ISSUES WITH IDLE

my 01 mr2 used to do this. only stalled once or twice but i got the engine rebuilt (due to blow over) and never had a problem. until trans went in it. i swear it was a lemon.

anyway I'm a noob this is my first post. cool yeah?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No not sure that will happen, it's something to do with the idle speed control as it seems to occur mostly when the car is warming up and it comes off fast idle.

I have to say I haven't had this happen for quite some time now.

This happened once on my sportivo 03 at lights while my air con was on. Turned a/c off & it stopped, turned it back on and it started again. Never had the problem since, the only thing ive done to my car since then was change the coolant and CAI.

Yeah guys add me to the list....06 ascent manual, running BP ultimate, shaking and shivering on tickover..

But please be very careful with Toyota dealers diagnosing this, a friend with an identical problem on a new car was told it was "probably" dirty fuel and was quoted $1500 to strip and clean out the entire fuel system...what a rip off... too many service advisors with their eyes on the team bonuses the dealers pay them !!

Hi Guys,

Usually idle control problems relate to the Idle control Valve, which is located under your throttlebody. If you look carefully, it's got 2 small hoses going into the valve , and depending on which model, it's either 2 going in from the same direction, or 2 going in like an L shape. As it gets older, it can get gunked up with bad ****.

It's a $500 brand new, but 2nd hand i scored mine for $110. If you go to a non-toyota mechanic, you can ask the mechanic to take the part out, immerse it in diesel or petrol, and let it soak for a minute or 2 to clean up the drit.

Look at the first few lines to see what it looks like here.

http://picasaweb.google.com.au/TiangC/2ZZGEEngineSwap

Labour, it's about 15 minutes to install, and about another 30 minutes to drain any bubbles in your coolant. so say 1.5 hours toyota time.

Nothing wrong with thermostats, etc, as the idle is controled by this valve, and any idle problems should start looking at here.

BTW, Addzz, good to see another MR2 spyder owner. Mines a 01 model too. Where about are you?

BTW, Addzz, good to see another MR2 spyder owner. Mines a 01 model too. Where about are you?

Melton, Vic. But I traded it in for a rolla. I had too many bad memories with the spyder. I was rear ended twice in it. A guy pulled out in front of me when i was doin about 70 and almost wrote it off. Then engine went in it and then a gearbox bearing destroyed the gearbox. it spent more time off the road then on it. it was a real chick magnet though. i'm gonna miss that part. rolla wont draw too much attention from chicks but at least i can fit my mtn bike in it. and the 2zz is fun. i always dreamed of putting one in the mr2. if you see or hear of anyone buying a spyder with reg xxxmr2 talk em out of it or feel sorry for them!

wow...MRS to Rolla...big change over. Sad to hear about ur engine dramas. I'm guessing it was a precats issue.

yeah, a broken 1ZZ is a good reason for a 2ZZ.

...and a broken 2ZZ is a good reason for a built 2ZZ :P

and built 2ZZs don't break.

That's my reckoning anyway. :)

nah the cats were gutted. it just started dramatically burning oil. and i forgot to check the oil for a week and it ran dry and blew. toyota said it was the ecu doing strange things. i'll never trust a 1zz again.

• 5 months later...
Hi there!

I'm new owner of Corolla 2006 and I have same problem. (idle too low -> engine stalling)

At first I was sure it was my inexperience responsible for motor stalling at each street corner...

I had 3 others Toyota and after 200-300km, now I'm sure it's not a 18inches code problem!

It's random, not occuring at each ride. But when it occurs, I noticed RPM stay too low when idling and I have to press very hard on gaz pedal to move without stalling, after that car runs well with rpm over 1500-2000.

Hot or cold, it's the same problem... and here in Quebec, it's winter with temperatures below zero.

It's seems to be like when we have an firing problem and we lose a cylinder for a while...

I will have to deal that with Toyota... I hope they will find that bug because I will regret my Tercel 1991 which was still in perfect condition (except for body...) when I decided to upgrade...

I will wait for that first 1000km to be sure trouble wont clear itself.

Louis.

Hi everybody,

For those who were suffering of same ****, Toyota finally reacted when I sent registered letters indicating that I would put cardboard citrus on top of my car with slogan: Corolla, the exception confirming the rule... :spiteful:

They changed, PCV valve, ECU, fuel pump, etc, etc... and nothing corrected my problem always stalling a each 3 street corner, it semmed to be an electronic problem too hard to find like harness defect, or bad sensor and they decided to stop spending time on it. :blink:

So after 21 months of going back and forth at the dealer , they changed my car for a brand new one (2008)! :clap:

I took another color to be shure I will not anticipate that **** bug again.

My new one is like nearly all others Toyota are: reliable and stable!

Case closed! :yahoo:

Louis