ISSUES WITH IDLE

Hey guys i need everyones hand up who is having the idle problem with there corolla acscent ! (not sportivo)

Ive spoken with the big head CEO operations manager of toyota i need people to come foward who are experiencing this problem ...

How the problem works?

When the car is cold after 10 mins of driving before the car has warmed up completely the cars idle will flactuate and drop under 500revs ... while adjusting to the normal driving temperature this can last up to 5 - 10 mins before the car is fully warmed up and the shaking will stop..

Toyota has changed my thermostat... but still no luck admitting there is a problem but theres nothing they can do until they get enough complaints... Apparently it is bad mapping ...

Let me know if anyone is experiencing the same problem?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had mine shudder once or twice ....

but never continuous.... i"ll keep an eye out for the problem and if it happens I'll report it.

I have the same problem... Idle fluctuate and get quite low causing the car to shake quite a fair bit. This happens more often when the car the is cold. After driving for about 15 minutes the problem seem to stop...

I notice that this problem happens more often in winter.

I have another friend who have the same problem his corolla.

My car is now out of warranty...but have had Toyota looking into the problem at least 3 times during warranty period but they say nothing is wrong.

people who are having this problem why do u post/share vin # to see if you all could have possibly come off the assembly line at the same time and there could have been issues with writting the base map to the ecu's or something

ye i had this problem, i kinda freaked out at first thinking i did something wrong because my car just turned off at some lights. Happened to me twice in a week. Youll just be driving the car and when coming to a complete stop you just feel the car shake and as if the car is barely on.After my car got sen to the garage due to the accident i had i no longer have that problem.no idea why or what they did but the car idles fine now. There is definitly a problem with these models.

Guys its a temperature thing ... its bad mapping Toyota told me what the problem is and explained it to me but theyre not going to fix it unless they get thousands of complaints until then were screwed!

Have you tried it ? ... dun think that will work ... cause the problem works like this ....

When you first start your car your going to have a high idle cause its cold and from the auto timer on the idle... anyways once it has dropped ... after 5 - 10 mins the cars temperature conditions changes rapidly so the cars thermostat opens up too quickly so the ecu will gets confused and not let enough fuel get in... which will make the car shake an vibrate the cars idle will drop until the cars reaches the right temperature ... 5 mins later the temperature will completely warm up which will make the ecu adjust itself stablizing the cars idle at the normal idle speed which is at 750 to 800rpms ...

Toyota showed me how it all works on there lil computer thing they even said to me the mapping is all wrong on these cars they tried changing the thermostat with no luck...

Im taking further action as my car is still under warranty and has been doing this since day 1...

Toyota said they can do nothing more for me to fix my car...

Ive taken it more then 8 times now... ive had enough! :angry:

i got this problem too, but it wasnt as bad as recently

about 3 weeks ago i got it more and suddenly i kept stalling more -_- either im really stupid or getting dumber =P

but yea my tank/km rate also went down heaps i use to do an average of 650km per 40-45lt's of petrol now i can barely get 450kmz out of a full tank in my levin.

somethings wrong with my levin -_-

anywayz back to the main topic yea, the shaking in idle problems getting worse for me. not as bad as turn on wait a while then stall. but it shakes pretty bad. im gonna try to get around and reset the ecu -_- maybe book it in for service, but iv only driven my car a good 6000 km since i got it.

p.s my car is stock as a rock since i got it. nothing changed or fix, mayb a lil panel beatting -_- from dad backing into something..... (parents *sigh*)

Edited by Mello

dude Resetting the ECU wont do **** ive tried it... i told you theres a fault in the mapping .... read my above post ... Toyota know theres something wrong with the corollas but they wont do nothing about it ....

Don't bother taking your car into service for them to look at it they will say its fine ... i met wit the head CEO Operations manager of Lexus and toyota and even he couldnt fix it ...

