My version of a beginners car detailing

Here you go, this is when I want to do the ultimate detail for my car. All products are also used in order of the links.

OUTSIDE:

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Meguiar%E2%80%99s-Nxt-Generation-Car-Wash-1-89-Litre.aspx?pid=104050#details - Meguiar’s Nxt Generation Car Wash - 1.89 Litre

$25.99

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Meguiar-s-Quik-Clay-Kit-473ml.aspx?pid=10669#details - Meguiar's Quik Clay Kit - 473ml

$34.99

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Swirl-X.aspx?pid=214311#details - Swirl X

$28.98

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Meguiar-s-Nxt-Generation-Liquid-Tech-Wax-2-0-532ml-Liquid.aspx?pid=104049#details - Meguiar's Nxt Generation Liquid Tech Wax 2.0 - 532ml, Liquid

$49.99

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Meguiar-s-Hot-Shine-Tyre-Gel-473ml.aspx?pid=163673#details - Meguiar's Hot Shine Tyre Gel - 473ml

$19.99

To apply waxes and polishes etc:

http://www.zas.com.au/product.php?pid=238 - Meguiar's G220 Dual Action Machine Polisher

$299.00

http://www.zas.com.au/product.php?pid=242 - Meguiar's Soft Buff 6.5" Polishing Pad (W8006) - SwirlX

$28.82

http://www.zas.com.au/product.php?pid=304 - Meguiar's Soft Buff 2.0 Finishing Pad (W9207) Wax OR Polish

$39.95

INSIDE:

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Meguiar-s-Quik-Interior-Detailer-473ml.aspx?pid=119531#details - Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer - 473ml

$22.99

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Meguiar-s-Gold-Class-Leather-Cleaner-Conditioner-414ml.aspx?pid=10851#details - Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Cleaner & Conditioner - 414ml

$19.88

Hope you like. Comments and suggestions welcome :).

Nice list. In addition to your exterior list i use:

-Meguiar's ScratchX

-Autoglym Super Resin Polish

-Autoglym Glass/Window Polish

-Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer

Thanks for the feedback,

-Meguiar's ScratchX, I won't be using this because this stuff is for spot use, my car doesn't have big scratches that I need to be using this to spot remove them but is a good addition if some people have designated scratches.

-Autoglym Glass/Window Polish, this stuff actually sounds pretty good. I forgot to treat windows! Guess rainX would be just as good :)

thats a nice list you got going there... seems like your well and truely on the meguiars train! muahahhaa :spiteful:

anyway, adding to this, this is my current detailing a-rsenal...

Wash:

Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo applied with Meguiars Lambswool wash mitt

Surface cleaning:

Meguiars Clay bar/ Meguiars final inspection

Paint cleaner step 1:

Meguiars Ultimate compound

Paint cleaner step 2:

Meguiars mirrorglaze M205 (was previously SwirlX but 205 kicks ***** over SwirlX)

Optional step (depending on my mood lol):

Meguiars M07 showcar polish

Wax layer 1:

Meguiars mirror glaze M21 synthetic sealant or Nxt 2.0 (two layers)

Wax Layer 2:

Meguiars Gold class carnubra PLus or M26

Tyres:

Meguiars hot shine Gel

Windows:

AutoGlym glass polish

RainX protectant

RainX 2 in 1 cleaner/protectant for maintaining.

Plastics:

Meguiars PlastX

Interior:

Meguiars gold class dash and trim foam

Meguiars quik interior detailer

Meguiars Quik out carpet cleaner

Maintainence:

Meguiars Scratch X 2.0

Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer

Equipment:

Meguiars G220 DA polisher

8006 pad (x 3)

9007 pad (x 2)

Mothers Wax Attack Palm polisher

Countless Meguiars soft buff microfibres and chamois

yea.. my "detailing" wall in my garage is pretty fulll... :blush:

Edited by -DAvo

thats a nice list you got going there... seems like your well and truely on the meguiars train! muahahhaa :spiteful:

anyway, adding to this, this is my current detailing a-rsenal...

