Aurion Economy

hallett505

I live around 20km south of Adelaide city and over the weekend have driven into the city and back twice as well as some local driving, most trips being around 20 to 30km in length. Over 120kms including around 20 stops at traffic lights I am stunned to see the ave economy at 9.3lit/100!! I do admit I was driving like Miss Daisy but it is still impressive.

post-19235-128429396659_thumb.jpg

Edited by hallett505

I live around 20km south of Adelaide city and over the weekend have driven into the city and back twice as well as some local driving, most trips being around 20 to 30km in length. Over 120kms including around 20 stops at traffic lights I am stunned to see the ave economy at 9.3lit/100!! I do admit I was driving like Miss Daisy but it is still impressive.

It is. Look at carsales and search for your average four cylinder car and they all have three and a half green stars. The Aurion is a V6 and has 4 green stars B)

Definitely achievable, however if you're really pedantic, you can calculate the "real" fuel economy from your fuel dockets.

Divide how many litres you filled up by how many kilometres you've travelled and multiply by 100 is your "real" consumption/100km.

I've noticed my calculated consumption is always higher than the Tank AVG figure given by the Aurion computer (as its an estimate).

9.9 reading on Aurion --> 10.8 real life figure

9.4 reading on Aurion --> 10.1 real life figure

Fuel consumption better by 0.3-0.5/100km using 95RON fuel, with 70:30 Highway:Urban driving.

Edited by Morequick

9.75L/100km for a TRD. And those that know me would know that I drive with a bit with a bit of spirit.

Take that N/A Aurion owners.

Well my pile of receipts which I haven't entered into my spreadsheet was starting to get bigger in size, and seeing that there was another thread regarding fuel consumption, I figured I may as well do this again.

Oh noes though. My fuel consumption has increased by 0.2l/100km over the last 12,000km or there abouts. Either way though, it sure beats what my last Aurion was doing around the same point in it's life (was getting about 11.66L/100km after driving the last Aurion approximately 29,000km).

- At 5313km, my total fuel used was 500.99L and my average fuel consumption was 9.43L/100km

- At 9532km, my total fuel used was 909.91L and my average fuel consumption was 9.55L/100km

- At 17650km, my total fuel used was 1685.71L and my average fuel consumption was 9.55L/100km

- At 29083km, my total fuel used was 2837.00L and my average fuel consumption was 9.75L/100km

I agree with Morequick as I noticed for my last tank I had covered 450km and the ave was around 10.2lit/100 so I expected the tank would take around 46 litres but it took 51. Will try that on my next tank, you really need to fill up at the same bowser to ensure it is as accurate as possible.

98RON cheater >.>

Technically not cheating:

dsc06088j.jpg

Besides, my N/A Aurion was mostly filled with 98RON and it still had worse fuel consumption than the TRD. The power of the 2GR-FZE seems more suited to the weight/size of the car than the 2GR-FE. I think because of that, it can carry its weight with more ease and be more fuel economical.

... you really need to fill up at the same bowser to ensure it is as accurate as possible.

What I also do as well to ensure my rough numbers are as close as possible to each other is whenever I fill up, once I get the first 'click', I remove the nozzle, wait about 10 seconds, put it back in again and pump till it clicks one more time. After that, I just round to the nearest $0.05.

yeah my pressara quite often gets around the 9.5 -9.9 ltrs around adelaide and im doing nearly twice as many kms a week as you

Why does your Aurion need 98? I thought we share the same engines?

Um.... are you forgetting the red shiny thing that sits on top of the engine?

Lol fair enough. I didn't think that would have made a difference and it only matters what petrol the engine wants and not the s/c.

the thing that seems strange about what Daryl said about thr TRD having better economy than the normal Aurions is that Toyota claims the the TRD will drink 10.9ltr/100km compared to 9.9ltr/100km for a normal Aurion.

the thing that seems strange about what Daryl said about thr TRD having better economy than the normal Aurions is that Toyota claims the the TRD will drink 10.9ltr/100km compared to 9.9ltr/100km for a normal Aurion.

Doesn't seem strange to me. Since since when are manufacturer's claims correct :lol:

You never really know exactly what they did to test the fuel consumption.

