cheapest BOX to put next to the TV for YOUTUBE

JJCRU23R

GDAY ALL,

Theres a lot of technology out there as far as putting the internet onto your tv.

Lots of options from PS3, telstra T box, there are some hd tuners/blueray players that can do it too..

just wondering which is the cheapest route to get youtube or the net onto my tv without having to pay for subscription?

Jase

I have a TBox. They aren't terribly bad, though I've heard stories (from employees at Telstra shops, no less) about a few people having theirs replaced 2 or even 3 times. I'm on my first one still, and its been pretty good. Few bugs here and there in the past but they seem to have been mostly worked out in recent software updates. All in all not a bad box, and by far the cheapest HD dual tuner PVR around (at least when I was shopping), plus if you're a Bigpond customer you also get the movie-on-demand rentals and BigpondTV streaming channels.

If the only feature that appeals to you with the TBox is the Youtube, though, a cheaper option would be to get an XBox1, mod it, and install XBMC. Its especially cheaper if you already have the console. The good thing about an XBMC Xbox is that you can also share all your movies and music to it from your PC or network storage drive too, amongst other things. The downside is that standard you'll only get 576i from it which looks poo on a HD TV, but with a 'High Definition AV Pack' you can get up to 1080i (though the console will struggle with anything higher than 720p). The whole thing can be done for roughly $100 or a bit more if you want a bigger hard drive.

The cheapest option would be if you have an old(ish) computer or enough bits to put one together, you can just get a cable that will let you hook it up to your TV, and just use that. Cost of that is $0. Or a reasonable computer can often be bought second hand for under $100 that would do the job. Check your local paper, trading post, or somebody here might even be flogging one cheap.

Google TV is probably the best product that fits your criteria.... Only problem is that it isnt out yet. Wait it out for Google TV man.

http://www.google.com/tv/

Otherwise, you can look into the Apple TV which is current available and very cheap.. But you won't be getting anywhere near the amount of functionality as the Google TV. If buying products made for sheep is your thing, then get the Apple TV.

hey guys ive just been to my local Harvey norman this morning and they had at least 2 blu-ray dvd players that hook up to the LAN, the sony has wifi, the LG has the lan. both offer at youtube through the remote. from memory the sony was $189? and the LG was $179. Both were discounted from like 229? Theres a couple other features but not a lot can be explained from reading the boxes so yea.

outside of using a ps3/wii, those are two pretty damn affordable options right there! if I wanted to go higher spec, the HD TUNER/BLU-RAY/HDD RECORDERS ARE UP AROUND A $999... these also offer new release movies online as well as youtube, weather service through LAN..