Really bad vibration sound in Sportivo

My Sportivo developed a really bad vibration I had trouble in pinning down.

The symptoms:

When I hit lift there would be a really bad vibration noise from around the dash and when I came off lift then it would still vibrate for about 10 seconds.

When I was slowing down and compression braking the vibration sound would kick in pretty bad.

When I was sitting still and would just rev the motor a bit hard it would kick in but drop off as the revs dropped.

When a WRX with loud modded exhaust was next to me at the lights and took off

(I had not moved or touched my accelerator) the vibration had kicked in.

This was really pi$$ing me off and I was ready to take it into Toyota to find out what it was.

Can you solve the problem - I have try to guess and then read below

My E tol transponder had moved so that it was touching the glass on the front screen and was perfectly positioned to vibrate against the glass. The noise coming back from the screen seemed to amplify the noise (it was pretty loud) but you could not pin point where it was coming from.

Hey at least you dont have the noise my car is making...

When taking off.. especially on hills, My car exhibits a metal on metal scrapping noise...

Its pretty much right at the stall point... doesnt really matter what gear.. reverse, first or second mainly

Im hoping its just a heatshield rattling or something..

Its going into Toyota on Monday

p.s. Toyota tech came for a drive with me and said its nothing critical... but they need to get it up on the hoise to check it out

it could be the radio bracket which has a loose bolt in it. this happened to my car, they tightened it and it stopped for a while now its started again. ill get it done on the next service.

Gear cables, mine has returned to haunt me.. easy fix with 3 cable ties. Stupid gear cable recall did sh&t :angry: before the recall the cable ties fixed all rattles. I had mine done at Stewart Toyota Sutherland, will post a pic when its done.

The symptoms:

When I hit lift there would be a really bad vibration noise from around the dash and when I came off lift then it would still vibrate for about 10 seconds.

When I was slowing down and compression braking the vibration sound would kick in pretty bad.

When I was sitting still and would just rev the motor a bit hard it would kick in but drop off as the revs dropped.

This was really pi$$ing me off and I was ready to take it into Toyota to find out what it was.

yeah i have the same problem sounds like the noise comes from the air vents either side of the stereo.irritating rattling noise lol

but its been ten times worse since i had a new head unit installed.

ive been thingking of taking it back to toyota but knowing what there like they will blame it on the new head unit.

Gear cables, mine has returned to haunt me.. easy fix with 3 cable ties.  Stupid gear cable recall did sh&t :angry: before the recall the cable ties fixed all rattles. I had mine done at Stewart Toyota Sutherland, will post a pic when its done.

I would be very interested in the 3 cable tie fix...

My gear selector cables were replaced and that fixed the noise... for about 2 weeks :(

Now everytime i hit lift.. it returns to haunt me as well

Hey at least you dont have the noise my car is making...

When taking off.. especially on hills, My car exhibits a metal on metal scrapping noise... 

Its pretty much right at the stall point... doesnt really matter what gear.. reverse, first or second mainly

Im hoping its just a heatshield rattling or something..

Its going into Toyota on Monday

p.s. Toyota tech came for a drive with me and said its nothing critical... but they need to get it up on the hoise to check it out

I get that as well ... just rev it abit higher ... it will stop. But yeah it does get annoying.. :angry:

• 1 month later...

The symptoms:

My E tol transponder had moved so that it was touching the glass on the front screen and was perfectly positioned to vibrate against the glass. The noise coming back from the screen seemed to amplify the noise (it was pretty loud) but you could not pin point where it was coming from.

I have experience a similar problem to that before but i had it fix because i had my handbrake adjusted to tight it caused alot of vibrations noise throughout the cabin. loosen the handbrake to 8 clicks

i have sought of given up on fixing these noises as it will eventually come back.... toyota ain't a Euopean made...

i have tried leaving my car there for 3 days, yup ... everything is fixed but comes back after a while, the effect comes quicker when u hit lift.

i have come to live with it....but thats just me.....

Oh what a rattling...TOYOTA :lol:

Stop the negatives about the car. It was my e tol transponder vibrating against the window.

This was just to show how stupid you can be sometimes blaming the car when if you look around it's an easy fix and not the cars fault.