CVT 7 speed transmission (When)

Corolla Altis has paddle shift, CVT 7 speed transmission. Hope it will come to Australia.

This car has been in other countries (such as Taiwan) for a while.

Australia is always a step behind

a 7 speed CVT?

This does not make any sense, a CVT (or Continuously Variable Transmission) has an infinite number of gear ratios (hence gears).

Besides, why in the world would you want a CVT?

a 7 speed CVT?

This does not make any sense, a CVT (or Continuously Variable Transmission) has an infinite number of gear ratios (hence gears).

In Taiwan, Toyota Corolla Altis is equipped with a CVT 7 speed, with 2.0 Litre Dual VVTi Engine, it posted very very good sales so far. This transmission saves fuel so much

In Thailand

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28980

Here explains

http://www.jogjaspeed.com/2010/07/26/2011-grand-new-toyota-corolla-altis-review/

In youtube,

(sorry, but it is in Chinese) explains the details

If you watch the video, the engine keeps the rpm at 1k to 2k rpm at all times for fuel economy

I share this video because Australia is still using outdated 4 speed auto even for the Rukus (a Corolla Variant in other countries)

Edited by ben yip

a 7 speed CVT?

Most CVTs have "preset" gear ratios to simulate a sequential auto, as well as a full CVT mode. All a bit of faff really unless you dislike the sound of the engine maintaining constant RPM whilst road-speed changes (and since I drive a manual 100% of the time, I hate that sound as it feels like the clutch is slipping).

In 1 video?

sure, its going 260kph and it got there quite fast, but CVT's, DSG, Auto, etc take ALL the fun out of driving

In 1 video?

sure, its going 260kph and it got there quite fast, but CVT's, DSG, Auto, etc take ALL the fun out of driving

Oh yeah, but if I had too choose an auto; CVT would be a selling point for me.

Mums car would be delicious if it had CVT!

Each to their own but I just don't understand how people can put up with a CVT. The sound is just not natural. Just like Hiro said, it feels/sounds like a slipping clutch and/or you get an urge to want to upshift..

If i *had* to have an auto it would be a DSG/SST/PDK/etc (dual clutch semi-manual)

Agreed.

Drove a Golf R32 a few months back, had the DSG gearbox and was rather fun to drive. :)

My point is Corolla has been using CVT in Taiwan and Thailand, why the hell they keep the 4 speed auto here, even the rukus use 4 speed auto, a bizzare..

Sure CVT is not fun to drive, but sales will go up because of the fuel saving.. Many people here loves to have "fun driving", but it is a good replacement for auto and for majority of the people who does not like "fun driving". CVT will boost sales..

Corolla with CVT hit the top sales in Taiwan, blowing other competitors away, but here in Australia. Corolla is a bit boring to drive, very stingy on the accessories,

and top model are unreasonably expensive.. for example, leather seats in corolla is not something special in Asia, but here, only the Corolla Ultima got it, even the moonroof..

Very very stingy on accessories in Australia. Not much Variety as well..

Corolla here has always been outdated with technology, not innovative compared to Asian countries

So I take it that you have analysed the market here in Australia and you know exactly what people are looking for?

Personally, I can't imagine that putting a CVT into a Corolla over here is going to really boost sales any more than where they are already. Just because something works good overseas doesn't automatically mean that it is going to work well over here. The market is not the same.

The market is not the same.

Exactly. For example there has been studies done in various countries for what people say what quality means to them. In Japan, quality means feature packed and technological. While in Australia it means customer service and reliability. Now I didn't mention Thailand or Taiwan; mainly because I don't know their results, but it does show the contrast of different cultures. Toyota are probably looking at the figures for the other cars that have CVT and auto boxes on offer and would be waiting to see what the market is going for. Plus the auto might be a cheaper box for them to use, thus increasing their profit margin.

If you feel strongly that Toyota should have the CVT on offer in Australia send them an email.