Wash:

Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo applied with Meguiars Lambswool wash mitt

Surface cleaning:

Meguiars Clay bar/ Meguiars final inspection

Paint cleaner step 1:

Meguiars Ultimate compound

Paint cleaner step 2:

Meguiars mirrorglaze M205 (was previously SwirlX but 205 kicks ***** over SwirlX)

Optional step (depending on my mood lol):

Meguiars M07 showcar polish

Wax layer 1:

Meguiars mirror glaze M21 synthetic sealant or Nxt 2.0 (two layers)

Wax Layer 2:

Meguiars Gold class carnubra PLus or M26

Tyres:

Meguiars hot shine Gel

Windows:

AutoGlym glass polish

RainX protectant

RainX 2 in 1 cleaner/protectant for maintaining.

Plastics:

Meguiars PlastX

Interior:

Meguiars gold class dash and trim foam

Meguiars quik interior detailer

Meguiars Quik out carpet cleaner

Maintainence:

Meguiars Scratch X 2.0

Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer

Equipment:

Meguiars G220 DA polisher

8006 pad (x 3)

9007 pad (x 2)

Mothers Wax Attack Palm polisher

Countless Meguiars soft buff microfibres and chamois

yea.. my "detailing" wall in my garage is pretty fulll... :blush:

wow nice list, u forgot one more thing - elbow grease :P but i guess u dont need it due to the DA polisher doing the works :)

Okay, please forgive me for probably asking one of the dumbest questions ever, but I am starting to gain more of keen interest in really detailing my car properly. Anyhoo! I am about to pick up the Mother's Wax kit shortly - now I gather that it is Mother's version of the G220 DA that Meguairs has? So I can then basically achieve exactly the same results using it?

Also, what do you do to clean the pads after use? Or do you just stick to using one type of product on each pad, and buy new ones as needed?

Overall though I like that process very much and is similar to what I do myself - although in Bendigo I'm not allowed to hand wash so I go and use the car wash (although I do not use the hogs brush as it leaves scratches). And then obviously I would only be doing the full wax and polish/scratch removal every couple of months. Normal routine is just to dry the car down, clean the interior, polish the wheels (Meguiars Chrome Polish is wonderful!) etc

I have not used Swirl X or Scratch X before, are they easy to use?

both are really good when u have swirls and scratches (that dont catch ur finger nail in them). u need to work it in a few times if ur doing it by hand. i prefer this as i'm not comfortable with the DA as u can easily overheat the paint and break the top clear coat. but the DA can def cut ur work time in half if u know what ur doing :)

both are really good when u have swirls and scratches (that dont catch ur finger nail in them). u need to work it in a few times if ur doing it by hand. i prefer this as i'm not comfortable with the DA as u can easily overheat the paint and break the top clear coat. but the DA can def cut ur work time in half if u know what ur doing :)

Ah cool, well that sounds alright then. Yeah I am a touch worried getting this Mothers Kit, although I have seen it used on my car to great result and would like to try my own hand at it - perhaps the difference with it then is it's not quite as powerful as the DA?

-DAvo, that is a hectic wash man. I love seeing that there are other people just as enthusiastic about car cleaning like me. When I would detail the car often I thought I was crazy and the only person to go to such lengths, but its good to know its more of a passion to be the clean ride on the block then some sort of weird addiction :P(Well there is some addiction in it :lol:) and that I'm not the only one.

Your cleaning list looks really good, but since I do not have a DA and everything is by hand, I need to keep it basic or else if I tried to do it like you my arms would fall off.

you'll find that the DA polisher is acctually not able to cause the type of damage you are talkig about... being a Dual Action polisher means it spins off axis, you are probably refering to a Rotary Polisher.. which operates at much much higher RPM's and does not randomly orbit.

