Gen 6 Turbo Camry!

private number

Upon researching turbo upgrades for the gen 6 camry, i stumbled upon this.

58398466_1.jpg

http://sydney.olx.com.au/2007-toyota-camry-turbo-sportivo-iid-58398466

Seller may be fake or a scam, but i highly doubt that camry is fake. Must be out there somewhere. If someone knows more details about this car, or knows the owner. Please hit me up. Would love to know more information about it and more info on turboing the 2az!

Thanks in advance

Edited by private number

58398466_1.jpg

Seller may be fake or a scam, but i highly doubt that camry is fake. Must be out there somewhere. If someone knows more details about this car, or knows the owner. Please hit me up. Would love to know more information about it and more info on turboing the 2az!

Thanks in advance

The car itself definitely isn't fake, saw it at Autosalon on the dyno run myself, no idea as to who owns it or where it normally lives though.

The car itself definitely isn't fake, saw it at Autosalon on the dyno run myself, no idea as to who owns it or where it normally lives though.

Yeah? Any idea on numbers or any information you could remember?

shot the guy an e-mail or call him bro

Wont waste my time, i doubt the owner itself would sell it for 6.5k. Considering the turbo + gearbox upgrades and break upgrades + Piggy back + tune would of cleared that 6.5 easy

It's putting down 176.5 kW / 236.7 HP

Number 15 on this page:

http://www.hpheaven.com.au/features/dyno-event-results/29/autosalon-newcastle-round-5-08/

I guess having the name "Simi Matoka" may help you a bit. Also, apparently the work was a little rough according to what the eBay post once contained:

Turbo Charged Camry

There are a few kits out there for the 2az-fe and start from as little as $800AU + shipping from the US (http://speed-daddy.com/index.php/turbo-kit-21-piece-2az-fe-toyota-scion.html) to a $3000US kit from GReddy (http://www.frsport.com/Greddy-11510090-Tuner-Turbo-Kit-03-06-Scion-tC-2AZ-FE_p_13953.html) that are simply a matter of bolting on everything that is included.

These kits are made for the US ScionTC which also runs the 2az-fe (and a few others: Camry, Camry Solara etc)

I've spoken to The Viking about these kinds of kits for the 2az (with fitting to the Gen5 Camry) and he says it's practically hassle free as there is only 1 part that needs to be modified in order for a bolt on kit to fit. When he gets back from holiday I'll ask him and get back to you.

It's putting down 176.5 kW / 236.7 HP

Number 15 on this page:

http://www.hpheaven.com.au/features/dyno-event-results/29/autosalon-newcastle-round-5-08/

I guess having the name "Simi Matoka" may help you a bit. Also, apparently the work was a little rough according to what the eBay post once contained:

Turbo Charged Camry

Thanks daryl, appreciate it heaps. Did a bit of fb stalking and found a guy with that name. FB msged him, now awaiting reply lmao!

mmm, i wonder how much boost he was running. Them numbers seem very low considering what princesspeach aka paul and gene have done over in the US

There are a few kits out there for the 2az-fe and start from as little as $800AU + shipping from the US (http://speed-daddy.com/index.php/turbo-kit-21-piece-2az-fe-toyota-scion.html) to a $3000US kit from GReddy (http://www.frsport.com/Greddy-11510090-Tuner-Turbo-Kit-03-06-Scion-tC-2AZ-FE_p_13953.html) that are simply a matter of bolting on everything that is included.

These kits are made for the US ScionTC which also runs the 2az-fe (and a few others: Camry, Camry Solara etc)

I've spoken to The Viking about these kinds of kits for the 2az (with fitting to the Gen5 Camry) and he says it's practically hassle free as there is only 1 part that needs to be modified in order for a bolt on kit to fit. When he gets back from holiday I'll ask him and get back to you.

Thanks for that andrew. You wouldnt know what part needs to be modified would you? Would it be the block would need to be shaven or something?