The only way we can fix it if toyota come up with a solution for this ... or do a recall ... but they really dont give a **** .. I dont know how they can sell cars that fukn shake and vibrate an even turn off! :angry:

• 2 months later...

I used to occasionally have this problem as well...

I put my emanage in, and it hasn't happened in a while....

The last time it did have this prob, with the emanage in, was when i drove it really hard in the natio park with Dylan, Bill, and KT...

It happens to me on occassion.

However...

It happens hot or cold

hard driving or gentle driving

Aircondition on and off.

My car has always run on high octane.

It's just random and could happen at any set of lights I stop at, so I can't really say that it's related to anything I do. It's not frequent, but it's there.

Yeah when my car was new (some 3 years ago) this was a bit of an issue...the idle revs never died until stall, but they ran dangerously low until the car was fully warmed up.

In recent times, since i have gotten my exhaust put in this has never happened again...regardless of vehicle temperature or accessories being used. Instead my car randomly idles between 500-1200 rpm. I also run on BP Ultimate

This is not normal, however it does not concern me and the car isnt randomly stalling. I am not sure how a free'er flowing exhaust system would influence this problem but...

i've still got this problem. <_< happens in mornings just after a cold night sometimes doesnt even have to be cold, all other features of the car are off apart from the stereo. <_<

Not only that, but after about 15 minute (thats about 3-4 minute warm up to the minimum "temp guage" then a 10 minute drive when the car gets to ---> fully warmed, and you come to a stationary position either at the lights or anywhere the car shudders a little as if you've just done a huge stretch, ( a few km's) and the cars suppose you could say gets use to the rev and all of a sudden you stop and the computer doesnt know wat to do but stutters. Up to that point i realise it happens and jolt the gas, and give it a few revs to try and stablize the shudering. It slowly goes away after that point. Only happens rarely like 1zz-fe said.

then again my car is a 2002 model <_< i doubt toyota would do anything to help me.

Edited by Mello

Thought of getting this onto national/state newspapers? Something like the SMH or daily telegraph could help bring this problem to light. Due of the amount of rollas that toyota sells, i'm pretty sure you'll be able to get the numbers.

Sometimes you just need the right catalyst and everything will fall into place.

good luck with it all!

Hey Guys,

I had this issue before the service i did last weekend in my 02' Levin

I dont know what fixed it but i did the following. Mostly based on what i read on this fourm.

I changed from 10w 40 oil to shell helix ultra 5w 40 (Ryco oil filter)

I brought a K&N air filter instead of the toyota one.

I reset the ECU following nothys instructions,

and i changed to Denso Iridium Spark plugs.

Since then the car idles smoother and the takeoff is like new. I also got the throttle body cleaned out and some octane treatment in with the BP ultimate.

I also noticed a quicker 0-100 tiem using my G meter thingo off ebay. I was running 8.9 before and cracked a 8.6 after the service.

-Bill

I changed from 10w 40 oil to shell helix ultra 5w 40 (Ryco oil filter)

I brought a K&N air filter instead of the toyota one.

I reset the ECU following nothys instructions,

and i changed to Denso Iridium Spark plugs.

that'll explain why i don't have idle problems! :D

i've done/got all 4 for the past 2 years! :D haha~

My cars idle is ****** up again ... Just started again yesterday even after toyota changed my ecu .... was ok for like 2 weeks now its dropped again... at the lights it just sits there farting and popping ....

at 500rpm instead of 750rpm feels like its gonna die.. :angry:

My cars idle is ****** up again ... Just started again yesterday even after toyota changed my ecu .... was ok for like 2 weeks now its dropped again... at the lights it just sits there farting and popping ....

at 500rpm instead of 750rpm feels like its gonna die..  :angry:

:(

at 500rpm instead of 750rpm feels like its gonna die..  :angry:

:(

when u guys FIRST turn ur car on what revs do you get at idle??

mien is liek 1,750-1,900 rpm

after about 10 mins i get about 800-900rpm which is normal but the first start is quite high and its a pretty loud induction roar haha