Better Boot Lighting

Old thread but i seen something the other day and thought that is perfect. i went up to Newcastle with a mate to pick his new liberty up and he started modding it before we even got back home. Stopped in Sydney to get a few things done including LED light swaps. he also had some thin LED strips put in the boot to lighten things up and they would solve the darkness issue in the Aurion’s boot. They are a simple thin LED strip that simply clips to each other with adhesive strips on the back to faster to the ceiling of the boot. 3 seems to be the magic number in boots and an Aurion boot is slightly bigger than a liberty’s but i think 3 would still do the job. Then there is a "harness" that plugs into one end of the strip and then into the T10 bulb socket in the boot. Dead easy and looks great. I am trying to get hold of some pics so stay tuned!

post-14878-0-58477700-1318760316_thumb.j

They do look tops. What'd they set him back?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Old thread but i seen something the other day and thought that is perfect. i went up to Newcastle with a mate to pick his new liberty up and he started modding it before we even got back home. Stopped in Sydney to get a few things done including LED light swaps. he also had some thin LED strips put in the boot to lighten things up and they would solve the darkness issue in the Aurion’s boot. They are a simple thin LED strip that simply clips to each other with adhesive strips on the back to faster to the ceiling of the boot. 3 seems to be the magic number in boots and an Aurion boot is slightly bigger than a liberty’s but i think 3 would still do the job. Then there is a "harness" that plugs into one end of the strip and then into the T10 bulb socket in the boot. Dead easy and looks great. I am trying to get hold of some pics so stay tuned!

post-14878-0-58477700-1318760316_thumb.j

They do look tops. What'd they set him back?

There a "little up there..." worked out at $15.00 a strip. Cost him $45 for the 3 LED strips and the harness. 2 minutes to install.

Which shop was it from please?

There's a guy on the forums selling strips Jason34 something, 6 bucks ea or something, and he made a thread about It too, I'll link you to it as soon as I get to my laptop,

edit:

here you go dude, :]

There's a guy on the forums selling strips Jason34 something, 6 bucks ea or something, and he made a thread about It too, I'll link you to it as soon as I get to my laptop,

edit:

That would be me :D haha

Thanks for the ad endorsement! Yeah I have white strips if anyone needs them, custom lengths, good brightness and installation if in Melbourne! :)

edit:

That would be me :D haha

Thanks for the ad endorsement! Yeah I have white strips if anyone needs them, custom lengths, good brightness and installation if in Melbourne! :)

i still need to go to you man ! hahah havent had time :( ! i want my interior to glow even more reddddd :P

Well the guy he got them put in by was named Leo, who is pretty much the Subaru owner’s club equivalent of our DJKOR from what i can tell lol. I’ll try and get some details and he deals in many makes and models. I am going to get a set for my car as is my mates mum for her 40 series Camry.

Thanks gang. I am in Sydney but from Melbourne. I love the idea if it is available of just pluging the wire into the globe socket is this feature available? If not no drama haveplayed with many wires over the years.

If anyone gets a link to this Subaru fella if he is in Sydney could they please post it?

Spied

Thanks gang. I am in Sydney but from Melbourne. I love the idea if it is available of just pluging the wire into the globe socket is this feature available? If not no drama haveplayed with many wires over the years.

If anyone gets a link to this Subaru fella if he is in Sydney could they please post it?

Spied

It most certainly is. You simple clip as many LED strips together as you want (within reason, I’m sure you can’t go on forever) peel back the adhesive strip cover and attach it inside your boot then get the harness. One end connects to the last LED strip then the other simply connects directly into your T10 Socket in your boot. Easy as that!

I have an '08 Aurion Touring model (purchased S/H) and the boot light does not work. All the wiring seems OK and also the bulb.

Is there a switch to control this light, which is rigged to the boot hinge or other fixture?

If so could someone let me know where to look?:unsure:

Is there a switch to control this light, which is rigged to the boot hinge or other fixture?

If so could someone let me know where to look?:unsure:

The switch is part of the latch mechanism on the boot lid itself.

So i have ordered 3x LED strips and harness. Will post images once installed and a write up if i think there as half decent as first impressions seem them to be.

