Parking Sensor funny after repair

tekkyy

After my car came back from the smash repair my parking sensor work slightly differently.

You know how at the 2nd closest distance it makes a rapid beep beep beep beep beep beep...

Then at closest distance it makes a continuous beeeeeeeeeep...

At the 2nd closest distance its still the same.

But at closest distance it makes a beep beep beep beep beeeeeeeeeep beep beep beep beep beeeeeeeeeep...

Also, I don't remember how it was before but now if I put my hand 3cm in front of sensor it doesn't sense at all.

Parking sensor indicators (lines) at the speedo still works.

Any ideas?

photo0162d.jpg

imag0153fb.jpg

After my car came back from the smash repair my parking sensor work slightly differently.

You know how at the 2nd closest distance it makes a rapid beep beep beep beep beep beep...

Then at closest distance it makes a continuous beeeeeeeeeep...

At the 2nd closest distance its still the same.

But at closest distance it makes a beep beep beep beep beeeeeeeeeep beep beep beep beep beeeeeeeeeep...

Also, I don't remember how it was before but now if I put my hand 3cm in front of sensor it doesn't sense at all.

Parking sensor indicators (lines) at the speedo still works.

Any ideas?

photo0162d.jpg

imag0153fb.jpg

I will check and make sure all the cables from the sensors are still connected properly to the control unit.

The impact of the crash might loosen up the connection or the panel beater did not connect the sensors properly to the control unit after they fixed the bumper.

I've only recently had mine back from the smash repairers where the rear bumper was replaced.

I did notice that the sensors were not the same as the factory ones, however I have not yet tested them out.

Maybe they have been replaced with an after market type which operate slightly different ?

I'll check mine out this arvo !

Noticed with my new Aurion Touring that rear parking sensors don't activate until rear bumper is very close to object, like less than 30cm and then very rapid increase in beeps until steady tone when you are just about touching. My previous car (Mazda 6)had rear sensors which started about one metre and gradually increased in pitch until steady tone at about 15cm. Can Toyota adjust them?

I heard somewhere that the range is adjustable. Twisting the circle or something.

As tekkyy said, look at your dash and see if it changes.

Just make sure that the black circle on the sensor is clear and hasn’t being painted over? As its this black ring that is the actually ultrasonic sensor. if your Aurion is factory fitted then the replacement sensor should be exactly the same as that fitted at Altona as it comes up in the normal parts catalogue and already come colour coded but it’s not unheard of for bodyworks to whack them in the bars and paint them again covering the sensor so that it doesn’t work quite right. But I’d be worried if the new sensor(s) look different to before. could mean the accessory kit has been fitted which personally i don’t think work as well as ZR6/Presara/prodigys or precise and the beeping noise they make is also more irritating lol other than that just make sure they haven’t made an amateurish mistake of not plugging them all back in :lol:

Just make sure that the black circle on the sensor is clear and hasn’t being painted over? As its this black ring that is the actually ultrasonic sensor. if your Aurion is factory fitted then the replacement sensor should be exactly the same as that fitted at Altona as it comes up in the normal parts catalogue and already come colour coded but it’s not unheard of for bodyworks to whack them in the bars and paint them again covering the sensor so that it doesn’t work quite right. But I’d be worried if the new sensor(s) look different to before. could mean the accessory kit has been fitted which personally i don’t think work as well as ZR6/Presara/prodigys or precise and the beeping noise they make is also more irritating lol other than that just make sure they haven’t made an amateurish mistake of not plugging them all back in :lol:

My Aurion Touring does have front sensor so hmmm I might have to check with the local smash repairer on the bumper replacement/repair to check with. I rear ended the other car but not a bad one. The kind when you take off only to hit the other car if you know what I mean? I haven't checked the sensors on it yet after the accident.

