Max Speed

Does anyone know what the max speed out of each gear is

According to the book,

1st - 63

2nd - 98

3rd - Cant remember

Ive had 70 or there abouts out of first, that was hitting rev limiter

I'm not looking at the tacho when i cain my car. My eyes are glued to the road just incase anything happens. :D

i usually land in lift from 1st to 2nd and hold that for a while. i back off and shift into 3rd to ease the engine and by then i'm doing 120Km/h.

Does anyone know what the max speed out of each gear is

According to the book,

1st - 63

2nd - 98

3rd - Cant remember

Ive had 70 or there abouts out of first, that was hitting rev limiter

I think the manual is pretty much spot on with those figures cos i don't think we can hit 100km/h in 2nd due to the 6 speed close ratio.

Zee

• 5 weeks later...

I tried very hard this weekend but couldnt do it. I wanted to reach top speed, however i wasnt game enuff, the road was there weather was cool, perfect conditions. I had 2 passangers making up about 180kilos. I reached 210km/h in 5th at about 7400rpm. It felt good at that speed, i reackon i could easily get 220 out of 5th alone. And our car was meant to top out at 215. <_< , it really cained in 4th, and the needle just kept going, you can feel lift in 5th as well, not as much as 4th, but 5th feels good, dont even wana think about lift in 6th.

my rev limited kicked in at 100km in second gear so it is possible to hit 100 in 2nd

i have also hit 185 in 4th

my top speed to date is 220 - in 5th wasnt game enough to punch it into sixth - i thought at this time i have had enough fun and ill ease off

it will reach 240 but after about 190 it takes a while and lift in really non existant in 5th and 6th they act more as an overdrive gear and dont have that much pull

Therefore

1st - 65

2nd - approx 100

3rd - approx 140

4th - approx 180

5th - top speed 220

6th - the unknown gear

Going at speeds in excess of 220km/h i seriously doubt you'd even feel the lift pulling.. you can hear it, but you wont feel it..

5th gear lift feels like its pulling very hard. You definately know your hammering, It sounds like a grand touring bike in top gears. Don't think the sportivo dies off, it doesn't

I did lift in 6th ages ago, I posted about it but I think it was on the old forums. Got to 230 or something stupid, it had more to go, I was racing an XR6 turbo ute, we both gunned it at 80KMH (Fast lane on M5 opened up when a fool doing 80 in that lane finally moved over), I dropped from 6th to 2nd and yeah, floored it all the way, perfect shifts right before cut out, the Falc gained about 2 car lengths on me by the time we both backed off at 230, I think he was as surprised as I was. Thats the thing with the Stivo, it has some real balls but you need to get to lift to get that power, most of the races we lose are lost in the first 6000 rpm :(. Get a rolling start and you will clean up a lot more cars than you would think.

I did lift in 6th ages ago, I posted about it but I think it was on the old forums. Got to 230 or something stupid, it had more to go, I was racing an XR6 turbo ute, we both gunned it at 80KMH (Fast lane on M5 opened up when a fool doing 80 in that lane finally moved over), I dropped from 6th to 2nd and yeah, floored it all the way, perfect shifts right before cut out, the Falc gained about 2 car lengths on me by the time we both backed off at 230, I think he was as surprised as I was. Thats the thing with the Stivo, it has some real balls but you need to get to lift to get that power, most of the races we lose are lost in the first 6000 rpm :(. Get a rolling start and you will clean up a lot more cars than you would think.

:lol: Nice one!

Yup, the sportivo is all about extracting the power!

Your dam right about rolling starts, i've race WRX's from the lights and find it a little hard staying on there tail. But I have race them on FWY's and rolling in 2nd, and I'm telling you i beat them once i click third gear. New and old rex's, I love it :lol:

When i went for my run, i had it in 4th, I hit lift and the car just tore holes into the horizon, my mate in the front seat couldnt believe this was just a 1.8 4 banga and it rocketed from that speed, i mean this car gets to 180 very quick, and it's just an awesome feeling when youre doing 140 then hit lift and you take off at that speed, simply awesome :D :D.

On the weekend i thought that i would max out the first 2 gears on the car.

1st - 68 - 70 then the rev limiter kicked in

2nd - 105 - 108 then the rev limiter kicked in

3rd not game because with my luck ill get busted

I think because we only have 1 shift to 100km thats why we have such a good 0-100 km time

I was reading the paper yesterday and was looking at the new MX5 turbo, its figures for the dash were 7.8, which is really not that fast, a comment made in the article was that it wasnt so much the blistering speed, more the torque that made the car fun to drive because they tested it on a road in falls creek (no idea where it is) but there was so many twists and turns and they said that because of the torque increase from the turbo thats what made it fun.

I would like to see how it goes, so i may test drive one.

STATS:

121 Kw

200+ Nm

I wish we had that much torque

Hi NIKICH, agree totally the new MX5 SE should be a great drive! This MX5 would be a better MX5 than the SP version with 150+ kw and 280nm of torque. All comes down to driveability . The SP has too much wheelspin, so this detuned turbo MX5 should be very well balanced :lol:

And regarding your max speed run, at what revs did you cutout? 8200rpm?

I dropped from 6th to 2nd and yeah, floored it all the way

I take it you've got the cash ready and waiting for your new clutch then :lol:

The 2ZZ motors sound like awesome fun up top, i'd love to put one in an AE82 and see how they'd fare against a 20v.