Do you have a link to where you ordered them please?

NO link as such, my mate ordered a set from his Subaru forum buddy for his mum's car and i more or less jumped on yeah get me a set whilst your at it bandwagon. i will how ever get the details of this fella that has them so if you would like his details PM me and ill give the the contact details.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any luck locating the socket for the plug and play boot lighting I've been to several auto shops and my local auto electrician

Why not just disconnect the existing lamp holder and plug your other lights into that? Thin blade terminals plug conveniently into the connector for the lamp holder.

I received my kit last night so i will get some images of it tonight and post some of the kit and how it installs. I am still trying to get hold of this guys contact info so people that have PM me stand by for further details.

So as mentioned earlier i installed the LED strips into the Aurion after work, they sit just inside the lip of the boot out of harm’s way just nicely with the harness running back alongside the LED strip, see attached images.

HOWEVER..... i have a drama which I’m sure one of the clever guys on here will be able to point out why it does it and how its best fixed. When you shut the boot the LED's do not switch off. I only found this out by chance as something told me o pull down the ski port and see if they had gone off which they hadn’t... so just for a long shot i closed all the doors to see if they were randomly switched to the dimming interior light but no joy. So i put the T10 wedge globe back in and sure enough it switched off so to be more precise i pulled the sub and amp rack out of my car (which made me as happy as the dude that takes one for the team and does the fat chick!) so i could see right into the boot just to be sure the wedge globe was off and it wasn’t that the light output was so poor i couldn’t see it illuminating anything and sure enough LED stays on T10 didn’t.. Then of course i realised i didn’t need to of pulled the gear out of my car as when using a screwdriver to flick the latch on the boot i got the same result which sucks because the look awesome, any ideas boys?

post-14878-0-46813500-1320744684_thumb.j

post-14878-0-84809000-1320744897_thumb.j

post-14878-0-26382300-1320745176_thumb.j

post-14878-0-63260800-1320745332_thumb.j

post-14878-0-60840400-1320745487_thumb.j

post-14878-0-30893400-1320745632_thumb.j

post-14878-0-80719000-1320745912_thumb.j

post-14878-0-61239800-1320746017_thumb.j

post-14878-0-00518900-1320746204_thumb.j

post-14878-0-24084600-1320746508_thumb.j

FYI, Toyota use ground switching for most of their electrics. This means that the positive terminal of the boot light will always have constant battery voltage present.

So get yourself a multimeter and with no load on the boot light circuit (ie. unplug your LED's etc) and with your boot latch locked, measure the resistance between the negative terminal of the boot light socket and ground. You can use the boot latch as a ground point, otherwise an amplifier body ground will do. If you measure any form of resistance. Ideally it should be an infinite reading. It won't take much contact with ground somewhere to mess things around. If you are seeing a few megaohms between the negative terminal and ground, then this is all it takes to get the LED's to give a dim glow. Obviously the less the resistance, the brighter your LED's are going to light up.

If you are getting an infinite reading, I would then be leaving your LED's the way they are and try to disconnect the connection to the light socket. Then use your multimeter to test between the negative terminal of the LED's to ground. Same deal as above. If you get any reading there that isn't infinite, I would make sure your LED's are completely isolated from the body of the car. If you get an infinite reading there, then I would be sussing out your connection to the lamp socket itself.

Those pictures... despite being massively sized, do not really give me a clear idea of their construction. Those LED's don't appear to be the ones that are completely sealed in silicon. They do look like there is the potential for part of it to ground itself with the body of the car. If you ask me, I'd reckon the issue lies in that.

This is why I use and recommend LED strips that are completely sealed when fixing them to metal surfaces of the car, or to where they may potentially contact metal surfaces. The ones I use look like this:

di-613207509685.jpgdi-913207509795.jpg

ahh well tomorrow i will take them off the car and plug them in and see if that makes a difference. rather annoying it just works in the Suby lol

Better bring it round and let an expert take a look. :P

HAHA yeah yeah i'll drop around tonight see if we can suss the biatch out. they look pretty sweet. wasnt sure if three would be enough to light the boot up as well as it did the Spec B's as the Suby's is noticeable smaller than Aurion's but nope really happy with them.