Rolla Swerving in the wet?

Hey boyz, im abit worried about my rolla swerving when i step on it steadily in the wet, it actually swerves side to side with wheel spin..im wondering if you guys have the same issue.. could it be my tyres? my tyres are falken with around 60% tread left even though the sides are abit warned out. Do i need an alignment or something? when ever i drive in the wet i have to step on it real gently to excellerate slowly... :huh: do you guys have the same issues? holla and let me know..... :P :unsure:

Mine does similar - but probably no where near as bad...I just figured it was a bit of torque steer......*shrug*

besides it adds to the fun of silliness in the wet.....

Its torque steer guys, its because the wheels at the front of the car are spinning.

With a RWD the back will step out but because a Corolla is FWD this causes the front of the car to shift across the road surface.

Better tyres may reduce this but will certainly not eliminate it.

Its torque steer guys, its because the wheels at the front of the car are spinning.

With a RWD the back will step out but because a Corolla is FWD this causes the front of the car to shift across the road surface.

Better tyres may reduce this but will certainly not eliminate it.

I hate torque steer.. LSD or some sort of TCS will help too. The UK Stivos have TCS standard. Actually quite a few FWD cars have them nowadays, the Accord Euro, Astra Turbo etc all have them.

Depending on the road surface when I hit lift in first and second be prepared to grab 1/4 lock to stay in your own lane. LOVE IT!!Then the rev limiter also comes along very quickly as well ;)

Edited by SILVABULLIT

Depending on the road surface when I hit lift in first and second be prepared to grab 1/4 lock to stay in your own lane. LOVE IT!!Tehn the rev limiter also comes along very quickly as well ;)

Its just annoying to me, if its a RWD losing traction and having to grab opposite lock that IS FUN but a FWD yuk :P

do you have falken 326's by any chance?  They're a ***** tyre in the wet, no grip at all.

I have Falken Ziex, and it is no good on the wet. On runabout, i could just understeer at such a low speed it is a joke :P Probably my suspension is all farked up also.

Danz,

I'd say your suspension setup would have something to do with excessive understeer in the wet. With not much travel in your shocks there would be alot of extra pressure on your tyres and everything else.

I have Falken Ziex 512's and i've found them to be quite good in the wet. I've done some trips in constant rain and the car never got off line or felt like it was going to aquaplane at any stage. Braking was also good.

This model tyre has a large channel up the centre that helps dramatically with water dispersion.

As for torque steer, its still there! But i'd expect that with any tyre.

Its not bad. Its just that if it was a wet day, at such a low speed on runabout, the car would just understeer bad. I don't have problems with it on wet days, but on runabout I just have to take pre-cautions, because it happened three times so far and it can happen again. They tyres, to me its good, am not too sure about track or what, but its been two years and it doesn't fail me :) However, yes I know this is a suspension problems in my case.

Its not bad. Its just that if it was a wet day, at such a low speed on runabout, the car would just understeer bad. I don't have problems with it on wet days, but on runabout I just have to take pre-cautions, because it happened three times so far and it can happen again. They tyres, to me its good, am not too sure about track or what, but its been two years and it doesn't fail me :) However, yes I know this is a suspension problems in my case.

i had the exact problem on my old ride. custom suspension no give at all... rollin on pirelli's pzeros.. wet i could almost drift!!!!!!!! very bad handling in wet. so i just didn't drive hard.

but now on my rolla with the F1's its excellent.!!! and not so stiff suspension.

do you have falken 326's by any chance?  They're a ***** tyre in the wet, no grip at all.

Hahaha yes they are falken Ziex 326, 205,40ZR 17

Wat tyre suggestions do you have for my 17s??? please reply all :blink:

Look under wheels and tyres, i have made my biased tyre recommendation clear in those topics :P

hehe might be the fact that i try to take it real easy in the rain

or maybe my car is week lol

i havent actually come across this problem yet

yes i have felt torque steer but not in the rain wich i suppose is a good thing just means im driving responsible :rolleyes: lol

also my car is like 3weeks old and the last time it rained a decent down pour was atleast a week ago so my tyres have like 99% tread left so that helps to i guess