As Adamsy said the zr6/prodigy/presara sensors are better than the dealer fit units. Im not sure without looking which ones were fitted to the tourings , but if it is just the dealer fit type sensor get it checked to see all sensors are fitted up the correct way , there is a triangle on the housing that goes to the top. maybe an individual test is require to see if a sensor is faulty especially if it has had an impact.

Yeah in the garage I put my hand in front of one sensor at a time.

Anyway, used it outdoors today and all is normal. I get a solid continuous tone when its down to 1 bar.

Anyway, used it outdoors today and all is normal. I get a solid continuous tone when its down to 1 bar.

Oh good to hear mate, the sensor may of just being having a moment lol

False alarm.

Anyway, good to hear the sensor is ok now.

Oh good to hear mate, the sensor may of just being having a moment lol

Well thats odd :blink:

Because mine has recently come back from the panel shop where the rear bar was replaced and mine too work in reverse now.

They start beeping continuously and the closer you get, the lower the rate of the beep, which is not how the front ones work.

The indicators are too also working in reverse, max bars then as you get closer, the bars drop away.

I asked the panel shop today and they said they had the same trouble with a Prado recently. They only replaced the sensors on mine and they swear they were genuine factory sensors, so maybe they replaced them with the accessory kit ones ?

Does that mean that the factory units are not avaliable through Toyota parts ?

Car goes into gert serviced tomorrow at Sydney City Toyota, so I'll pose the question to them and see what comes out of it.

To be fair you'd have to be a fairly switched on panel shop to know if there a factory fit product or a dealer fit product.

However to clear your question up if you have a Prodigy, Presara ZR6 or 3500SL and punch out a front or rear sensor then these factory fitted sensor are a direct replacement part through the main parts catalogue same as any other part on the car like the bumper itself for example. Don't know if anybody has ever looked at the sensors but there completely different to look at when compared to the Dealer accessory kit. so if you have one of the above mentioned vehicles then it would be very random and difficult to end up with the dealer fit accessory.

Can cause your local dealer 5 minutes of searching when you do wreck one of the dealer fit kits though haha

However to clear your question up if you have a Prodigy, Presara ZR6 or 3500SL and punch out a front or rear sensor then these factory fitted sensor are a direct replacement part through the main parts catalogue same as any other part on the car like the bumper itself for example. Don't know if anybody has ever looked at the sensors but there completely different to look at when compared to the Dealer accessory kit. so if you have one of the above mentioned vehicles then it would be very random and difficult to end up with the dealer fit accessory.

Yes the vehicle's a facelift ZR6 and I 'assume' that both the front and rear sensors would be the same item ?

To look at both front and rear sensors, they look identicle in every way (except for the way they work in my case) :spiteful:

So I would expect from what you said that if I had the sensors from the accessory kit installed by mistake, I'd be able to spot the difference between the front and rear sensors.

So it looks like I have the correct sensors installed, yet suddenly they operate in reverse :P Beats me ! I don't really care all that much as I don't use them anyway, I only rely on them to tell me if anything is directly behind me where I cant visably see.

They start beeping continuously and the closer you get, the lower the rate of the beep, which is not how the front ones work.

The indicators are too also working in reverse, max bars then as you get closer, the bars drop away.

The beeps are obviously in reverse, but by the way you've described the indicators, they seem to be working fine.

My indicators show 3 bars I think when I'm far from the object and then drop down to 2 - 1 as I get closer. So your indicators seem fine *shrug*

Yes, it would appear that your right on that one Dauphin3 :P

I rarely rely on the audiable warning and certainly never look at my cluster when reversing, so I could have easily been wrong, which I was.

After spending 2 minutes reading the car's manual, it does state the sequence in which the system operates :whistling:

I picked up the car yesterday after being with Toyota for the day and the audiable sequence now operates in the correct manner. I asked the service rep what was the cause, but because it was late, they'd let most of the junior mechanics go for the day and he wasn't able to find out why. The sensors look the same, so I really don't know what they did ?