ryco oil filters

Genuine all the way for me. My mechanic put a Ryco in my car once. He doesn't supply my filters anymore. It ran like a dog until next service, put genuine back in, problem solvered. And for the couple extra dollars for genuine, why would anybody even try aftermarket?

it is standard for oil filters to let unfiltered oil through. They have a piece of spring steal at the end of the filter media holding it in place, so when the oil pressure gets too high the filter media can move down and let the oil bypass it.

This was not the case with what I have seen - allowing unfiltered oil 100% of the time.

If you’re on here asking about the correct oil and filters to use (or even the fact your on an owners club to begin with) shows you care about your car and want to look after it so i can't see why anybody wouldn’t spend the couple extra bucks and get a Genuine product.

Cut them both open and have a look at them put the under a microscope, have a closer look at the seals and o ring. Sure some are as good as a Holden genuine filter but Toyota filters are regarded as the best genuine filters in the world. Few a bucks why bother? And with all the issues we see of cars coming in running like dogs with non genuine filters must hold some weight that they are still inferior to the genuine article. If you have a new or used car warranty the manufacturer or warranty provided will just laugh if you have ANY engine issue and it has a non genuine filter.

I can't speak for all filters, but I've been using non-genuine since 75k (just did a change today @ 152k) and haven't had an issue.

I can see your passion for Genuine; you're like a Jesus of the Genuine Parts World.

I can't speak for all filters, but I've been using non-genuine since 75k (just did a change today @ 152k) and haven't had an issue.

I can see your passion for Genuine; you're like a Jesus of the Genuine Parts World.

AHAHAHA oh dude that made me laugh so much, damn i needed that tonight haha awesome i rate lol

I've been using Ryco filters for probably a combined 200,000k with no dramas whatsoever (except for the one time when the seal stick to the block and I made a big mess of the driveway, but that was my own fault), only went genuine last time because I was already at Toyota for some other stuff

I brought one for the iload last week, brought that and some nulon full synth. I ended up tossing it!

the holes were half the size and the unit physicaly 1/4 smaller.... i got this iload boosted quiet a bit and the thought of any restriction is a bit of a worry.

Not saying ryco arn't anygood, ive been using them for years on all my older cars. But this time they had got it wrong.

99percent of the time i recon you wouldnt have a prob.

IMG_3611.jpg

Thing you have to remember is after market ones are made to fit quite a few different cars all with different needs and characteristics they make sacrifices in there design to suit more models Genuine is tailored made to that specific engine.

But if you must go aftermarket Ryco are mostly considered the best of a bad bunch lol

I personally have switched from K&N to Purolator PureONE filters since my last post.

Basically the same filter except there is no removal nut (redundant given I can remove by hand anyway), has a rough surface so there is no need for a filter wrench and it has more filtering surface than the K&N at about 1/2 the cost.

Using Valvoline filters now because they were left over from my 4AGE and I couldn't fault them, I just got given a couple of TRD filters and they are amazing, look too good to fit...

Toyota do a huge amount of testing with oil filters by the way..

• 2 weeks later...