• 3 months later...

New country figure, just over a short distance, Stirling in Adelaide Hills to Murray Bridge (is a gradual decline downhill stretch with ups and downs) but at 100kph achieved an amazing 6lit/100

post-19235-0-74945700-1293491748_thumb.j

Edited by hallett505

New country figure, just over a short distance, Stirling in Adelaide Hills to Murray Bridge (is a gradual decline downhill stretch with ups and downs) but at 100kph achieved an amazing 6lit/100

It's pretty easy to get figures like that when you have only travelled a short distance after filling up. The gauge isn't particularly accurate at that point.

Does the 2GR-FZE run higher compression or anything? But yes Toyota/TRD are pretty vocal when it comes to the fuel used in TRD's it they strictly say say98 not even 95! 98 or nothing! It’s not uncommon for S/C engines to be more efficient than a N/A one. The TRD lux also uses less fuel than the standard 175kw 1GR-FE in SR5.

Does the 2GR-FZE run higher compression or anything?

Not on it's own as far as I'm aware. The compression ratio of the engine remains the same before the S/C is added.

I personally think the power-to-weight of the TRD is more what the normal Aurion's should have been in the first place (a 2GR-FSE would have been a better engine), as it is just the right power to manage the weight that it has without extra load.

i guess back in 06 the Aurions power/weight blew the commodore and falcon into the weeds so it didn’t need any more power to be competitive in it's class it was clearly the quickest and most refined - still is... but the Aurion is sort of one of those cars that when you drive you go "geez goes alright doesn’t it" and after a while leaves you wanting more because it's quick not fast! It really needs more torque. 336nm (343nm on 98) aren’t really stellar figures from a modern high-tech 3.5 DOHC Duel VVT-i V6 that produces over 200kw especially when peak torque comes in pretty late in the piece. It's just lucky that the U660E is a pretty handy thing and can keep the engine on the boil pretty well. But more torque would be a good thing i think! mmmm headers haha

i guess back in 06 the Aurions power/weight blew the commodore and falcon into the weeds so it didn’t need any more power to be competitive in it's class it was clearly the quickest and most refined - still is... but the Aurion is sort of one of those cars that when you drive you go "geez goes alright doesn’t it" and after a while leaves you wanting more because it's quick not fast! It really needs more torque. 336nm (343nm on 98) aren’t really stellar figures from a modern high-tech 3.5 DOHC Duel VVT-i V6 that produces over 200kw especially when peak torque comes in pretty late in the piece. It's just lucky that the U660E is a pretty handy thing and can keep the engine on the boil pretty well. But more torque would be a good thing i think! mmmm headers haha

i hope toyota have a look at those issues when they start building the new aurion some time soon.

in reagrds to the topic, i just had a 450km trip along the coastline last week, mostly driving at 100-105 km/h with stop start traffic, hill climbing, hard accelerating when overtaking, 3 people on board and was achieving 7.8 lt/100 km (running on 98 octane fuel,tyre pressure 36 psi all round).

i hope toyota have a look at those issues when they start building the new aurion some time soon.

I wouldn't really call the torque/power curve an 'issue' when you realistically think about it. Put it this way. For when the engine was used, the comparative Holden/Ford 6-cylinder engines were putting out close to the same amount of power/torque as the 2GR-FE, however their peak torque was achieved from quite low revs. Notice that the fuel consumption for these cars were also higher. I reckon by keeping the peak torque a little higher like they have means that for your day to day cruising where you aren't going to be using all that torque, you end up being more fuel efficient. I'm no expert on the subject of physics and how it all ties together, but I see it that way.

My car also hit 6.0 L/100km last year with the father-in-law driving, while I rode shotgun. That was after about 100km, traveling north of Sydney on the F3 (up and down, but downhill overall).

Driving from Melbourne to Sydney for Christmas I achieved 7.3 L/100km. Driving south from the Coffs coast it was at 7.0 L/100km by the time I stopped. Both of these were followed by some spirited city driving, so I couldn't check the actual economy from the petrol bowser (but it is always within 0 - 0.3 L/100km for me).

Again I 'cheat' with 98RON ...