Battery upgrades for audio install

Hey guys, quick question, I have just installed a sound system with DVD headunit, and noticed it takes about 10 minutes to kill the battery, before the audio install, the battery could last for hours.

So is the solution to having a bigger battery so I dont need to always use the jump pack?

If so, is there any recommended batteries which lasts?

Cheers, Mike

• 2 weeks later...

it really depends on how much you want to spend. alot of ppl use the optima D34 yellow top battery which retails for about $450 but i think you can pick it up for about $340 or so.

http://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/shop/product/4357/d34.html - $322.62 but its in sydney..

also check on FHRX they are having a bulk buy special for $300?? but still wont guarantee you can play your system for hours without starting the car..but it will be better then your stock battery.

• 2 weeks later...

How have you wired it? it sounds like theres something wrong if it's killing it really quickly if it's just a deck you have installed. I have a DVD deck an amp and sub etc and my battery lasts for as long as it should. ( although i never really use the system unless the cars in operation )

Pretty sure tht is a combination of the battery already starting to die and larger current draw. Another thing to note is most batteries especially the lead acid ones will not survive intact from being run flat as they weren't designed for it. I'd look into the optima batteries or the exide orbital range as they are virtually the same thing. My optima battery has been in the car for over 6 years now and that is with a big system and I can run it off battery for 2 hours or more depending on the volume. So realistically it is well worth the extra $$ as I would have had to replaced a normal battery several times by now.