Tash - If you buy the mothers kit, i believe it is the "mothers wax attack" kit? if thats the case, then that machine is very very mild and will not marr your clearcoat.

in other words, dont be afraid to use machine buffers! DA polishers are designed to not harm clearcoats! (DA polisher = Safe, Rotary Polisher = potential to damage clearcoats if use incorrectly)

to clean your pads there are a few methods.. if you are using the DA polisher, then "cleaning your pad on the fly" is a popular method, and from my experience works pretty well.

usually you would have 1 pad for a particular TYPE of product, for example, i have a pad purely to be used with aggressive cleaners such as Ultimate compound and ScratchX, and a pad soley for mild paint cleaners such as swirlX/M205 etc etc

if at the end of the day you cant afford or be bothered buying multiple pads, then making sure you rinse the pad out after each use with water and possibly a small amount of detergent (make sure you rinse ALL of it out) will suffice.

hope that answers your question.

Thanks -DAvo, that answers my questions perfectly :)

Yes I will be getting the Mother's Wax Attack kit so good to hear that it is gentle on the paintwork. I have seen it used once before on my car (to great effect with just wax and polish) and feel pretty confident I will be able to use it well.

Good info about the pads too, I know the kit comes with two (one I'll use for wax and one for the polish) so I will invest in another down the track then that I can use products like Scratch X on.

One other query, I only plan on doing the whole lot every couple of months, and probably something like the scratch removal every 4-5 months. So then for that time the process would be wash, clay, scratch x, polish, then wax?

Edit: I just saw your other posts in the topic about Scratch X and see that you said it works best for spot repairs. Would Ultimate Compound be better to use after the clay before you polish?? Sorry for all the questions, guess I'm looking for the best process and products for the 2-3 monthly general wax and polish, and then for more serious scratch removal.

Edited by Tash

Thanks -DAvo, that answers my questions perfectly :)

Yes I will be getting the Mother's Wax Attack kit so good to hear that it is gentle on the paintwork. I have seen it used once before on my car (to great effect with just wax and polish) and feel pretty confident I will be able to use it well.

Good info about the pads too, I know the kit comes with two (one I'll use for wax and one for the polish) so I will invest in another down the track then that I can use products like Scratch X on.

One other query, I only plan on doing the whole lot every couple of months, and probably something like the scratch removal every 4-5 months. So then for that time the process would be wash, clay, scratch x, polish, then wax?

Edit: I just saw your other posts in the topic about Scratch X and see that you said it works best for spot repairs. Would Ultimate Compound be better to use after the clay before you polish?? Sorry for all the questions, guess I'm looking for the best process and products for the 2-3 monthly general wax and polish, and then for more serious scratch removal.

tash, ultimate compound would certainly be a more suitable product that scratch x, however you need to asses the severity of the swirls or scratches... general rule of thumb is to use the least aggressive product to get the job done, i would say if your swirls are not too bad, then you could probably make do with 2 or 3 passes of swirlX instead of jumping straight onto the ultimate compound.

just bear in mind that if you plan on using either swirl x or ultimate compound, then the mothers wax attack polisher probably wont have the RPM speeds to correct your paint... in which case you may be better off applying by hand... remember any of these products trhat remove swirls need a bit of "passion" when working them into the panel.. as they all work around a "diminishing abrasive"

hope that helps :)

tash, ultimate compound would certainly be a more suitable product that scratch x, however you need to asses the severity of the swirls or scratches... general rule of thumb is to use the least aggressive product to get the job done, i would say if your swirls are not too bad, then you could probably make do with 2 or 3 passes of swirlX instead of jumping straight onto the ultimate compound.

just bear in mind that if you plan on using either swirl x or ultimate compound, then the mothers wax attack polisher probably wont have the RPM speeds to correct your paint... in which case you may be better off applying by hand... remember any of these products trhat remove swirls need a bit of "passion" when working them into the panel.. as they all work around a "diminishing abrasive"

hope that helps :)

Thank you, that's a big help :) So I guess then the safest method is obviously to stick to using the polisher simply to apply wax and polish and go by hand to remove any other marks. Looking at the whole process applying by hand for that would probably work best so that I'm able to concentrate on one area at a time.

