ZRE Engine Oil

jtron85

OK i know a reasonable amount about cars but not much to sweet FA about oils, i just havent bothered to learn to much in this department. Im a pretty spirited driver of my ZRe and have been thinking i should be running something a bit "better" in mine than the OEM oil. As we are soon coming into summer, whats my best option?

Ps, does everyone else have a bit of a light rattle on startup until she warms up?

OK i know a reasonable amount about cars but not much to sweet FA about oils, i just havent bothered to learn to much in this department. Im a pretty spirited driver of my ZRe and have been thinking i should be running something a bit "better" in mine than the OEM oil. As we are soon coming into summer, whats my best option?

Ps, does everyone else have a bit of a light rattle on startup until she warms up?

I know that it's obvious Mobil 1 5w-50 and Castrol Edge 5w-30 sh*ts on the OEM oil but I say anyway. I found the main difference between OEM oil and Mobil/Castrol was the startup and warming up period. I found with the OEM oil, the car revs high for the first min or so but this amount of high rev time is reduced significantly with Mobil/Castrol and warms up quicker (due to the 5w-xx). I also found that the engine was more free-revving in acceleration and more fuel efficient.

When I had Mobil 1 5w-50 in my car over last summer, I knew I could push it without worry. However saying this, some might say 50 might be too thick and a 5w-40 oil will be a better choice for summer for spirited drivers. Castrol is cheaper and somewhat similar to Mobil 1 (to me), so I think I will stick to Castrol Edge 5w-30 for the next service.

Peter.

yes i notice it this morning too pete !

OMG ..... man .... not another oil thread ..... ok ill give it a slight bit of credit that its aimed at ZRE's and not ZZE's but still guys its much for muchness when it comes to these corolla's.

The oil should suit ur environmental surrounds from knowing cold & hot temps and really should be based on its use ....... if ur car is simply a daily driver thats not going to see much hard driving there is no point in forking out $100 a bottle for royal purple. A lot of the mid to high level oil ill be brutally honest i dont think u would see a large different in their performance.

for an N/A car like the ZRE's & ZZE's something like a 5W30 or 5W40 or 10W30 or 10W40 should be about right ..... now if u live in tassy or anywhere else extremely cold u might wanna think about a 0W30-40 oil due to the colder temps.

I use 20W50 Castrol GTX2 in my AE102 since its getting on a bit, 15W40 castrol GTX3 in my avalon since its not as old as the AE but isnt exactly new & 10W40 royal purlpe in the sportivo since it needs the extra care and comfort for the turbo.

For a bit more insight i did a super quick google search and this should help

http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

http://www.driverstechnology.co.uk/oils.htm

Glad to see all the replies, I was curious on what others were running. I wouldn't think any of the ZRE owners would be running anything like Royal Purple or a higher grade, although Plytime could be an exception.

Just to confirm I also get the rattle on start up as well using OEM.

Glad to see all the replies, I was curious on what others were running. I wouldn't think any of the ZRE owners would be running anything like Royal Purple or a higher grade, although Plytime could be an exception.

Some FYI, cold start this morning and saw the rev was only at 1200-1300rpm for the first min or less. I recall it being around 1500rpm when using OEM oil? Someone confirm this. :)

Peter.

I am on Royal Purple after my first 10000km service, my car is now 12xxxkm..

To tell you the truth, my feeling is so bad that I cannot feel a difference after running royal purple, I cannot even feel any difference after installing cat back system...

I can only feel a SLIGHT difference after installing CAI

Many people thinks after they change royal purple will improve performace, there might be slight, but I can hardly feel it,

I think people tend to push their gas pedals more after changing to Royal purple, same as CAI, so people thinks their car has increased performance...There is some illusion there. Like after I change my CAI, i got 5-8KW increase, but that is just equivalent to 108KW, which is the same as Mazada 3, what can you expect from the 108KW engine, but our mind set thinks it is running like a performance car...

My conclusion is, you can try different brands, but I doubt you can hardly feel it, unless proven by dyno...Many often, our mind just confuse us that after changing something, our car will be faster

I am on Royal Purple after my first 10000km service, my car is now 12xxxkm..

To tell you the truth, my feeling is so bad that I cannot feel a difference after running royal purple, I cannot even feel any difference after installing cat back system...

