Unichip feedback

http://www.unichip.us/vehicle/vehicles/3484-2009-Toyota-Corolla-18L

I am very tempting to buy. 525USD for 15bhp

Does it worth it, I worry about the reliability of the car after this, can the engine sustain?

How about fuel efficiency, will it waste fuel consumption?

Checking the old blogs, I am a bit worried because

if you ask around you will find that the guys that have Unichips are impressed when they first get them and over the time the gains that the Unichip gives you wear off as the stock ECU learns around it.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5149

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1505

* Adds up to 15hp &13ft-lb and also optimizes settings to take full advantage of all bolt-on accessories.

* Easily plugs into the stock ECU & ECU harness in minutes , no programming necessary .

* Realizes the full potential of Aftermarket add-on's like Cold-Air-Intakes & exhaust systems , as each kit comes pre-mapped for the exact set-up of each car or truck.

* No end-user tuning necessary , just plug the kit into the car & you're ready to go.

* Easily upgradeable for future add-on's.

* Each kit comes with two maps : a low octane performance map & a high octane performance map, switchable from within the vehicle.

* Fully tuneable by a Unichip Custom Tuner for customized add-on's . This basically means that the Engine Management System in your ride is now as tuner friendly as the most advanced Standalone systems in the world , without sacrificing any of the factory features. This feature is unmatched by any reflash-tuning or other similar product.

* Plug 'n Play harnesses are fully Flux capable - purchase Flux when you purchase the Plug 'n Play kit or upgrade later - Flux simply plugs into the Unichip Plug 'n Play harness.

* Plug 'n Play kits are removed from the vehicle in minutes , returning the vehicle to stock tuning , without leaving a footprint of ever having been modified (a feature which reflash-tuning cannot match).

* ROADSPEED-LIMIT Removal now available . Write : "Remove roadspeed limiter" in the comments section of the checkout . This feature is only available on this website.

Edited by ben yip

Your better of buying yourself 500 large worth of beers or buying some extractors!

But $5xx USD for around 12kw gain, that's amazing..I am not bull**** here, for a Toyota Hilux, the figures are as follows

http://digiads.com.au/car-news/latest-TOYOTA-news/2010_Toyota_Hilux_Unichip__201005.html

for CAI, it costs around $400-600 to gain 5KW, for cat back, costs around 1K to gain 0-2KW

for flywheel, it costs $300-500 to gain 1-5KW (not sure)

And second, there are no extractors for zre-15x..

and if you read this forums, people did put unichip on sportivos and find differences (17KW at the wheels a gain)...Have a look at the following with dyno figures

I am not trying to argue, but I just want to know more the good and bads of this product

Edited by ben yip

But $5xx USD for around 12kw gain, that's amazing..I am not bull**** here, for a Toyota Hilux, the figures are as follows

http://digiads.com.au/car-news/latest-TOYOTA-news/2010_Toyota_Hilux_Unichip__201005.html

for CAI, it costs around $400-600 to gain 5KW, for cat back, costs around 1K to gain 0-2KW

for flywheel, it costs $300-500 to gain 1-5KW (not sure)

And second, there are no extractors for zre-15x..

and if you read this forums, people did put unichip on sportivos and find differences (17KW at the wheels a gain)...Have a look at the following with dyno figures

I am not trying to argue, but I just want to know more the good and bads of this product

Mate, I'm not sure you are getting the purpose of this 'chip'. When they say "up to 12hp gain", I emphasise the "up to" part of it. These 'chips' are made to make use of additional modifications such as intake, exhaust, etc. So in a situation where you may have your intake done, extractors, and exhaust, adding this chip will then give you up to that 12hp gain if it does live up to it's claims. With none of the supporting modifications, it may only give you a couple of hp increase... making is hp gain per dollar on par with a CAI.

So when you think of it that way, it is really that much value?

And don't try to use the Hilux in that review as a comparison. That is a turbo diesel which can get gains without additional extras.

Seriously, you seem really really keen on getting more out of your Corolla, so if you think the chip is good value, stop trying to convince yourself otherwise and go and buy it. Then you can get a dyno and see what you have gained.

Mate, I'm not sure you are getting the purpose of this 'chip'. When they say "up to 12hp gain", I emphasise the "up to" part of it. These 'chips' are made to make use of additional modifications such as intake, exhaust, etc. So in a situation where you may have your intake done, extractors, and exhaust, adding this chip will then give you up to that 12hp gain if it does live up to it's claims. With none of the supporting modifications, it may only give you a couple of hp increase... making is hp gain per dollar on par with a CAI.

So when you think of it that way, it is really that much value?

And don't try to use the Hilux in that review as a comparison. That is a turbo diesel which can get gains without additional extras.

