Presara HID Low Beam Light Quality

yachtie

Hi All,

My 1st post here, great forum btw.

We are looking to change over our current car for something a bit newer and nice. Naturally thought Toyota!

The number one issue for us is to ensure that the new car has very good low beam lights as we find the current car (6.yo falcon) is less than great.

Having researched a little, we had, or so we thought, settled on ensure the next car has Bi Xenon low beam lights.

Reading through the various pages here, it seems that there may be some concern amongst Presara owners that the as fitted HID lamps are a bit on the dull side.

I would love to here some comments from Presara and other Aurion owners on how they find the low beam lights for general city driving.

Not particularly interested in going down the after market route - although I could be swayed, and for the most part, most of the other features of the Presara have little interest for me. Moonroof - couldn't care less. Ditto for the leather seats illuminated vanity mirrors et al.

So I guess the question in essence is: Are the Bi Xenon low beam lights on the Presara substantially and noticeably better that the lights on the sportivo, prodigy,ATx etc.

Hope you can help

Thanks in advance

Ian

Do live and drive in the city or country?

If you live and drive mainly in the city with street lights, shop lights etc then the light may seem some what unimpressive.

On the other hand if you are driving in darker areas you will find them sufficent.

The RTA specifications in NSW say low beam only has to illuminate 25 meters in front of the car.

the presara lights are not bi-xenon. only the low beam is xenon. i don't think any toyota uses bixenon at the moment. if you want bixenon check out honda accords, s2000 and nissan muranos they are pretty good. the european made bixenons in bmws and mercs are not as good as the japs but still good.

I just purchased a Presara a few months ago and compared to my previous WK Statesman I find the low beam lights brilliant, especially on dark roads, add to that their ability to turn and shine where you are turning when cornering I find that they are the best factory standard lights I have ever had! Prior to the Statesman I had a VT commodore. When I jump in my sons VP Commodore now I keep checking to see if the lights are actually on as they are so dull compared to the Presara.

I just purchased a Presara a few months ago and compared to my previous WK Statesman I find the low beam lights brilliant, especially on dark roads, add to that their ability to turn and shine where you are turning when cornering I find that they are the best factory standard lights I have ever had! Prior to the Statesman I had a VT commodore. When I jump in my sons VP Commodore now I keep checking to see if the lights are actually on as they are so dull compared to the Presara.

Thanks All, and a special thanks to Hallett505.

This is exactly the sort of info I was after.

Now it is serious hunting time.....go and rattle a few dealers and see what is on offer.

Thanks again,

Ian

Hey Ian,

One very important thing :- The Presara's HID's are ONLY FOR LOW BEAM. High beam are still Halogen (though they are very bright - on par or better with Holden Sportwagon Series II.

Color wise it's white with a very slight hint of blue, I'm guessing temp range is around the 5000K range. With the auto levelling, the low beam illuminates approximately 50m ahead brilliantly with no "shadowing" effect.

Now it is serious hunting time.....go and rattle a few dealers and see what is on offer.

Thanks again,

Ian

Hey Ian,

One very important thing :- The Presara's HID's are ONLY FOR LOW BEAM. High beam are still Halogen (though they are very bright - on par or better with Holden Sportwagon Series II.

Color wise it's white with a very slight hint of blue, I'm guessing temp range is around the 5000K range. With the auto levelling, the low beam illuminates approximately 50m ahead brilliantly with no "shadowing" effect.

Thanks again,

Ian

Thanks beeb beeb,

My bad in the first instance as I mis-described the lights as BiXenon. As you correctly note, they are low beam only. It is in fact the low beam I am most interested in as I find myself from time to time ferrying kids to and from sporting ovals and have noticed recently that things are not as bright as they used to be.

What can I say, - early onset of failing eyesight??

Cheers,

Ian

My sister drives a fairly new Subaru Impreza RS sedan that has Halogen headlights that I have been really impressed with.

The car looks nice , but being a 2 litre , performance is Mehhhhhhhhh .... kind of a waste for it to be AWD.

• 1 month later...

Update:

We finally purchased our new vehicle from a dealer yesterday. (08 Presara 60k $25k inc gst & 12 mths reg)

Totally impressed with the general build quality of the car, leaves the other locally made cars for dead.

Having always previously owned rear wheel drive vehicles, it is a little different on the road, not bad, just different.

Took it for a spin last night and the low beam lights are simply sensational!!!

At the moment, couldn't be more pleased. First class car indeed!

Cheers and Happy Christmas all,

Ian