Is this normal?

I've got a 02' manual and has done 130000 on the clock. I always have high r.p.m when doing 100+ km/hr on fifth gear. It reaches 3000rpm when doing 100km/hr, 3500rpm @ 110 and 4000 rpm @ 120. Clutch was replaced not long ago, so it wouldn't be the problem. Can anyone tell if this is normal? Or how can I fix this?

I've got a 02' manual and has done 130000 on the clock. I always have high r.p.m when doing 100+ km/hr on fifth gear. It reaches 3000rpm when doing 100km/hr, 3500rpm @ 110 and 4000 rpm @ 120. Clutch was replaced not long ago, so it wouldn't be the problem. Can anyone tell if this is normal? Or how can I fix this?

Its normal i believe. Corollas have relatively shorter ratios then other vehicles.

My Sportivo does 3400rpm at 100km/h in 6th gear :P

yeah top gear on most cars rev around 3000 rpm... but mine is 3200 rpm on 6th :)

Not most :lol:

.... 1800RPM at 100km/h in 6th.

As everyone has mentioned , its normal for that rev range at that speed.

I rather have my Rev sitting at 3 or under at 110km but the Sportivo's have a mind of their own sitting at 3 3/4 ..

The V6's look impressive on the highways sitting under 2000 like DJKORs car..

My stivo does 2900 RPM @ 100 KM/H :P :P :P

Mine at the same speed sits at click over 3 . (at 3 if i drive at 80-90 km/hr)

What profile tyres are you running Guni ?

Recently i changed from 205/45/16 to 205/50/16 but they revs are the same , if anything this week my fuel consumption got shot to pieces.. lost about a 100km at the same sort of Fuel use. Not happy Jan :(

Recently i changed from 205/45/16 to 205/50/16 but they revs are the same , if anything this week my fuel consumption got shot to pieces.. lost about a 100km at the same sort of Fuel use. Not happy Jan :(

Guni is using the Celica gearbox from memory (taller 6th gear).

In regards to your tyre size change, tyres aren't exactly 205 mm wide, nor exactly 50% for the sidewall. Better off measuring the circumference yourself to know the true overall diameter (as even air pressure and the compression of the contact patch has an effect).

Lower revs don't always mean less fuel is used, fuel used depends on load, which is linked to throttle position. For example at 60 km/h a Sportivo will use slightly more fuel in 6th than in 5th. But at 70 km/h 6th is better. Which is also why the Commodores with 6 speed boxes use less fuel at 100 km/h in 5th than 6th, but at 120 km/h 6th is better.

In regards to your tyre size change, tyres aren't exactly 205 mm wide, nor exactly 50% for the sidewall. Better off measuring the circumference yourself to know the true overall diameter (as even air pressure and the compression of the contact patch has an effect).

Lower revs don't always mean less fuel is used, fuel used depends on load, which is linked to throttle position. For example at 60 km/h a Sportivo will use slightly more fuel in 6th than in 5th. But at 70 km/h 6th is better. Which is also why the Commodores with 6 speed boxes use less fuel at 100 km/h in 5th than 6th, but at 120 km/h 6th is better.

Thanks for providing a clear explaination SD ..

With the tyre change my driving pattern is the same however the fuel consumption is not.And there are hardly any variables i can think of.(other then the tyres)

Never the less , i should leave this thread to the topic and not hijack it .

Just the 6th gear is from the Celica's. Every other gear from 2nd and onwards is taller so less shifting required and so on ...

Also LSD included :toast: :toast: :toast:

yeah top gear on most cars rev around 3000 rpm... but mine is 3200 rpm on 6th :)

thanks for poitning that out darryl :) i forgot to mention about the different revs in different number of cylinders...

for 4 cylinders, at 100km/h the engine has to work harder for it to maintain that speed... kept around 3 to 3.4k there abouts... TRD aurion (correect me if i'm wrong) a 6 cyl supercharged? :D so it works less to keep constant speed. also the size of the engine got nothing to do with it (eg F1 cars have like a 1.8L engine but on 8 cyl for example, hence they can have a higher speed in the lesser rev ranges on higher gears)

thanks for poitning that out darryl :) i forgot to mention about the different revs in different number of cylinders...

for 4 cylinders, at 100km/h the engine has to work harder for it to maintain that speed... kept around 3 to 3.4k there abouts... TRD aurion (correect me if i'm wrong) a 6 cyl supercharged? :D so it works less to keep constant speed. also the size of the engine got nothing to do with it (eg F1 cars have like a 1.8L engine but on 8 cyl for example, hence they can have a higher speed in the lesser rev ranges on higher gears)

Umm its got nothing to do with the engine. Its to do with the gearbox and the gear ratios in each gear..

eg F1 cars have like a 1.8L engine but on 8 cyl for example, hence they can have a higher speed in the lesser rev ranges on higher gears)

F1 cars are currently 2.4L V8s, previously 3.0L V10s by the way. And they can rev that high because of their bore/stroke ratio, not the fact that they are V8s. In the '80s there were 1.5L 4cylinder turbos that could still hit 12,000rpm with ease.

Umm its got nothing to do with the engine. Its to do with the gearbox and the gear ratios in each gear..

It has to do with both the engine and the gearbox. The gearbox should be matched to the torque characteristics of the engine to ensure that you have correct spacing between the gears, top gear is tall enough to allow efficient cruising but also allow acceleration. For two identically sized cars with the same rolling resistance and drag characteristics but with different engine capacities (take a Camry and an Aurion), the 4-cyl car will produce significantly less torque and thus need shorter gear ratios in order to provide the same motive power (for instance overcoming aero drag to maintain cruise on a freeway), whereas the 6 will have better torque down low and thus can utilise taller gearing.

One reason why 6th in a V8 Commodore is geared for a trip to the moon, because it has the torque down low to keep the car moving at that speed at only 1300-1500rpm-ish.