Attention: Gen 4 (4.5) Camry owners + strut braces

Andrew357

Alright, all the following information that I provide as always has come from the Camry King SupaTouring Dave (aka The Viking). The testing + troubleshooting + speculation came from him, the irritation + annoyance to drive me to buy an ACV36R strut brace came from you guys and the brace came from me.

I've noticed alot of you Gen4 boys (especially the v6 owners) are having issues as to finding a suitable strut tower brace for your Gen4 and 4.5 Camrys. So far, I've seen 3 braces that have been linked but obviously have their downfalls:

1) Ebay strut brace - Pro: V6 and 4 cylinder compatible, provides some stiffness Con: unknown quality + longevity, most likely CCS (Cheap Chinese... Stuff)

2) TRD strut brace (PTR06-06991-01) - Pro: V6 and 4 cylinder compatible, clears TRD supercharger setup, very stiff, TRD quality Con: No longer in production, hard to find, cannot be found unused, expensive (initial 2nd hand cost + shipping)

3) Whiteline strut brace - Pro: very stiff, Whiteline quality Con: 4 cylinder only

The Gen5 is essentially a rebodied Gen4 Camry and it is well known that the TRD strut tower brace will fit the Gen5 as easy as it will the Gen4 (with no clearance or bonnet issues). For reference, the standard Gen5 strut brace will fit on the Gen4 chassis but suffers from bonnet clearance issues as it sits too high.

Here is where UltraRacing comes into play. They make a great strut tower brace for the Gen5, which sits lower than the TRD + standard Gen5 strut braces. As seen below, the predictions that the UltraRacing ACV36R strut brace fitting the Gen4 V6 Camry were correct:

bay.jpg

left.jpg

right.jpgclearance.jpgclutch.jpg

There is one issue however with the Clutch fluid reservoir as it needs to be unseated in order for the brace to fit. Using something like cable ties would probably keep it in place, you can see in the last photo where the black clip should fit in the reservoir. This problem only exists for MANUAL owners ONLY.

For those looking for a less ghetto way to permanently fix this issue would be to source a brake fluid reservoir from a Gen5 Camry (MANUAL ONLY) as the brake fluid and clutch fluid reservoirs are in the same unit. I believe the fittings are the same so it should be a simple, low-hassle switch.

So in summary:

The UltraRacing strut tower brace for the ACV36R will fit the Gen4 (and 4.5) V6 Camrys with little or no fuss (especially if you drive an auto).

Edited by Gordon Ramsay
  • Like 2

thanks for the post!

just wondering though, where do i find the whiteline strut for 4cylinder?

im guessing this here?

http://www.whiteline.com.au/strut_chassis_bracing.php

i knwo this is a tad out there, but when i was driving the gen5 sportivo, they have a strut bar from memory? just a stock one i know, and it was in black, but with only 15' the car just seemed more capable when i did corners at high speed. i wondered why that was so, pop the hoot, and wala, found the strut bar.

thanks for the post!

just wondering though, where do i find the whiteline strut for 4cylinder?

im guessing this here?

http://www.whiteline.com.au/strut_chassis_bracing.php

i knwo this is a tad out there, but when i was driving the gen5 sportivo, they have a strut bar from memory? just a stock one i know, and it was in black, but with only 15' the car just seemed more capable when i did corners at high speed. i wondered why that was so, pop the hoot, and wala, found the strut bar.

Some of the Gen5 Camrys come with the strut brace. From memory, the Altise and Ateva do not and the Sportivo does. I can't recall if the Azura comes with one or not.

Hrmmm... I swear there was a 4-cyl Whiteline strut brace...

Andrew,

Thanks for this.

Can you comment on the handling improvement of the UR brace (if any).

Also, what does the UR brace cost?

You'll notice that the car will handle better when cornering and your turning will be more direct as it will reduce your understeer. The biggest issue will be is that if you haven't put in a rear sway bar, you will notice more bodyroll because your front is tighter but your rear is the same.

The UR brace RRP is $220 + postage.

So it is best to do a beefier rear sway-bar first (before a strut brace)?

Do you think it is OK to do a beefier rear sway bar without doing a beefier front? The standard sway bars on my Gen 4 are 17mm diameter (front and back). A Whiteline rear is 20mm (BTR39). This would mean my config would be 17mm (front) and 20mm (rear) if I were to do the rear sway bar only. Would this be OK?

Also, can anyone recommend a good supplier of Whiteline sway bars (i.e. some place that can supply at a discount)? I live in Sydney.

Do you think it is OK to do a beefier rear sway bar without doing a beefier front? The standard sway bars on my Gen 4 are 17mm diameter (front and back). A Whiteline rear is 20mm (BTR39). This would mean my config would be 17mm (front) and 20mm (rear) if I were to do the rear sway bar only. Would this be OK?

Also, can anyone recommend a good supplier of Whiteline sway bars (i.e. some place that can supply at a discount)? I live in Sydney.

A rear sway bar is well known as being one of (if not) the best value for money suspension/handling upgrade you can get. Alot of people get the RSB first and a strut brace later; there won't be an issue.

