ZRE Engine Oil

jtron85

Just let u know I at the back of the car menu (jap version), it said

0w-20 is for new car because it is good for fuel economy

The higher the second number (in this case, 20), means the higher speed and higher workload that it is suitable

Not sure if the english version say this

• 2 weeks later...

Well, took my ZRe back in today to have the Castrol Edge 5W30 dumped out and replaced with the semi synth 15W40 that Toyota use for the ZRe. I have gained low and mid range power back, and the torque to boot!! While the engine does not rev quite as freely as it did with the 5W30, the power had returned with the change over to 15W40. Much better mid range and top end power and its back to normal now. The guy at toyota insisted it wont make any difference, i said i dont care and want it changed. I was right, as was my tuner that has seen things like this happen before with thinner oils and VVTi systems..

Whilst the 5W30 may fell more free revving, i think it is effecting the cam/valve timing.

Im happy again now :D

Castrol Magnatech 10W-40. Does the job for me.

Magnatec is very good but is a stickier oil..as Castrol made it to be, generally ok for early multi valve(incl IZZ-FE), and great for non multi valve engines,

On dual vvti's, and vvtli's needing very thin oil getting to the top of the head very quickly on cold start-up, when using Magnatec, lift the oil filler cap periodically, and look and check for brown sludge build up at the top of the head on cars travelling low kms.....and if seen then change the oil more frequently (say..5000kms max).

Just my opinion...

Well, took my ZRe back in today to have the Castrol Edge 5W30 dumped out and replaced with the semi synth 15W40 that Toyota use for the ZRe. I have gained low and mid range power back, and the torque to boot!! While the engine does not rev quite as freely as it did with the 5W30, the power had returned with the change over to 15W40. Much better mid range and top end power and its back to normal now. The guy at toyota insisted it wont make any difference, i said i dont care and want it changed. I was right, as was my tuner that has seen things like this happen before with thinner oils and VVTi systems..

Whilst the 5W30 may fell more free revving, i think it is effecting the cam/valve timing.

Im happy again now :D

Good to hear that issue is resolved pete. Im still running Penrite HPR-5 5w40 and will do so for next oil change, maybe should give 15w40 a go? Is there some way of reassuring us that some grades of oil eg. 5w30 are affecting the cam/valve timing? Every car may be different, maybe should try out a few different grades for the next few oil changes.

Well thats what i was thinking Johnnie. I can only say this was the case with mine. Im not sure if it has to do with the exhaust flow also? (wow that sounded really noobish :D) I have definitely noticed an improvement. Beyond a doubt. Saying that, i cant be effed driving 3/4 of an hour to do another dyno run with it. I will if i have time but im so busy at this time of year i just cant see me having any time till after Xmas..

I can honestly say that was the problem, its now much pokier and back to being fun to drive. The 5W-30 did rev easier, but just wasnt on song, something wasnt timing right. Now i know many of you guys are running 5W-30, so maybe Im more sensitive or maybe you guys are more used to it? or maybe the injector clean + oil change made it far more noticeable to me? Dunno. I know im much happier now! :D

Sure makes me think.. :unsure: I should have let you take my car for a spin when you were down here, see if it was really the oil. All I can say is Mobil 1 is awesome but it's a bit more dear! :lol:

Holy moley! I was wondering if I should change from OEM oil to something better... :D

So most you guys are like castrol 5w-30, a few who go for the OEM 15w-40?

I think I'll give the castrol a go at the 20k km service...?

dont worry, i was on oem for almost 2yrs with my zre. something different cant hurt, as long as you get the right grade engine oil!

Holy moley! I was wondering if I should change from OEM oil to something better... :D

dont worry, i was on oem for almost 2yrs with my zre. something different cant hurt, as long as you get the right grade engine oil!

Hmmm I have one more service till warranty runs out so I'll have to decide on what I will use too..

Hmmm I have one more service till warranty runs out so I'll have to decide on what I will use too..

Yeah I think I'll wait until my warranty runs out too.

• 8 years later...

Penrite racing 10w40 for hot summer days, and 5w30 for cooler winter days.

Zre172 Engine runs smooth on that oil, the valvoline 10w30 from the dealer is crap, engine was rattly and noisy.