Import performance part costs?

Hi all,

just wanting to know what people have paid on 'import' parts for their toyota's?

example:

TRD flywheel

AEM Cold air intake

Wiesco pistons

or other things like that - that aren't readily available here.

Reason I'm asking is I'm looking into viability of importing parts from US / Japan and so far when I work out all the import costs / gst / profit increase (not much either) and so on it looks kind of expensive...

if anyone can give me some idea's on what they've paid for imported parts would be wonderful.

Cheers all.

I purchased a set of light up door sills on a group buy, thats gotta get me at least 6 extra KW at the wheels :P

Hi all,

just wanting to know what people have paid on 'import' parts for their toyota's?

example:

TRD flywheel

AEM Cold air intake

Wiesco pistons

or other things like that - that aren't readily available here.

Reason I'm asking is I'm looking into viability of importing parts from US / Japan and so far when I work out all the import costs / gst / profit increase (not much either) and so on it looks kind of expensive...

if anyone can give me some idea's on what they've paid for imported parts would be wonderful.

Cheers all.

Sorry, haven't bought any of that gear, just a CAI and front strut brace (both TRD). From memory, they cost me $480 + $170 + postage. Oh, I did get a TRD oil filter for about $30 too.

Edited by oz_viking

Thanks Oz_Viking...

to further explain to everyone why I'm after this:

I'm looking at starting a business up importing parts for people - for newer toyota's most of the parts (PERFORMANCE) I've found I can't get locally -but when I worked out the shipping + import duties + gst + profit margin + exchange rate...

Items seemed quite expensive.......eg:

a $389.00 flywheel from the US worked out to be around $800.00 which is a tad expensive I think.

Danz you're spot on ... but if I take into account say the supplier has a 7% markup on their product for retail pricing that still makes the item cost to me:

-=-=-

$389.00 US retail pricing - 7% = $361.77 US

$361.77 US = $482.01 AUD

$482.01 + $103.00 AUD Shipping (Ex US to Business. Business to client)

=$585.10 + 5% import tax

=$614.35 + 10% GST (FOR business - can be claimed as input credit)

=$675.78 + 5% markup (profit margin - and a small one I might add)

=$709.57 + 10% GST (GST to client)

=$780.53 Final sale price inc shipping to anywhere in australia for client.

-=-=-

What I want to know is $780.53 too expensive for clients to buy a flywheel for a 1zzfe / 2zzge.... and other prices will end up similar......

EDIT: I posted the above so people can see a price breakdown...as you can probably guess I'm not looking at doing this to become rich (yet) but more to get good quality parts in for our beloved toyota's so that we can have as much of an aftermarket setup as the Nissan market does.

The parts are OUT THERE...it's just getting them here that's a pain in the bum --> and yes you might have noticed two lots of GST in the above breakdown - it's because the business gets slugged gst on buying the parts and then the client gets charged gst on the markup price.

Edited by Guest

Danz you're spot on ... but if I take into account say the supplier has a 7% markup on their product for retail pricing that still makes the item cost to me:

-=-=-

$389.00 US retail pricing - 7% = $361.77 US

$361.77 US = $482.01 AUD

$482.01 + $103.00 AUD Shipping (Ex US to Business. Business to client)

=$585.10 + 5% import tax

=$614.35 + 10% GST (FOR business - can be claimed as input credit)

=$675.78 + 5% markup (profit margin - and a small one I might add)

=$709.57 + 10% GST (GST to client)

=$780.53 Final sale price inc shipping to anywhere in australia for client.

-=-=-

What I want to know is $780.53 too expensive for clients to buy a flywheel for a 1zzfe / 2zzge.... and other prices will end up similar......

EDIT: I posted the above so people can  see a price breakdown...as you can probably guess I'm not looking at doing this to become rich (yet) but more to get good quality parts in for our beloved toyota's so that we can have as much of an aftermarket setup as the Nissan market does.

The parts are OUT THERE...it's just getting them here that's a pain in the bum --> and yes you might have noticed two lots of GST in the above breakdown - it's because the business gets slugged gst on buying the parts and then the client gets charged gst on the markup price.

780.53 depends on which flywheel...

some if not most parts that are not readily available in aus, i find that if i import them myself it's still a lot cheaper than getting it or ordering it from local businesses.

most ppl in brisbane will know wat i'm talking about :P

no, that's your underwear after he takes you for a spin!!!

Does Shao like wearing other people's undies... :P :P

Just to bring this back on track (how did people's skids and undies get in here?)

I'm still trying to find out what people think is an acceptable price for some performance parts...I mean seriously does the price of a flywheel look to expensive?

*it's an 'MWR' flywheel that I used in the example*

Shao: I have to agree it would be cheaper to import them yourself in most cases...

Like I said I want to offer a service to get best price for everyone (not group buy type of dealie) and from what I've seen and worked out on a few different parts - things look quite expensive to me.... but then when the base for comparisson is the Nissan aftermarket parts arena which is well flooded with parts... it could just be expensive looking because there's no mass market for new toyota performance parts yet?

thoughts / comments / more price examples welcome.

Would love to know more on what people think.

Well i dont think you should import from USA, it is always more expensive with american $$ why dont u import from Japan, HongKong, China, taiwan or Singapore?? i bet the prices there will be alot cheaper there. If you get parts from Asia at wholesale price, it will also be alot cheaper. eg $100 retail, wholesale would be around $45.

If u know ur connection you even try get part over here, just tag along with someones crane and slip thru. :blink:

With ur price it is abit dear.

If you order say, 10-20 items from the supplier then they might give a bit more of a discount.

Or if you buy heaps of stuff and fill a shipping container, they cost about 2 grand Japan to Australia for a car sized one with tariffs and etc. But you might want shipping insurance on it. Thats for cars though, so it might be different for parts.

This company (http://www.kiwicar.com/) does transportation of cars and the like between Japan and Australia. Just food for thought as I know MWR is a USA company.

Im just thinking big here.