Ive read off tn from people who done it that its not as easy as it seems. Especially the wiring for the piggy back and what not. But obviously you would know more than me in the matter, so ill wait for you to get back at me brother! Thanks heaps.

I would try contact paul over in the USA about his set up, however apparently he sold his turbo kit (which i may add was a piece of junk apparently) and owes a lot of people on tn a lot of money so his currently MIA at the moment :( And the question arises, why are they selling their turbo kits so quickly? Must of found something and are not willing to tell people about it?

I knew it was you the moment I saw the thread title. :D

Gonna tell you if I stumble on more info.

haha you know me vick. Starting to get bored of my car, cause i already know what im gonna do next. So now im thinking about my next major mod. Still needs a lot of research into this though IF im going to go through with it. Interestingly enough, someone has turbocharged the 2gr and brought up results similar to the 2az. If anyone is bored, read up this thread!

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315212&highlight=turbo

Edited by private number

mmm, i wonder how much boost he was running. Them numbers seem very low considering what princesspeach aka paul and gene have done over in the US

Sigh. Have you not learnt yet that those Yanks keep quoting figures from Dynojet dynos. Those dynos spew out figures that more represent the figure at the flywheel. Compared to a Dyno Dynamics dyno, those figures can be up to 18-20% higher. This is my main pet peeve with them as they always try to compare d****.

Interestingly enough, someone has turbocharged the 2gr and brought up results similar to the 2az. If anyone is bored, read up this thread!

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315212&highlight=turbo

That is true with respect to HP, but what you aren't seeing is the torque. Just because the HP max on the 2GR under boost may be the same as the 2AZ, the 2GR will benefit with added torque. Something to consider. It isn't always about the HP.

I had a chat with the Viking regarding the kits and he told me that there was an issue with a particular kit (cant recall which one) required you to grind a part on the engine in order to allow the manifold to fit.

This issue may not hold true across all kits as there may be variances from each manufacturer. Small mods like this are the nature of the beast anyway (that is, modding your car).

As for the ECU wiring, that is why you have a tuner. Get them to wire it and tune it. It's their job!

I had a chat with the Viking regarding the kits and he told me that there was an issue with a particular kit (cant recall which one) required you to grind a part on the engine in order to allow the manifold to fit.

This issue may not hold true across all kits as there may be variances from each manufacturer. Small mods like this are the nature of the beast anyway (that is, modding your car).

As for the ECU wiring, that is why you have a tuner. Get them to wire it and tune it. It's their job!

That is no surprise to me andrew! The block needs to be shaved. All because these kits are built for the scion and arent exactly bolt on into the 2az camry.

Apart from that, the kit would need new intercooler piping (easy fix). I been getting word that the dudes who pioneered the turbo in the 2az camry was actually disappointed in the result. They said they blew their engine so gave up however, the turbo they used was small to begin with.

the 2az in the scion apparently can withstand over 400hp+ on the stock block. Amongst researching and asking various people in the states, the 2az in the camry can also withstand that amonunt however, the turbo that would need to be built in the camry will have to be bigger than anyone has tried before.

As for the wiring, our ECUs have never been cracked before, which i assume is making it hard to attach a piggy back?

Like i said, still a n0ob. so any crits or discrepancies with what i have said is welcome! :)

And i think thats what they did. They seemed like they knew what they were doing, but blew engines in the process due to experimentation. Atleast what i have been told.

And thats something i dont want to do.

Adding more power + still be reliable for DD is what i want. Not wanting to run crazy boost or anything. But i just want to do this right. If i can get a spare engine, then that would be sweet as too! 2gr engine drop could also be an option I am looking into. However havent really looked into it much.

That is no surprise to me andrew! The block needs to be shaved. All because these kits are built for the scion and arent exactly bolt on into the 2az camry.

