Are Stroker kits legal?

.gorgz

As far as legality would go, there would not be anything externally visible to indicate that this kite was fitted, would there? Even from an insurance perspective, how would they find out it was fitted other than an engine strip down?

I can't find anything on Vic Roads or EPA Vic regarding internal modifications to engines. As they are detail pretty much everything else you can't do, I would say that the stroker kit would likely be perfectly legal. The problem is getting the most out of it...

The stroker kit will increase displacement by ~10%, which means 10% more air, which also means 10% more fuel. I'm not very familiar with the 2zz-ge, but if the stock injectors can't provide an extra 10% fuel, or the ECU refuses to allow the 10% extra fuel, then you won't get the full benefit without replacing one or both.

This is where it gets painful...:(

http://epanote2.epa.vic.gov.au/EPA/publications.nsf/2f1c2625731746aa4a256ce90001cbb5/c90ec843f3bbbe8fca256d9f00181c59/%24FILE/1031.pdf

Includes the sections:

"Extra or larger fuel injectors are not permitted."

And:

"Non-original electronic chips or computers, whether

fitted as a direct replacement or in a ‘piggy-back’

configuration, are not permitted to be used in an

engine management system unless it can be

demonstrated that their installation and use allows

the vehicle to meet the appropriate ADR. They must

also be sealed or otherwise constructed so as not to

be reprogrammable."

Odds are that it will work with the stock injectors and ECU, and you will see an increase in low down torque, you probably won't see much if any power increase, and you may have to run higher octane fuel to avoid the engine running lean and pinging when the injectors run out of capacity.

Talk to me 313 mickwheelz brissie crew this is very close to home

I'd still need PFC and SD harness and tuning to make this work right (2k)

whitestivo

i heard my name, dunno what im supposed to be answering tho

yes they are legal why wouldnt they be

and phil you would be looking at PFC + harness + tune + stroker kit + labour = maybe 6k

whitestivo

and phil you would be looking at PFC + harness + tune + stroker kit + labour = maybe 6k

Because Victoria is a very mod unfriendly place. The stroker kit may be legal down here, but the PFC isn't unless it's tuned to meet emissions and the map locked by the tuner so that the owner can't alter it.

whitestivo

Because Victoria is a very mod unfriendly place. The stroker kit may be legal down here, but the PFC isn't unless it's tuned to meet emissions and the map locked by the tuner so that the owner can't alter it.

holy moley i better remind myself to never move down there

also guys be mindful that it doesnt state what type of pistons are coming with the kit.

if the pistons are like the wiseco's then u'll need to get the block sleeved which is a chunk of labour & parts costs that ur current figures havent factored in yet.

if the pistons are like the mahle's then u'll need to get the clearances checked and see if u r within the tolerance otherwise these pistons are going to be useless for ur setup.

also there is no mention of what compression ratio the pistons are running ...... if it too low comp then unless ur force feeding it later on down the track this would be a waste of time and money ..... the power u r going to going to gain of going 2L u will loose by decompressing ......

I have far more question that i would ask if i was buy this but in reality i probably wouldnt and would opt for a MWR setup.

Also technically speaking programmable ECU's are not legal in NSW either ..... the fact that it allows the owner to alter the map is mainly why its frowned upon ..... it might even be the same in QLD but u northeners would need to confirm ..... this being said everyone still does it and u would have to be hard pressed to get done for it ...... just hide that hand controller ;) ;) ;)

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the info guys, might re-open this thread with a few more questions though..

My first question is, has anyone in TOCAU stroked a 2ZZ before? and if so how long ago was it and how many issues would I be expecting short term and long term, I heard that an increased in stroke makes the piston travel further and the amount of time allowed for this movement is not increased, which means the piston speed increases with a stroked crank, can sometimes cause pistons to wear more quickly and that, a large increases in stroke can decrease an engine's ability to perform optimally at high rpm?

And, my next question is whether or not a supercharge would be better than a stroker kit, but for some reason I've been getting mixed messages regarding boosting a 2ZZ where a supercharger with a piggy backed ECU won't be enough and will cause me grief in the long run, and then I've been told by other sources that I can run around 12psi into it without changing anything?

So my main question is supercharger vs. stroker kit

Also technically speaking programmable ECU's are not legal in NSW either ..... the fact that it allows the owner to alter the map is mainly why its frowned upon ..... it might even be the same in QLD but u northeners would need to confirm ..... this being said everyone still does it and u would have to be hard pressed to get done for it ...... just hide that hand controller ;) ;) ;)

Yeah, especially for something like a PowerFC which is a complete factory replacement-style ECU. Put a false-floor in your centre-console and hide the hand controller there and everything looks completely stock.

whitestivo

ROWAN MATE! :) victoria is a colt free zone LOL!