Starting Engine Issues

RickyZR6

Hi All,

Im having issues in the morning starting the ZR6....It used to start straight away but now its trying to start but takes a few seconds and then kicks over....

Has anyone come across this problem and had it fixed???

My car has only done 82,000km and serviced regulary by Toyota only.

Thanks,

Rick.

Check the voltage of the battery and see what it is. Have you been using the car battery while the car is off such as audio system or lights? Also like ZR6XY said the terminals can be dirty so give them a clean if they are dirty.

I had the same problem ,my car has 75000klms, but when i had my battery checked it was all ok .

On top of this i had soot on the rear bumper and my fuel economy had gotten worse , so it was recommended that i had an injector clean done. ( By toyota )

It cost $100 dollars but seems to have solved the starting problem. Will have to wait a bit longer to see if im getting better fuel economy again .

Edited by MyATX

can spark plugs pay a factor to the issue? you're currently 10000km from replacing them.

Toyota "recommends" 90000km to change them but seriously they are rated for 150000+km. Just a way of making more money.

Toyota "recommends" 90000km to change them but seriously they are rated for 150000+km. Just a way of making more money.

Care to point out where exactly you got this information from that they are rated for 150,000km+?

The spark plugs are of the type with an Iridium tip and a Platinum pad (ground), which from what I have read from Denso/NGK/Bosch, are specified to have a typical service life of 100,000km.

Care to point out where exactly you got this information from that they are rated for 150,000km+?

The spark plugs are of the type with an Iridium tip and a Platinum pad (ground), which from what I have read from Denso/NGK/Bosch, are specified to have a typical service life of 100,000km.

Was reading on one of the german websites where their BMW and Mercedes had Iridium spark plugs and some guy took a pic at 150000 and they were still fine.

Maybe Euro cars are different from Jap cars but i don't know.

Hi Guys,

I am having a similar problem with my 07 ATX Aurion it has done 45 000km. I took it for its 45 000km service and I told them that it has a problem starting in the morning.

The car wouldnt start right away yesterday morning so I left it with toyota for further inspection. It faulted once with them when they did the service and they said fuel pump or fuel regulator. Now I get a call saying they can't fault it and there is nothing wrong with the fuel system, "come back to us when it faults and we will keep it here for couple of days and run more tests". :(

Battery voltage has passed their tests, I asked them if they have looked at the sparkplugs/starter motor but I was told thats not the issue. If its not the fuel system or the electrical system, then what? Its all a bit confusing, the car has extended warranty but toyota car care wants the mechs to pin point the fault before they can act.

Cheers,

Was reading on one of the german websites where their BMW and Mercedes had Iridium spark plugs and some guy took a pic at 150000 and they were still fine.

Maybe Euro cars are different from Jap cars but i don't know.

i understand what ricky is saying. i have seen it on a couple of presaras . spark plugs are nearly due , injector clean may also help.

on initial start (either first cold or after sitting for a couple of hours) the engine used to crank over maybe 2 or 3 revolutions the fire up , but now it is more like 7 to 10 revolutions to fire up... if im understanding correctly.

i have seen an injector issue (dribbling injectors). replaced them and all good. maybe the dealer can check fuel pressure and see if it drops and doesnt hold. also see if the fuel trims are within spec..

but cheapest way to go would be to do an on car injector clean and maybe spark plug replacement.

Im thinking spark plugs as mine is well overdue for my 3rd set and on first turnover takes quite a few turns to start,sometimes it wont start first time but release and wind again it fires straight away.

• 2 weeks later...

Re-booked the car for this Thursday to get it checked out, lets see if they can fix it this time.Will keep you guys informed of the outcome. What a mission dry.gif

Ok so I rebooked and thank god I got answer back, it was the VVTI Sprocket, it has sludgy oil build up and its not timing properly, don’t quote me here :( I could have misunderstood the mechanic.

Parts are coming from Japan, engine is going to be dropped and is going to be opened for further inspection and get it fixed. Let’s hope this is the issue.