Android Apps

httttt

Hey people,

Who here has an Android phone and what are your fav apps?

The below link is my profile on AppBrain.

http://www.appbrain.com/user/hiddentaco/hts-app-list

Apps I actually use everyday:

GMail/Calendar (I use GMail as my mail client for my domain)

Gesture Search

Auto Mount (I use the phone as a usb device to play music in my car)

Swype beta (Awesome swipe keyboard!!)

Apps I use occasionally:

AndroidPitt

AppBrain

Flashlight

Google Goggles/Barcode Scanner

Google Maps

DatPiff

Apps that are just cool but I barely even use:

NoiseAlert

Hoccer

Surveyor

Air Control

Droid Jump

deciBel

Compass

Metal Detector

Facebook

Slugs

Phone: Sony Xperia X10. Yes it is running Android 1.6, but it still runs well.

What phone do you have Jeff?

AppBrain was good (for me) at first... then I just didn't really like it. Not that it's not useful, but I find that the Market does just what I need. Plus AppBrain uses the Market application when downloading stuff anyway, so I just don't see the need. It's all a personal thing though.

I don't have too much on my phone, but the applications which I have downloaded and use frequently are:

ASTRO File Manager - The name is obvious as to what it is, and damn it is good.

Handcent SMS - Definitely much better than the standard Messaging application.

Smart Keyboard Pro - A paid keyboard application but a bloody good one.

Xperia FlashLight - Self explanatory

Battery Snap - Used as a homescreen widget for battery monitoring. Also opens up to a great interface with dynamic discharging/charging graphs and stats.

Bluetooth File Transfer - Awesome Bluetooth file sharing application.

Advanced Task Killer - Always running in the background to kill apps running in memory every time the display turns off. Good for saving battery and improving phone speed.

Startup Auditor - Only ran once but always there. Used to prevent programs auto starting when you reboot your phone. Useful for such applications like Moxier Mail that just don't want to die once opened on startup.

Beautiful Widgets - Paid application that has some neat widgets. I use it for the clock/calendar/weather home screen display as it is quite nice.

I have a HTC Magic. Nothing special, but I like the size and it is cheap (bang for buck).

The only thing I use AppBrain for is the Hot Apps list (today) because the new or upcomming Apps seem to show up there more often.

I will have to give some of the Apps you have a go. I had a task killer, but if you read up on it you will note that it isn't needed and wont save battery life (unless your killing a rouge app). Even though you paid for a keyboard, you should try Swype, it rocks!

If you havnt used Google Goggles I suggest you try it out!

Secaboy: There is no need to "try", I have compared a lot of the functionality and apps of my Android phone with my mates Iphone and there isn't anything I could say that would make me definitively say the other one is extremely better (except the most negative draw back of owning an iphone: having to where a turtle neck sweater and touching other males genitals.) They are both very good, the Android is just better.

I had a task killer, but if you read up on it you will note that it isn't needed and wont save battery life (unless your killing a rouge app).

If you have an Xperia X10, I'm sure you would think differently :lol:. That said, the noticeable effects are that the phone is usually a little zippier. The battery saving is just an extra.

Even though you paid for a keyboard, you should try Swype, it rocks!

I've tried it already, but just didn't work for me. I guess that's why there are so many apps out there. Everyone is different. I just found this keyboard to work best for me and for a couple of bucks, there certainly aren't any complaints from me.

If you havnt used Google Goggles I suggest you try it out!

Yeah. I have it installed. I only use it to 'show off' what it can do. Apart from that, it just feels a little gimmicky to me.

If I had an X10 I wouldn't be complaining. LOL. The HTC Magic has nothing on the X10.

I started using Handcent and I have to say I like it! Thanks for that one. And start-up Auditor is great. But it isn't often I restart my phone.

• 2 weeks later...

For those Android users out there, I would highly recommend the following video player. Tackles quite a few formats and plays them fairly well, including DivX.

RockPlayer (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3XX6PZKH)

You have to download the file, put it on your phone or external memory and run from a file manager like Astro or equivalent.

• 1 month later...

Since this is the Android thread, I thought I would post this here. For those with an Xperia X10 who want to root your phone, the geeks out there have been really kind:

Root your Xperia X10 and X10 mini in one click

They make it so easy for those like me out there who just CBF doing it the long way.

