What 10W30 oil?

I've been reading through these threads for some oil for the car since the car is due in 3000KM so I want to start getting the oils and stuff and have it ready when the day comes to change it.

But a lot of the oils mentioned are hard to find. I even have trouble finding them online and no where can I find it online to purchase.

So if people can help me with my selection of which oil to use that is READILY AVAILABLE at my local Supercheap and/or autobahn that would be great.

I'm looking to spend around $40 on the oil. I'm really not fussed about these super high quality oils, what can you recommend for the Aurion?

I'm thinking of getting the dealer one but unfortunately since the Aurion takes 6.1 litres it will cost a fair bit at the dealer.

I've been looking at these: http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/motor-oil/hpr/hpr_5

or this http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/motor-oil/everyday-motor-oil/everyday_driving_full_synthetic_10w-40

Would this be okay for the Aurion?

Edited by unique

Penrite has a good list of products.

If they recommend it, it'll be the right one.

They recommend HPR 5, a semi-synth 5W40

Edited by boxerboy

Penrite has a good list of products.

If they recommend it, it'll be the right one.

They recommend HPR 5, a semi-synth 5W40

Yeah I looked at the recommended list for the Aurion and they recommend the HPR 5. But also it says I can use the 10W40 "Everyday oil"

So which one should I use.

maybe ask your toyota dealer what brand of oils they use... i recently had mine serviced and as always i asked them to use fully synthetic oils... turns out they use mobil 1 fully synthetic oil.

for the cost of the toyota advantage service ($130.00 cap) i only paid a little bit more for the use of the oil... which is normally close to $100.00 from the shops??

10winter40 means the 10 weight is for cold engines...the higher the number the more viscous.

A thin oil has a lower number and flows more easily, while thick oils have a higher number and are more resistant to flow.

10winter40 means the 10 weight is for cold engines...the higher the number the more viscous.

A thin oil has a lower number and flows more easily, while thick oils have a higher number and are more resistant to flow.

Ahh okay, so I guess the semi syn 5W40 for the aurion should be okay.

Yes, more than adequate.

Yes, more than adequate.

Cheers, sounds like I found a new oil for the car. Will be using this from now on on every service and supply it to the dealer yearly for the 15K service while I do the 7.5k service myself.

maybe ask your toyota dealer what brand of oils they use... i recently had mine serviced and as always i asked them to use fully synthetic oils... turns out they use mobil 1 fully synthetic oil.

for the cost of the toyota advantage service ($130.00 cap) i only paid a little bit more for the use of the oil... which is normally close to $100.00 from the shops??

Doubt it very much , Toyota would never use a $100 oil and charge $30 for Labour .. = $130 for their work .

Toyota use their own branded oils unless otherwise supplied something else by the customer ..

Sometimes ppl will only tell you what you want to hear , even if it is a lie ..

Never believe a word that comes from the dealer , they didnt become rich being honest .

Edited by Rolla & Sao Boy

Toyota do not use Mobil 1 oil. I took a little tour of their service centre when they were changing my oil and found out what oil they were using :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

They use Castrol Magnatec Professional 5W40 oil. This oil is similar to the Magnatec the public uses and from pervious experience that oil was complete sh*t. It actually produced more sludge in my Camry. :angry:

Edited by Hamster

Toyota do not use Mobil 1 oil. I took a little tour of their service centre when they were changing my oil and found out what oil they were using :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

They use Castrol Magnatec Professional 5W40 oil. This oil is similar to the Magnatec the public uses and from pervious experience that oil was complete sh*t. It actually produced more sludge in my Camry. :angry:

Thats exactly right Hamster,there is no way dealers are going to go to all the expense and stock a variety of different motor oils, mainly due to economic circumstances.I know for a fact that our local dealers use Castrol and I feel it is Castrol FMX from what I have seen 44 gallon (205litre drums ).of the stuff

Emagine how much oil they would use in one day doing services,not only on vehicles that require 10w/30 also on vehicles that need 10w/40, 20w50, so they use a grade that covers a wide range.

If they are telling you that they only put top quality toyota recommended fully synthetic in then they are lying thru their teeth

That is what I was thinking, the dealer aint going to put in fully synthetic oil and only charge you a bit more and be out of pocket by over $100.

Might want to check with your dealer davo.