I don't know of anyone in Sydney, but PM SILVABULLIT. He's a whiteline (and UltraRacing) distributor here in Brisbane; otherwise just shop around at different suspension stores and let them know you are looking for the best price possible.

i bought that exact sway bar through pedders and paid about $330 incl install. i have no idea if this is a good or bad price, but it might give you a price to aim to beat or something seeing as pedders is probably one of the more expensive places to go.

also i had the RSB on my car without any front-end improvements for a while and it was fine to drive and was definitely an improvement over the 17mm

Edited by rad000

gosh i know what u guys mean (i think we all do) when we corner on a car with a heavy shell, all it does is understeer and the feeling of bodyroll is very very noticable.

just corning at 30km/h at a steady rate is enough to jiggle your bums

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know where to buy these in Australia..?

==========================================

And for future reference...............

Details for for the Ultra Racing bar are:

Product: Toyota Camry 02 ACV36R Front Strut Bar / Front Tower Bar

Code : UR-TW2-612

http://www.ultraracing.com.my/Bars.asp?ID=3169

Edited by MCV20

A rear sway bar is well known as being one of (if not) the best value for money suspension/handling upgrade you can get. Alot of people get the RSB first and a strut brace later; there won't be an issue.

I don't know of anyone in Sydney, but PM SILVABULLIT. He's a whiteline (and UltraRacing) distributor here in Brisbane; otherwise just shop around at different suspension stores and let them know you are looking for the best price possible.

Does anyone know where to buy these in Australia..?

And for future reference...............

Details for for the Ultra Racing bar are:

Product: Toyota Camry 02 ACV36R Front Strut Bar / Front Tower Bar

Code : UR-TW2-612

http://www.ultraracing.com.my/Bars.asp?ID=3169

gosh i know what u guys mean (i think we all do) when we corner on a car with a heavy shell, all it does is understeer and the feeling of bodyroll is very very noticable.

just corning at 30km/h at a steady rate is enough to jiggle your bums

Coilovers will sort this problem out haha, if you can put up with the bumpy ride, sharp turns are a piece of cake now. Though I will need the RSB for longer, sweeping turns.

PS: I thought the stock RSB were 16mm :blink:

PS: I thought the stock RSB were 16mm :blink:

They are 16mm - I have this one on mine (20mm) :

http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_detail.php?part_number=BTR39

Also bought some Locking Collars on eBay as well. Something similar to these:

http://www.mcmaster.com/library/20070314/6436K720L.GIF

... to attach to the RSB. Stock bar had like a strapped grommet to stop the bar going side-to-side.

Thanks mate - SILVABULLIT ;)

Edited by MCV20

That really is a top find fellas good work!

& for those who are curious about the benefits the UR product can bring to your car just ask any Aurion owner who has their products fitted to their car. THERE GOOD SH!T

That really is a top find fellas good work!

& for those who are curious about the benefits the UR product can bring to your car just ask any Aurion owner who has their products fitted to their car. THERE GOOD SH!T

All credit goes to SupaTouring (now known as Dave The Viking), I simply couldn't stand the moaning and whining so I bought a brace to test his theory. <_<

Ok... couldn't wait (sorry SILVA...)

Anyway, I contacted this bloke in Malay on eBay who has this for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com....em=200588733611

$115.20 OFFER and it is automatically accepted as BIN. Free shipping to Australia too!

Will let you know how I go.

...Just bought one dry.gif

RSB is about on its way too, damn this mod bug!

...Just bought one dry.gif

RSB is about on its way too, damn this mod bug!

I wondered who it was... :toast:

Here is an update on my package - shipping via UPS:

Ohhh, yeah the mod bug thing... it's actually for my Wifeys car! I just told her I bought it 5 minutes ago and she didn't care. Cheeeze Ima lucky guy :clap:

Edited by MCV20

You can't blame me for this one Adam...You better freakin come to the annual meet.

It sort of is your fault, but I blame Andrew for this one!

I'm seriously considering it, though I think I already have an offer for that weekend. The car has truely transformed since you saw it last...from memory it was completely stock?

It might even put your camry to shame now :P

FYI... I have the brace here now! 6 days from Malaysia - impressive :)

Scheduled Delivery:

Wednesday, 30/03/2011, By End of Day

Brisbane, Australia 28/03/2011 12:44 Delivered

Mascot, Australia 25/03/2011 0:25 Departure Scan

Mascot, Australia 24/03/2011 8:11 Import Scan

24/03/2011 3:38 Package data processed by brokerage Waiting for clearance / Released by clearing agency Now in-transit for delivery

24/03/2011 3:38 Registered with clearing agency / Shipment submitted to clearing agency

24/03/2011 3:38 Registered with clearing agency

24/03/2011 1:13 Package data processed by brokerage Waiting for clearance

Changi, Singapore 23/03/2011 18:46 Departure Scan

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 22/03/2011 21:00 Departure Scan

22/03/2011 18:23 Origin Scan

22/03/2011 16:48 Collection Scan

Malaysia 22/03/2011 4:44 Order Processed: Ready for UPS

I'm looking at buying both front and rear bars very soon....just wanting to confirm that the ones you got are genuine? I've heard there's a few cheap and nasty ones getting around on ebay, that's all. Thanks!