Edit: I tried this and it did not work. Turns out the person who posted it didn't test it properly either. Apparently though the slightly longer method shown in the following link also works on the X10. I guess I will soon find out:

Root for X10 mini (pro)

Edit 2: I have done the steps as per the edit above and can confirm that it works. My X10 is now rooted. I have this strange dirty feeling now. But I do now have WiFi Tethering.

RockPlayer is awesome but it now makes you pay only once installed (free download). Lame.

I rooted my HTC Magic but had to do it the hard way as they lock this phone down like a mofo. For me there wasnt many perks to rooting over the standard rom except some performance increases.

ADW Launcher is a must on any phone!

There arnt many Apps that I say I use every day as the core functionality of the Android is awesome as is.

For me there wasnt many perks to rooting over the standard rom except some performance increases.

I did it mainly because I just wanted that strange feeling... but moreso because of Tethering. The one thing I miss about my HTC Diamond was the Bluetooth Internet Sharing that comes as standard. Unfortunately even with rooting the X10, I still can't get Bluetooth tethering (damn you 1.6... but that's soon to change), but the Wifi Tethering sure will be better than USB.

Yep! Loved the tethering on my HTC Diamond as well. It got me out of trouble a few times.

Wifi tethering in 2.2 is good yahoo.gif.

Apps that I love!

Transdroid and XBMC Remote.

Those are my most useful non-phone related apps.

• 1 month later...

Hit the wall with my Galaxy S :(

Cant download any apps from Market. Hangs with "starting download" and goes no where. Surfed for half a day on the net for fixes, clearing caches, hard resetting, f*ckin nothing worked! Arrrrrghhhhhh!!!! I guess its off to Optus tomorrow.. not that they will be able to do anything.. F*CK!

My X10 would occasionally do the same when I want to download apps. It sometimes would sit there waiting and can take up to a few minutes before it decides to start. On those occasions, I open up a browser window and browse to a web page. For me, when it starts to download data elsewhere (even from just loading a page), it's enough for the Market app to get it's act together and realise that there is actually a connection open.

Hit the wall with my Galaxy S :(

Cant download any apps from Market. Hangs with "starting download" and goes no where. Surfed for half a day on the net for fixes, clearing caches, hard resetting, f*ckin nothing worked! Arrrrrghhhhhh!!!! I guess its off to Optus tomorrow.. not that they will be able to do anything.. F*CK!

On occasion, I have to start a market download then cancel it and start it again before it does anything.

• 1 month later...

An application which I just obtained that I would highly recommend:

WiFi File Explorer

Saves having to connect your phone to your PC via USB if you want to transfer files to and from. Usually on my laptop I use Bluetooth File Explorer, but my desktop doesn't have Bluetooth. Instead, I would usually have to get my cable, plug the phone in, etc etc. At the same time, it partially charges the battery for the time it is connected which is something I may not want to do.

With WiFi File Explorer, you just turn on your WiFi, connect to your local network, then on any PC connected to that network, you open up a web browser and browse directly to the phone. Easy.

Never ever had any issue with my Galaxy it's been over the top reliable and it ****s all over the iphone - why , because it's not homo

Apps i use are going to take an hour to write down but my favourites include:

MP3Download

Angry Birds

Urbanspoon

Spirit Level

Wordfeud

i can;t be ****d with anymore

Never ever had any issue with my Galaxy it's been over the top reliable and it ****s all over the iphone - why , because it's not homo

Apps i use are going to take an hour to write down but my favourites include:

MP3Download

Angry Birds

Urbanspoon

Spirit Level

Wordfeud

i can;t be ****d with anymore

WIFI FIle Explorer is nice.. Thanks for sharing that one.

Wordfued is mad!. Cheers.

I upgraded from a HTC Magic to a HTC Desire.

Apps I actually use and like:

ADW.Launcher

Clockr

Android Manager

Metal Detector

Transdroid

XBMC Remote

Games:

Barrr

Lumby

Memory Trainer

Slugs Lite

i want plants vs. zombies!

I have it... on my iPhone (and mac :P)

ahh yes i have it on my iphone too! my wife is playing it now and won't give my phone back :(

shes got the samsung galaxy S and waiting for it to come out on andriod...