There are some pretty deep scratches around the door handles I would like to attack, and some various white scratches here and there, although I'm not sure if they're too deep to do anything about. Bit of light swirling on the bonnet and boot so I reckon I will give that swirlX a go :)

Final question (I hope!) - I would be applying any scratch removal product after a wash and clay bar but before I polish it then wax it?

Final question (I hope!) - I would be applying any scratch removal product after a wash and clay bar but before I polish it then wax it?

spot on!

for your case, the process would go something like

1. Wash

2. Clay

3. Paint correction

4. Polish (this step is purely optional if you are using swirlX or ultimate compound, as the whole idea of "diminishing abrasives" is that when you initially apply the product and start working it into the panel, it will slowly break down until it becomes a polishing compound...)

5. Wax (however many layers you choose to put on, most of the time 2 layers is enough to ensure uniform coverage and good gloss, be sure to wait for the wax to set before you remove it, and for optimal results, give it at least a few hours before you apply the second coat.)

6. step back and admire the shine :)

Tash, in your case, the marks around the door handles would most lkely be caused by keys/rings etc... in that case i would recommend you try ultimate compound, or scratch X if you have some. You certainly could do the job with SwirlX but you may have to repeat the process a few more times compared to the ultimate compound to remove all the scratches...

:) any questions pls dont be afraid to ask, always happy to help :)

Thank you so so much - I hope this has been helpful for other people too as it's certainly been helpful for me :) I've never tried any type of scratch removal myself so I will go looking for either Ultimate Compound or ScratchX, and probably some SwirlX for those finer marks on the boot/bonnet. Looking forward to trying this now! Although decisions decisions, do I do it before I drive up to Sydney or when I'm there? Lol.. Probably wash it and clay it and do the scratch removal and polish & wax before and then just wash it and polish and wax again when I'm up there.

Thank you so so much - I hope this has been helpful for other people too as it's certainly been helpful for me :) I've never tried any type of scratch removal myself so I will go looking for either Ultimate Compound or ScratchX, and probably some SwirlX for those finer marks on the boot/bonnet. Looking forward to trying this now! Although decisions decisions, do I do it before I drive up to Sydney or when I'm there? Lol.. Probably wash it and clay it and do the scratch removal and polish & wax before and then just wash it and polish and wax again when I'm up there.

you're welcome :)

yeah i agree, as you said - do your surface prep before you get to the meet, its a lot better to do it in the comfort of your own garage...

if you want some further info, in case i have missed something, check these youtube vids out, i found them to be pretty useful when doing my research into what was needed for my car...

you're welcome :)

yeah i agree, as you said - do your surface prep before you get to the meet, its a lot better to do it in the comfort of your own garage...

Hahah, unfortunately I've got a pretty narrow carport, so I've taken to parking the car on the nature strip after I come back from a wash! But that's a good idea then, I'll book myself out for Sunday the 30th and do all of that then so then it's only a quick go over for the meet :clap:

I will check out those YouTube vids when I get home :D I keep forgetting about YouTube and that just about everything is on there lol

Davo,

Where are you sourcing all the Mirror glaze products? Also are you buying it in 1.9L/3.8L or the 473mL?

Oh yeah, and thanks for the offer in the other topic.

I think i may source some of the Meguiar's stuff from the U.S. soon.

Thanks.

Edit: Davo, what is your opinion on Paste Vs Liquid Wax. I've always used liquid.

Edited by u54mot

Davo,

Where are you sourcing all the Mirror glaze products? Also are you buying it in 1.9L/3.8L or the 473mL?

Oh yeah, and thanks for the offer in the other topic.

I think i may source some of the Meguiar's stuff from the U.S. soon.

Thanks.

