international PS3

SuperDave

I'll be headed to Singapore soon and was curious to know if 100% the PS3 is region free (I understand they scrapped that early on?) and if the power units can be used between countries. I've heard that they can, but I'd like a definite if I could. I have 30kg luggage allowance to work with, so would like to use it all :D

From what I know, the ps3 does not have any region locking for games. So you can play games from any region. However Bluray dvds are region locked. So if you are willing to sacrifice watching blurays then you can get one. Also make sure the ps3 is compatible with our power outlet voltages

unfortunately azzman is right. there isn't region coding on the games but there is on the movies

im not really sure, but Australia is region 2/B for bluray while singapore (most of SE Asia) is 1/A

Also for DVD's singapore is region 3 while in OZ its region 4

im hanging out for Gran Turismo,

can't wait to race around the top gear track :clap:

That's ok, I only want it for GT5; but refuse to be taken for a ride by Sony Australia. The PS3 is about $350 AUD in Japan and Singapore. Not sure what the other $150 is for; it's not like the overheads change that much.

The PS3 is about $350 AUD in Japan and Singapore. Not sure what the other $150 is for; it's not like the overheads change that much.

Well once upon a time, Sony were actually at a loss for every PS3 they sold. Not that I think that accounts for the difference in price, but I guess if they can get extra money for it here and there... well it's extra for them.

Shoulda bought a tv and got one free when Sony had that offer :toast:

I can't wait for GT5!! Gotta buy the Logitech g27 steering wheel too

Shoulda bought a tv and got one free when Sony had that offer :toast:

I can't wait for GT5!! Gotta buy the Logitech g27 steering wheel too

Who is getting the signature edition??!?! put your hand up! *puts hand up* haha

If you are saying that its only about $350 then why not just ebay one? I just bought one for $300 posted. There are so many floating around because of the latest bravia offer and people trying to flog off their "free" ps3s

Edit: This seems to be the cheapest at the moment : $350 + $25 postage

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BRAND-NEW-SONY-PS3-120GB-Console-/250686146188?pt=AU_Consoles

Ooo, not a bad price. From reading the comments it seems that there is a new CPU on the way? I don't particularity need HDD space as there is no shortage of it at home. Wonder if it is worth holding out for the possibly better PS3 to run GT5 a bit better; and I don't care about the 3d fad. Might have to check out the Sony shop in Brisbane to see if they too are doing the deal, or if it is indeed Sydney only.

• 2 months later...

That deal from SonyCentral ended a day after it was announced. They sold out quick!

Damn i thought I'd check anyway seeing as its a Sony centre I thought it would be like a factory outlet and kept that price.

I think Harvey Norman have it with GT5, controller for $487, 320GB

<br />
<br />That deal from SonyCentral ended a day after it was announced. They sold out quick!<br />
<br />Damn i thought I'd check anyway seeing as its a Sony centre I thought it would be like a factory outlet and kept that price.<br />I think Harvey Norman have it with GT5, controller for $487, 320GB<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I guess you are not in the market for a new 3D tv as well?

<br />
<br />That deal from SonyCentral ended a day after it was announced. They sold out quick!<br />
<br />Damn i thought I'd check anyway seeing as its a Sony centre I thought it would be like a factory outlet and kept that price.<br />I think Harvey Norman have it with GT5, controller for $487, 320GB<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I guess you are not in the market for a new 3D tv as well?

No chance, very happy with my still new LED :D