Lightweight Flywheel Vs Stock

Hi guys, been reading through, not much mentioned on actual comparison but a new clutch is due soon for my car (2004 corolla sportivo), now obviously Im going the Excedy HD option (TYK-7334HD) but i was curious whether others had changed to lightweight flywheel or kept the factory one and just got it shaved/machined.

Ive read you lose a fair bit of torque with lightweight fly but yet the car revs quicker, which confuses me, does that equate to quicker acceleration compared to stock but then even slower acceleration than stock once you've added weight?(say a passenger in the car with stock fly vs lightweight) if that makes any sense :S

Those who have changed their fly, is it a depressing difference with the drop of torque or well worth going lightweight seeing as the rolla aint any torque monster.Majority of the time I'm by myself in the car or with the GF who weighs basically as much as a grain of salt.(40Kgs)

Any tips/advice/suggestions would be great.

Thanks guys

Did up a big reply, but he browser crashed.

Driving with a lightweight flywheel isn't any different to driving with the stock flywheel. It is lighter but you will quickly develop new muscle memory to drive around it. I don't have a lightweight flywheel because I don't see the benefits for myself, but I have driven many cars with them. If you are dropping the gearbox, or working on the clutch you may as well throw a new flywheel on as it's the cheapest time to do it.

As for the torque question. The engine will always make a certain amount of torque. A lightweight flywheel will in fact reduce (not create) the mount of torque consumed in rotating it's mass. The reason it becomes more difficult to start off is because the flywheel has less inertia.

Superdave's last sentence says it all. So it comes down to getting used to a little diffrence in clutch control at the lights(Christmas Tree)

P/S Superdave - I have had the same prob with browser crash :angry: so I compose in Word then copy & paste

as superdave has mentioned, the lightweight flywheel does have less inertia. therefore, you will need to rev a little bit more driving up hill, and give it a bit more on take off.

apart from that, you do get used to it (i've got one in mine). definitely makes for quicker revving, thats for sure.

i've got the xtreme lightened chromoly flywheel and clutch. gets those revs quicker to lift Ggg.gif and when it reaches lift... its heaven No1.gif

I bought the same as him, and his right :P haha

Duy have you noticed lift is alot louder? Mine got louder.

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

So if it revs more freely does it help acceleration at all seeing as its getting to a certain rpm quicker or is that just when its in neutral.

Im just trying to find out the pro's and cons'

Also just noticed browsing on the MWR website, do i need this or would the excedy HD kit come with it?

http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=182_215_224&products_id=1084

And was looking at this?

http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=182_215_224&products_id=1074

Where do i find this "xtreme lightened chromoly flywheel" Imported? or Aus delivered?

Edit: Found the website!

Thanks again

Go to autopro fairfield on tangerine street, That is the same street villawood bunnings/macca's where the weekly meets are at, He sold it to me for 350$ im pretty sure. Cheapest i found.

Thanks guy, well definently will be getting light weight then.:D

So if it revs more freely does it help acceleration at all seeing as its getting to a certain rpm quicker or is that just when its in neutral.

Sure it helps as it frees up slightly more power from the engine, but don't expect to go 0.5s quicker down the drag strip.

i have the toms light weight flywheel that i pulled out of my car when i replaced everything with the MWR setup if ur interested .... send me a pm if u r.

I love my fizanza it the lightest around and only $290 usd from ebay :)

After fitting car was quicker and loves to rev faster, did not even seem any harder to drive like people say.

One of the best mods (With LSD)

Edited by matt_glad
  • Like 1

i Redid my clutch to HD in my 05 sptivo, it has inprooved in gear changes but not as much as wat i expected, was going to do the flywheel as well but got sent the wrong one :(

so i gotta wait til somthing goes wrong with the box b4 i pull it out an do the flywheel, in witch i'm still lookin for one if anyone has,

forged ultra lightweight flywheel (:

i Redid my clutch to HD in my 05 sptivo, it has inprooved in gear changes but not as much as wat i expected, was going to do the flywheel as well but got sent the wrong one :(

so i gotta wait til somthing goes wrong with the box b4 i pull it out an do the flywheel, in witch i'm still lookin for one if anyone has,

forged ultra lightweight flywheel (:

Mate trust me you dont want anything wrong to happen to the gearbox in these cars. a friend blew his couldnt find one for under 2grand and everything started going wrong with his car.