Steering wheel shakes?

keisuke2k4

Hey guys, i just got two new front tires for my gen4 camry on sunday @ Kmart tire& auto services. They did the wheel alignment balance etc, but i've noticed that when i travel at 100km/h the steering wheel vibrates a bit,

also i've noticed when i brake at 100km/h the steering wheel vibrates a lot more vigorously. At speeds of 80km/h it doesn't shake.

Should i take it back to Kmart, get them to redo the balance/testing?

I had my brakes serviced 2 months ago, they changed the pads and serviced the calipers.

Thanks for your help in advance!!

Cheers,

Id take it back to Kmart and get it checked.

If they say nothing is wrong then could be because you have cheap line tyres.

I recall this happening on the corolla when i put 18 Inch wheels. I had to get Centre (Rings)Caps for the front wheels and "On Car Balance" done which kinda fixed the vibration.

Hey guys, i just got two new front tires for my gen4 camry on sunday @ Kmart tire& auto services. They did the wheel alignment balance etc, but i've noticed that when i travel at 100km/h the steering wheel vibrates a bit,

also i've noticed when i brake at 100km/h the steering wheel vibrates a lot more vigorously. At speeds of 80km/h it doesn't shake.

I had my brakes serviced 2 months ago, they changed the pads and serviced the calipers.

Cheers,

nothing to do with your brakes.. take it back... they failed with the balance

i think they are pretty decent ones, good year regatas or something? I had toyo ones on before, but curb bashed it accidently so had a lump on the side wall of the tire.

So it'll def be the K mart;s fault for stuffing up the balance right?

Yeah Mate, I would take it ASAP before they make up some lame excuse.

The only thing you should get from K-Mart is pressies for the in laws, Not Tyres for your pride and Joy. :)

But anyway, Goodyear's were awsome tyres while they were made onshore, not really sure about now.

guys, i took it back to K mart this arvo, they redid the wheel alignments. But, steering wheel still vibrates when braking at 100km/h + an hour. Its fine less than 80km/h.

Haha, I agree.. it was kinda last minute to replace tires. And Kmart Tire & Auto service @ knox was right next door to where i live so just popped by over there.

Do you think i should go get the disc brakes machined? Or what could be the problem.

THanks in Advance guys.

guys, i took it back to K mart this arvo, they redid the wheel alignments. But, steering wheel still vibrates when braking at 100km/h + an hour. Its fine less than 80km/h.

Haha, I agree.. it was kinda last minute to replace tires. And Kmart Tire & Auto service @ knox was right next door to where i live so just popped by over there.

Do you think i should go get the disc brakes machined? Or what could be the problem.

THanks in Advance guys.

It's got nothing to do with the alignment if the steering wheel starts shaking from 100kms onwards.

This is purely a balancing issue just as Spillzee stated earlier. Tell the Kmart dude to balance it above the 140+km. They get lazy and sometimes only balance tyres upto the minimum required as it saves them time.

If it still vibrates whilst braking after doing the above, then get your rotors machined. If your rotors were warped in the first place, you would feel both the brake pedal and steering wheel will shake/vibrate whilst braking.

• 6 months later...

The other possibility is that the brakes need re calibration or that the pads have not previously been installed correctly. If they wear unevenly u will find that braking at higher speeds will cause them to grab at different pressures due to the amount of meat left on the bone so to speak. At slower speeds due to the lower number of revolutions the wheel is doing the uneven grab is less violent and less noticeable to the point where it can be negligible and can be misconstrued as uneven camber or bumps in the road hence u don't notice it. If the wheels aren't the issue check ur brakes. Could be pads or rotors. in any case best to get it sorted straight away. Just some ideas for u. :)

Had similar issue with my Corolla. Could be that the alignment is not holding that was done due to worn castor bushing. If you replace them been told that a solid polyurethane bushing is the way to go.......just my random 2cents worth

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers,

The Goodyear tyres kmart sell are *****. I have 4 almost new ones that I removed from my car as kmart couldn't fix the out of balance wobbles. Replaced them with Bob Jane tyres and the difference was extreme. kmart also did a wheel alignment without even checking the tyre pressure (one was 20psi)

Avoid kmart unless you like problems.

• 6 months later...

Although this is a very old thread...

Anyway, I know at any tire place, you can get it balanced two different ways? One from the centre cap, or from the drill bits?

Well, I normally ask for the drill bit one, seeing as it's (apparently) more accurate, and hence why bigger FWD wheels need them to be balanced from...

But I don't know, just only an assumption...

have you tried the one in mcintyre rd ? uhmm The Tyre Professionals ? they seem to be pretty decent.

or go to Bob Janes,.. new one in sunshine.. never heard from them yet, but ive been goin to the one at taylors lakes,

go to good year in sunshine (next to gold leaf), ask for kha, they do good prices and aren't as busy as tyre professionals... mcintyre road kinda p*** me off but gold leaf parking isn't much better..

Although this is a very old thread...

Anyway, I know at any tire place, you can get it balanced two different ways? One from the centre cap, or from the drill bits?

Well, I normally ask for the drill bit one, seeing as it's (apparently) more accurate, and hence why bigger FWD wheels need them to be balanced from...

But I don't know, just only an assumption...

if u have aftermarket wheels on hub centric rings, u need only to balance it from the hub center. if not u have to get them lug centrically balanced. it is recommended that you get hub centric rings to suit ur aftermarket wheels anyways as they stop the vibration at high speeds.