Seriously, you seem really really keen on getting more out of your Corolla, so if you think the chip is good value, stop trying to convince yourself otherwise and go and buy it. Then you can get a dyno and see what you have gained.

Thanks for your honest reply..I have emailed them to ask the actual gain for stock cars, and with different settings..Many of these "up 12hp" is just a marketing thing to cover up the truth..I am now lacking data to support my argument..and furthermore, this "12hp", is it on top of the CAI gain, or combining together, if combining together, it actually gain only few hps as you mentioned, which is a waste of money

Can you explain on the sportivo gain, as far as I understand, that guy gains 17kw on top of the CAI and flywheel gains.. I understand that the Hilux is not accurate because of Turbo

I have to stop "my keen to get this chip", have to force myself to do more reasonable research

and if this is really bang for bucks, people would install it, but so far, i doubt anybody install it !!!

The other downside of Unichip is you need a Unichip tuner to tune it. An E-manage blue/ultimate etc are also piggy backs but can be tuned by any tuner who knows how to do it. I'm not sure if the E-manage can handle the double variable timing though.

The other downside of Unichip is you need a Unichip tuner to tune it. An E-manage blue/ultimate etc are also piggy backs but can be tuned by any tuner who knows how to do it. I'm not sure if the E-manage can handle the double variable timing though.

Come on SD, you of all people should know the 'Emanage' won't handle the higher cam, thats what V-Manage is for LOL :P

Evo

on a NA 1zz the biggest gain I've seen from a piggyback is about 6kw on a dyno dynamics. That would be comparible to a ZR engine.

The gains are attained through ignition timing, messing with the AFR's is only really any good for ~1kw.

A unichip is a waste of cash an a N/A engine IMO. Also wouldn't suprise me if the US ZRE wiring pinout differs to the ADM version.

on a NA 1zz the biggest gain I've seen from a piggyback is about 6kw on a dyno dynamics. That would be comparible to a ZR engine.

The gains are attained through ignition timing, messing with the AFR's is only really any good for ~1kw.

A unichip is a waste of cash an a N/A engine IMO. Also wouldn't suprise me if the US ZRE wiring pinout differs to the ADM version.

Sorry, I need clarifications "NA" means stock?

My car has Injen CAI and cat back, will it still worth the money..

I am still waiting email reply from Unichip for the number of hp gain in Injen CAI and cat back

Also, whether the wiring point is the same.. and ask them to send me the installation menu

I have troubles to find out how many hp people actually gain for different types of setup and vehicles, even for non Corolla cars

Edited by ben yip

Sorry, I need clarifications "NA" means stock?

My car has Injen CAI and cat back, will it still worth the money..

I am still waiting email reply from Unichip for the number of hp gain in Injen CAI and cat back

Also, whether the wiring point is the same.. and ask them to send me the installation menu

I have troubles to find out how many hp people actually gain for different types of setup and vehicles, even for non Corolla cars

NA means "Naturally Aspirated" in other words no forced induction for example no turbo or supercharger.

I mate of mine installed a piggy back on his swift and it did nothing. I think these sort of systems are kinda like those battery power superchargers, gimmicky and very hit and miss. Unless you have money to burn, I would stick with tried and true methods, for $500 CES can send you good extractors with decent gains for the price.

That is for the wrong car... and besides, a unichip is fucking pointless IMO.

I have fixed the link.

Unichip is unless ONLY on stock engine,

but with CAI+catback+header, that will make so much difference. I have cai+catback already

I am going to do a weapon R header first, then this unichip..

Now, that weapone R header is my coming mod

Please buy one, make sure you do a before and after dyno and show everyone your results. I'll be impressed if it makes 10hp extra.

This.

Good on ya for going ahead and planning to get one, but just don't make posts about saying how good it is until you have the dyno charts to show it.

Please buy one, make sure you do a before and after dyno and show everyone your results. I'll be impressed if it makes 10hp extra.

This.

Good on ya for going ahead and planning to get one, but just don't make posts about saying how good it is until you have the dyno charts to show it.

Someone here in the forum have done an dyno chart on the sportivos back to 2004, that's why it gives me confidence

Someone even comments "Was your baseline minus the CAI? or pre recal? as the 17kW jump is a large jump even for a unichip on this car. As I have only seen gains of ~8 kW on other Sportivos"

Edited by ben yip

Someone here in the forum have done an dyno chart on the sportivos back to 2004, that's why it gives me confidence

Someone even comments "Was your baseline minus the CAI? or pre recal? as the 17kW jump is a large jump even for a unichip on this car. As I have only seen gains of ~8 kW on other Sportivos"

The 2ZZ's are a completely different engine. For them to get good gains is not something that I would find hard to imagine. The 2ZR on the other hand, I have doubts of good gains. But like I said, you will need dyno proof.