I can only feel a SLIGHT difference after installing CAI

Many people thinks after they change royal purple will improve performace, there might be slight, but I can hardly feel it,

I think people tend to push their gas pedals more after changing to Royal purple, same as CAI, so people thinks their car has increased performance...There is some illusion there. Like after I change my CAI, i got 5-8KW increase, but that is just equivalent to 108KW, which is the same as Mazada 3, what can you expect from the 108KW engine, but our mind set thinks it is running like a performance car...

My conclusion is, you can try different brands, but I doubt you can hardly feel it, unless proven by dyno...Many often, our mind just confuse us that after changing something, our car will be faster

yeah of course there wouldnt be an incredible increase in performance.. its no 2ZZ engine, theres no powerband or turbo/SC. But definitely with each mod you have improved it over stock. I know my trd muffler is way less restrictive than my stock one, lowered springs better handling, injen cai increases torque around mid range and using an aftermarket engine oil will help protect engine life when a few of us often push our cars a bit. you may not notice it, but trust me, every little bit you do helps.

And dont think about it like its just 108kw.. that dont mean sh!t. we didnt buy our ZREs for performance. Why didnt they make ZRE sportivos? sigh

I'm gonna dyno my car sometime soon.. i'll let you know the figures.. and seriously.. im hoping for 80kw with what i've got. thats at the wheels. :)

I use Penrite HPR5 5W-40 atm. Might change to Castrol Edge 5W-30 next service though

hey johnnieboi, not happy with the performance of the HPR5? as for the dyno day, someone asked me to join him when he does it, i'll keep u posted when we go

trust me u don't need the "extra protection" unless u live on red line every single damn day of your life. that saying i'm still in the hunt for an oil analysis in melbourne and i cant find the bugger! :(

I use Penrite HPR5 5W-40 atm. Might change to Castrol Edge 5W-30 next service though

hey johnnieboi, not happy with the performance of the HPR5? as for the dyno day, someone asked me to join him when he does it, i'll keep u posted when we go

trust me u don't need the "extra protection" unless u live on red line every single damn day of your life. that saying i'm still in the hunt for an oil analysis in melbourne and i cant find the bugger! :(

nah its all good. just want to change, see if it makes a difference.

yeah, no lift ftl

• 1 month later...

Just had toyota fill mine today with Castrol Edge 5-30W synth.

Apart from a bad petrol smell after a probably not needed injector clean, i seem to have lost power. Ive never had t push the pedal to the floor stop before, and now i have to. Im not sure if its a fuel thing or the oil change, but im def down on power, it seems to take far too long to increase revs. Anyone else had this problem? Im wondering if the VVTi isnt running properly? Im heading back tomorrow for a re-visit... not happy.

Just had toyota fill mine today with Castrol Edge 5-30W synth.

Apart from a bad petrol smell after a probably not needed injector clean, i seem to have lost power. Ive never had t push the pedal to the floor stop before, and now i have to. Im not sure if its a fuel thing or the oil change, but im def down on power, it seems to take far too long to increase revs. Anyone else had this problem? Im wondering if the VVTi isnt running properly? Im heading back tomorrow for a re-visit... not happy.

sounds like it could be your injectors if your losing power pete. oil change shouldnt change much on the throttle response side of things. Definitely gotta take it back to them. Mine also feels a little bit sluggish to what it used to be after last service, or maybe im just tripping. But still dont know why they would have to clean ur injectors at 20k, engine still brand spanking.

..My personal choice for a ZRE, is use Castrol Edge 5w-30 BUT CHANGE IT YOURSELF..!! call me cynical, but in my personal experience, some Dealers are so $$$ orientated you may not actually end up with the oil you bought and trustingly gave them, actually ending up in your sump..!!

In my dealership, (not Toyota) we had so many apprentices take home the good stuff, and just fill your car with OEM oil...

If you're under warranty, you just need to cop it sweet,accept and trust whats given to you, but be sure to change the oil ( and, if you can, FILTER too ) YOURSELF at 3 months to ensure that the actual oil ( and new filter) YOU choose is in your sump for a reasonable time..

I Always use OEM filters, and a MAJOR brand oil only, the others often don't have the necessary $$ and expertise to completely ensure the very latest technology in purity and additives...just my opinion.

BTW.. Castrol used to offer an oil analysis service, dont know if they still do..? send them a sample, in their provided container, at oil change time, and they'd analyse it and send you back a comprehensive analysis report of all the contaminants therein..anyone know if they still do it..???