Car washing with victorian water restrictions

hoges

I usually wash my car at the local self-serve spray thingo up the road from me, but I don't really like using the foaming brush on my car - it seems to scratch it a fair bit. We don't have a large water tank, so I like to use the pressure hoses at the self-serve.

I was just wondering what other pedantic people like myself do to wash their car to comply with the water restrictions?

I still use the self-service car washes, except instead of scrubbing the car with the foam brush, I hold it away from the car surface and let it dispense the foam onto the car. Then once that is done, I use a microfibre wash mitt that I take along with me to clean the car.

far out, why didn't i think of that???

since the car wash isn't that far from my house i just do a quick squirt with the gun on high pressure to remove all the excess dirt then i drive it home and quickly splash a bit of water on the top and then use the mitt and clean as normal with 2 bucket method.

that way i don't hold up much people in the car wash :P

btw DJKOR, isn't water usage FREE in brisbane since you get soo much rain lol :D

Edited by Kenshin X

That's not a bad idea DJKOR, I'll have to give that a try next time!

Also, Kenshin X, how do you normally wash the soap off the car? Do you drive back to the car wash or something?

umm just a normal hose with jet setting... i try not to take too long since i don't want the soap to dry on the paint. so far it's been good and ever since i properly clayed and waxed it, the car has been much easier to clean

umm just a normal hose with jet setting... i try not to take too long since i don't want the soap to dry on the paint. so far it's been good and ever since i properly clayed and waxed it, the car has been much easier to clean

if you have a good solid clean base like you do it wont take much at all

Best be is to do a full detail

Wash

Clay

Wash

Polish

Buff

Wax

Buff

should take at least 6 hours if done properly and then you only need to run the HP hose over the top for at least 3 months

but forget using megs or mothers get Autoglym or something even more expensive cause they actually last longer

• 2 weeks later...

I seriously didnt think twice that the carwash brush was damaging my car and putting scratches in it. Until several months ago.. wen the zre boys told me get a mit and stop using the brush. If i knew that.. i would of never used the damn brush! stupid stupid stupid!

I seriously didnt think twice that the carwash brush was damaging my car and putting scratches in it. Until several months ago.. wen the zre boys told me get a mit and stop using the brush. If i knew that.. i would of never used the damn brush! stupid stupid stupid!

yeah me too, wasn't until i looked at the car a few washes later and saw them, argh!!!

next meet, we go to jet wash boyz =D

• 2 weeks later...

yeah me too, wasn't until i looked at the car a few washes later and saw them, argh!!!

next meet, we go to jet wash boyz =D

Hey mate, I heard a really scary story about these jet wash ones. Since the water is recycled, apparently some jet wash machines do not filter the water properly and pounds your car with microscopic bits of dust causing ever more scratches.

Just a heads up, not sure if its true or not but sounds plausible.

Oh man seriously I dunno where to hp my car now :( if I just hose my car in my backyard it's not sufficient enuf to get all the dust off :(

Invest in a high pressure washer or a sponge :P

My trick is to fill up the bucket at home. Drive up the road to the self serve thingo. Hose down ($1). Wash with bucket and Sponge. Rinse then wax, then rinse again ($3). Those brush's are going no where near my cars. This Method takes exactly the same amount of time as someone who would normally wash their car with brush and what not! I've mastered it :) Plus the car gets an ok wax everytime i wash. Of course nothing works better than a proper wax.

I was going to go out and buy the Mothers electric buffer from autobarn but use the maguires stuff on it. I've seen these puppies in action and they work a treat. For $140 odd, you get mothers stuff with it and microfibre cloths etc. Takes half the time as well and less strain on your arms. Just need a spare $140 to get one :P