Edit: Davo, what is your opinion on Paste Vs Liquid Wax. I've always used liquid.

hey mate

i get my local repco to order in the specialty products such as M21 synthetic sealant and M205 ultra finishing polish...

you'll generally find M07 showcar polish and M26 hi-tech yellow wax on the shelf at most repco or supercheap auto stores (at least here in WA they are)

I am only going for the regular sized bottles, as i only really detail my car and the missus car so they last me a fair while... if they had bulk ultimate quik detailer id be all over that thou :P

just dont try and order direct from meguiars USA, they wont ship internationally... :( i think Autogeek will ship thou, but you really have to buy a lot to make it worth while with postage..

as for liquid vs paste... would say i prefer liquid, for a few reasons

1. easier to use with a DA polisher

2. no chance of getting dust/foreign particles on the surface of the paste wax while its open

3. when refering to M26 in paste form, it is a right pain in the a.Rse to remove, even with the thinnest layer on...

the only con i can see from liquids is the chance that you may apply too much product, hence wasting or creating longer than needed drying/set times.

my only gripe about Meguiars Aust (motoractiv) is that they dont bring in M26 hitech wax into the country in liquid form... only paste... as that is to this date, the only carnubara wax that i could layer effectively for some awsome deep reflections... even in white paint! - hopefully the goldclass plus wax will come close to it...

what products do you use u54mot? having a black aurion would lead to some insane deep gloss! i would love to have a black aurion for that very reason...

what products do you use u54mot? having a black aurion would lead to some insane deep gloss! i would love to have a black aurion for that very reason...

I've got all Meguiar's ....i've got one Mirror Glaze product which is the poilish the M07...but i think it's the same as the Polish in the 3 Step Process.

I'm using one Mother's Product which is the FX Spray Wax. I've also used the NXT Spray wax, which is rubbish, haha.

My list is sort of the same as your's with the exception of all the Mirror Glaze products.

I've got all Meguiar's ....i've got one Mirror Glaze product which is the poilish the M07...but i think it's the same as the Polish in the 3 Step Process.

I'm using one Mother's Product which is the FX Spray Wax. I've also used the NXT Spray wax, which is rubbish, haha.

My list is sort of the same as your's with the exception of all the Mirror Glaze products.

yeah nxt spray wax is like the ugly smelly kid of the meguiars family... :P if you want a good spray detailer, go for ultimate quik detailer :)

oh and for polish.. yeah they are both pretty much the same except m07 is friendlier to use with a DA

but IMO get yourself some M205 ultra finishing polish and prepare to be amazed at the depth and reflections you get ;) hands down my favorite meguiars product!

yeah nxt spray wax is like the ugly smelly kid of the meguiars family... tongue.gif if you want a good spray detailer, go for ultimate quik detailer smile.gif

oh and for polish.. yeah they are both pretty much the same except m07 is friendlier to use with a DA

but IMO get yourself some M205 ultra finishing polish and prepare to be amazed at the depth and reflections you get wink.gif hands down my favorite meguiars product!

Yeah i've got at least four bottles of the Ultimate Quik Detailer, i've got a bottle of Ultimate Quick Wax, but haven't used it yet, also have the Meg's Wash N Wax, still haven't used that yet.

I'll get around to trying M205 one day.

Thanks.

With the Microfibre cloths, do you guys wash and reuse them? Like when you are using it to buff out the wax by hand, it leaves a whole heap of hard residue on it.

With the Microfibre cloths, do you guys wash and reuse them? Like when you are using it to buff out the wax by hand, it leaves a whole heap of hard residue on it.

you sure do! at $13 bucks each (for meguiars) you cant afford not to look after them :P

just chuck them into the washing machine, but avoid using fabric softner, and every few months chuck some white vinegar in there to freshen them up :)

Here is all of my products.

My new buffer sitting in the background. I turned it on, it's a very good machine! I didn't know something like this existed, if I knew I would have got it ages ago! When I was looking for buffers, it was either really expensive ones or really cheapo ones and none in between. This one is perfect for that in between.

Thanks heaps davo :toast:

DSCN2817.jpg

DSCN2820.jpg