if u didnt notice u will see that the lower temperature is only -5 as opposed to -15 of the 5w30. Why is this ? because thick oils are not ideal in the cold.

So where does this leave u ? Well if u could get a 0w100 oil it would be excellent. Thick enough to cover u up to 120 degrees C and good enough to cover u to -20 degrees C. An oil like this would mean $$$$$$ so in aus well in sydney anyway in winter & autumn temperatures are usually between 5 to 25 so i use a 5w30. In the summer where we see temps around 40 the 5w30 is still ok but u might wanna play it safe with a 5w40 or 10w40.

My 2cents worth.

• Like 1

I think you guys are missing a couple of pointers here. If an oil is rated at 5w30 what this means is that its range in operation temperature is minus 20 on the lower number and add 20 to the upper number

so for 10w40 its range is -10 degrees C to 60 degrees C

so for 15w50 its range is -5 degrees C to 70 degrees C

No what does this mean in relation to oil thickness and protection. If 2 oils of same make and quality were produced and one was rated at 5w30 and the other 15w50 i bet the 15w50 would be thicker.... Why ? because it has to be able to protect your engine at the higher temperature.  But if u didnt notice u will see that the lower temperature is only -5 as opposed to -15 of the 5w30. Why is this ? because thick oils are not ideal in the cold.

So where does this leave u ? Well if u could get a 0w100 oil it would be excellent. Thick enough to cover u up to 120 degrees C and good enough to cover u to -20 degrees C. An oil like this would mean $$$$$$ so in aus well in sydney anyway in winter & autumn temperatures are usually between 5 to 25 so i use a 5w30. In the summer where we see temps around 40 the 5w30 is still ok but u might wanna play it safe with a 5w40 or 10w40.

My 2cents worth.

So i guess 0W40 or 5W50 from Mobil or Penzoil will be great for the track where temps are really high.

Actually, SAE 5W30 is a multigrade oil, and the rating is based on old monograde oils. So a 5W30 means at 0 degrees Celsius, the multigrade oil has the same viscosity as a SAE 5 monograde oil. At 100 degrees, the 5W30 has the same viscosity as a SAE 30 monograde oil.

So comparing 5W30 and 10W30, the 5W30 is less viscous than the 10W30 at 0 degrees C, but at 100degrees C, they are the same viscosity.

So, what you can do is use the lower number to gauge cold starting protection, and the higher number for operating protection, UP TO A LIMIT, where the oil gets too viscous for your engine type. Of course, if you are in cold winter climates, make sure your oil has "W" in it. W denotes that it is suitable for winter use.

Example, Mobil 0W50 might be too viscous for a 2ZZ-GE at operating temperature, since 30 is recommended instead.

But for ambient temperature of say 20 degrees, the difference between 5W30 and 10W30 is small because the "5" and "10" denotes 0 degrees.

Edited by aaronng

But for ambient temperature of say 20 degrees, the difference between 5W30 and 10W30 is small because the "5" and "10" denotes 0 degrees.

I agree on this, but then why Toyota in the Corolla user's manual recomends 5W30 only up to 10 degrees Celsius for the 2zzGE engine?

Evenmore, they added an oil table in the manual specifically for the 2zzGE engine, with the maximum temperature (10C) for 5w30 being the only difference compared to the other engines' table (max T>38C) !!!

I guess some Toyota engineers had serious technical reasons for this!

Could you guess any reason why the Corolla's manual recommends for the 1.8lt 2zzGE engine (Sportivo)

5w30 for temperature up to 10 degrees C

10w30 for temperatures above 38 degrees C

I agree on this, but then why Toyota in the Corolla user's manual recomends 5W30 only up to 10 degrees Celsius for the 2zzGE engine?

Evenmore, they added an oil table in the manual specifically for the 2zzGE engine, with the maximum temperature (10C) for 5w30 being the only difference compared to the other engines' table (max T>38C) !!!

I guess some Toyota engineers had serious technical reasons for this!

Based on this statement from the manual,

Could it be that 10W30 is just too thick for temperatures 10 degrees C and below?

This is opposite to the statement of 5W30 being too thin for above 38 degrees C (which in my opnion can't be right, because the viscosity difference is small above 38 degrees C)

Based on this statement from the manual,

Could it be that 10W30 is just too thick for temperatures 10 degrees C and below?

No!

And the manual also gives the expected minimum negative temperatures in Celsius scale: below -29 degrees C for 5w30 and -18 degrees C for 10w30.

Edited by CTS03

I have done a lot of research into this, and worked out that as long as it is brown/golden in colour and not loaded with dirt, then it should be OK... :P

Hi All,

I am just 500km's away from my 20,000km service and am after some advice on what the best oil is to use in my Sportivo.  I've only owned the car since 18,000kms so am wanting to have it changed just to be sure.

Someone suggested to me Castrol Synthetic Formula R 0W-30, any thoughts on this one?

Thanks.

My mechanic at Toyota reckon Magnetec. I've Motul before and thats ok. Both are fairly expensive....

Really hard to tell the difference in performance... But using Magnetec with a TRD performance oil filter felt like a good combination of protection and a incredibly small if not none gain in performance...

hey where can i find the TRD oil filter? how much is it????

So I guess Fuch's Super Gto is the way for go for 1zz?? how much is it???

I found out its located on 1/613 Tower Road (Entry via Henry Lawson Drive) for Sydney Siders.....

How much does it cost is it expensive??? :blink:

Not sure where to get the filter but you may want to check with Toyota first if they agree that this is a valid part to be using.

When I picked my car up I advised them that I would be changing the oil and filter between each toyota service.

They had no problem with this but I insisted that I use only a genuine toyota filter as the service dept may be able to use this as a loophole later if anything goes wrong.

I realise that a TRD filter is still a Toyota part but a quick phone call to your dealer surely wont hurt.