How do you change gears?

Silver-Aurion

So few days ago my dad drove my car and I was in the passenger seat and I noticed that when he reversed, before coming to a complete stop with the car still slight motion, he put it in D. I told him off to first come to a full complete stop before changing from R to D, I was about to lecture him about why you shouldn't change gears while car is in motion (about 1-2KM/h) but then I stopped and I thought, hmm I have no clue why! lol.

It's just something that I do, come to a complete stop before changing gears. Being in a lot of other peoples cars I have realised most don't come to a complete stop and change gears from R to D while the car is still slightly rolling.

I thought this is not good for the transmission.

So just wondering, is it a bad thing to do? And how do you change gears from R to D? Do you always come to a complete stop or do it while still in motion?

The torque converter being a fluid coupling can handle slight rotation in the opposite direction when you change from Reverse to Drive and vice-versa. That said, for the stall setting of the torque converter, it doesn't take too much for it to be at the point that it can be considered a little too much and can put a little extra stress on things. You usually notice this when it gives a bit of a jerk. If when you change from R->D while still rolling back a little and it feels like it is engaging smoothly, this is what I would consider to be within safe boundaries.

But that said, in all situations, my recommendation is that you should make sure you have come to a complete stop before changing from Reverse to Drive or vice-versa. But if you have a little bit of roll and it doesn't cause the car to jerk when engaging, then I wouldn't be getting worried about it.

To answer you other question, when reversing, I usually change from R->D the moment before the car comes to a complete stop. I release the brakes, and from the time taken for the transmission to disengage from Reverse and engage Drive, the car would have rolled back no more than 30cm or so. If you get what I mean. This isn't personally something I would recommend doing, but it's a force of habit thing.

i know this is slightly off the topic but since you guys are talking about gear shifts..wanted to ask you something..

when in sequential shift mode, when i am about to shift to the next gear while accelerating, i have this habit of quickly releasing the accelerator and then shifting to the gear up and then pressing on the acc pedal again as in how we do on a manual gearbox. I find it gives the closest feeling to a manual with a clutch and find the gear shifts much quicker without a delay because the engine is not reving to hard while shifting and the gearbox doesnt find it hard to shift..my question is..is this bad for the gearbox or alright? Let me know what you guys think :) Cheers

lol Well i always try and bring the car to a complete stop before changing through the gearbox but then i tend to baby my car a little bit too with these kind of things lol.

As for lifting off whilst in Sports mode, i think most people especially those with "Series one" transmission ECU's do this for those reasons you mentioned above. Series two ECU's are a little bit more clued on quicker and smoother but i still find myself doing the same sometimes too, don’t think it's bad for the transmission. Never seen a car has a problem because of it and if it was a no no Toyota being Toyota would be quick to slap a sticker somewhere telling you not to :)

Mate this is what i do all the time..misses thinks im mental, i even have it worked out to down shift with a rev in between.just like a manual but trust me when your up it, the gear box is quick.. Hold it FLAT smash the stick at 6thou Nothing qicker in our class.. .But as d to r it dont matter..Fluid coupling..

i know this is slightly off the topic but since you guys are talking about gear shifts..wanted to ask you something..

when in sequential shift mode, when i am about to shift to the next gear while accelerating, i have this habit of quickly releasing the accelerator and then shifting to the gear up and then pressing on the acc pedal again as in how we do on a manual gearbox. I find it gives the closest feeling to a manual with a clutch and find the gear shifts much quicker without a delay because the engine is not reving to hard while shifting and the gearbox doesnt find it hard to shift..my question is..is this bad for the gearbox or alright? Let me know what you guys think :) Cheers

Cheers guys..glad to know im not the only one doing it :)..yeah it seriously has a good effect and gives me that kick feeling of having pressed a clutch while shifting..to bad the car is very quiet so cant hear much of the action :)..

Mate this is what i do all the time..misses thinks im mental, i even have it worked out to down shift with a rev in between.just like a manual but trust me when your up it, the gear box is quick.. Hold it FLAT smash the stick at 6thou Nothing qicker in our class.. .But as d to r it dont matter..Fluid coupling..

haha mate i know that feeling..just floor it and wait for it and then just shift ;)..i had my sister at the back seat one day and she was like my head hurts stop doing that..there goes the stick back to D mode :P

yes this is the correct way to change gears with a "semi automatic" transmission, no different to the old buses that used this method,give it time to release from one gear to the next. it can even be done in full auto mode, try lifting your foot off the throttle where you think the gear changes are and it will change like a manual. fooled a few!

yes this is the correct way to change gears with a "semi automatic" transmission, no different to the old buses that used this method,give it time to release from one gear to the next. it can even be done in full auto mode, try lifting your foot off the throttle where you think the gear changes are and it will change like a manual. fooled a few!

..and I thought that was something that happened for my car only :P

So few days ago my dad drove my car and I was in the passenger seat and I noticed that when he reversed, before coming to a complete stop with the car still slight motion, he put it in D. I told him off to first come to a full complete stop before changing from R to D, I was about to lecture him about why you shouldn't change gears while car is in motion (about 1-2KM/h) but then I stopped and I thought, hmm I have no clue why! lol.

It's just something that I do, come to a complete stop before changing gears. Being in a lot of other peoples cars I have realised most don't come to a complete stop and change gears from R to D while the car is still slightly rolling.

I thought this is not good for the transmission.

So just wondering, is it a bad thing to do? And how do you change gears from R to D? Do you always come to a complete stop or do it while still in motion?

Irrespective of what model of car, it is a good practice to make a complete stop before changing from D to R. In fact, the Toyota manual specifically indicated "Never shift into reverse while the vehicle is moving."

• 2 weeks later...

Lifiting off slightly when you need the gear to shift has always worked in auto mode which i think most of us naturally do :)..

Lifiting off slightly when you need the gear to shift has always worked in auto mode which i think most of us naturally do :)..

The thing is, yes it may work in getting the ECU to change up in gears, but I wouldn't be misled into thinking that you are actually improving the operation of the gearbox.

I can here it more with my intake and exhaust.