Apart from that, the kit would need new intercooler piping (easy fix). I been getting word that the dudes who pioneered the turbo in the 2az camry was actually disappointed in the result. They said they blew their engine so gave up however, the turbo they used was small to begin with.

the 2az in the scion apparently can withstand over 400hp+ on the stock block. Amongst researching and asking various people in the states, the 2az in the camry can also withstand that amonunt however, the turbo that would need to be built in the camry will have to be bigger than anyone has tried before.

As for the wiring, our ECUs have never been cracked before, which i assume is making it hard to attach a piggy back?

Like i said, still a n0ob. so any crits or discrepancies with what i have said is welcome! :)

Buying a bolt on kit will solve most of your 'what needs to be done issues' then it would just be a matter of ironing out any issues that come up during installation.

I'm not sure if not having the ecu map makes it harder for the tuner to attach (as they need to tap into the right wires for the piggyback to operate, ignition, fuel etc). However, I found an ECU pinout for the ScionTC 2az-fe here: http://www.powerenterpriseusa.net/products/electric/camcon/ECU-data/tC%2007%20Pins.pdf . For the most part the pinouts should be the same but there may be one or two differences (the 1mz-fe pinout in the US is only slightly different to the AU 1mz).

So really if you aren't confident tapping into your ECU harness. Buy a piggyback ECU (secondhand is good as you don't care for the harness you get, as there probably won't be a ready made one for the 2az), print out the ECU pinout and give it to your tuner. They'll do the rest.

If you are going to daily this car, IMO you need to the below two things;

Build the internals (nothing crazy if you want low boost, but stock gear, no matter how well tuned wont last as long or be as reliable)

Buy a full standalone ECU and get it tuned properly

Build the internals (nothing crazy if you want low boost, but stock gear, no matter how well tuned wont last as long or be as reliable)

Of course, totally forgot about going standalone

Buying a bolt on kit will solve most of your 'what needs to be done issues' then it would just be a matter of ironing out any issues that come up during installation.

I'm not sure if not having the ecu map makes it harder for the tuner to attach (as they need to tap into the right wires for the piggyback to operate, ignition, fuel etc). However, I found an ECU pinout for the ScionTC 2az-fe here: http://www.powerenterpriseusa.net/products/electric/camcon/ECU-data/tC%2007%20Pins.pdf . For the most part the pinouts should be the same but there may be one or two differences (the 1mz-fe pinout in the US is only slightly different to the AU 1mz).

So really if you aren't confident tapping into your ECU harness. Buy a piggyback ECU (secondhand is good as you don't care for the harness you get, as there probably won't be a ready made one for the 2az), print out the ECU pinout and give it to your tuner. They'll do the rest.

Thanks for that. Link saved! Now this is becoming more clear to me and it seems easier than i originally thought. Not saying that this wouldnt be a mission to do. But other things that neeed to be addressed are tougher transmission and bigger brakes. Which wont clear my wheels. All up, looking at about 10k just for turbo, beefier transmission, bigger brakes, new ecu and a tune.

So atm, looking into doing a v6 drop. Found an 2gr engine for 5k in the area. What things would need to be changed in the camry ? WOuld it be similar to a turbo? ei new ecu straight out of the aurion, transmission and maybe brakes too?

Of course, totally forgot about going standalone

If i head down this path, yes i will build the internals. Gonna do it right the first time. (Thats if i end up doing drastic engine mods in the first place haha)

Edited by private number

I can't comment on the amount of work required for a swap to the 2gr, but with your brakes a simple change to slotted rotors and sportier pads will do the trick.

The Gen6 calipers paired with slotted rotors are an excellent upgrade over standard.

• 9 months later...

58398466_1.jpg

Thanks in advance

If that's a NSW plate and what I'm seeing here is correct ,this car is around Sydney ,had different plates,though it could be a look a like.

I recently purchased a spare motor with 3000kms on it.

I'm ready for my turbo upgrade now.

Time to start fabricating.....................