METAL's HID Installation - Low Beam

Well i got my HID's and within 4 hours had them in snug and working !

I chose a

LOW BEAM

- 35 Watt Slim Line Ballast

- 6000 Kelvin Globe

- H9 fitting which is the same as the H11 funnily enough!

HIGH BEAM.

- 55 Watt Slim Line Ballast

- 6000 Kelvin Globe

- HB3 Fitting - They are rare and took 5 weeks to get in from my supplier.

The Installation . . .

(Sorry for image size i cant make them any smaller unless i sit on Photoshop all day lol - Best option is the Press and hold CTRL and scroll the mouse wheel which will Zoom IN / OUT)

BETTER YET DOWNLOAD ALL THE PHOTO's HERE will be faster in the long run: http://www.mediafire.com/?fgh2o92h4wzfxcr

(You Need WinRAR to open or equivalent Download WinRAR Here)

post-21214-0-47062100-1306032664_thumb.j

post-21214-0-50686300-1306032687_thumb.j

post-21214-0-45064100-1306032711_thumb.j

post-21214-0-93974500-1306032735_thumb.j

post-21214-0-99919000-1306032758_thumb.j

post-21214-0-59674100-1306032782_thumb.j

Best set of pliers to get the plastic plugs out

post-21214-0-54709400-1306032806_thumb.j

Aurion's Jaws drops :D

post-21214-0-78866800-1306032829_thumb.j

post-21214-0-31803500-1306032853_thumb.j

post-21214-0-10834800-1306032877_thumb.j

NAKED O_O

post-21214-0-55276100-1306032913_thumb.j

The HID kit itself (Ballast Left to Globe on the Right)

post-21214-0-05744400-1306032937_thumb.j

The Wiring Harness on the left side of the car

post-21214-0-12275500-1306032961_thumb.j

post-21214-0-34209600-1306032989_thumb.j

post-21214-0-89998300-1306033012_thumb.j

post-21214-0-63670900-1306033036_thumb.j

post-21214-0-84393000-1306033059_thumb.j

post-21214-0-83836900-1306033082_thumb.j

post-21214-0-11414600-1306033106_thumb.j

White SMD LED Globe for Parker Lights

post-21214-0-73416100-1306033129_thumb.j

Standard Halogen Parker Globe

post-21214-0-39198500-1306033272_thumb.j

post-21214-0-11473700-1306033296_thumb.j

HID Low beam During the day

post-21214-0-87005100-1306033318_thumb.j

Standard Halogen Low Beam During the day

post-21214-0-91671000-1306033342_thumb.j

HID Low beam and Halogen High Beam (Shows the colour Difference)

post-21214-0-25306400-1306033366_thumb.j

post-21214-0-59841000-1306033389_thumb.j

post-21214-0-77285300-1306033412_thumb.j

post-21214-0-18852500-1306033436_thumb.j

post-21214-0-39627100-1306033459_thumb.j

Birds eye view - Right Side

post-21214-0-48658100-1306033482_thumb.j

Birds eye view - Right Side Close Up

post-21214-0-20661800-1306033523_thumb.j

Birds eye view - Left Side

post-21214-0-43405200-1306033546_thumb.j

Birds eye view - Left Side Close Up

post-21214-0-34387400-1306033569_thumb.j

Thats a lotta big pics they almost fill my 30" monitor! Nice job did mine a few weeks back too, bloody pain that you have to drop the front end down just a to find a good place to bolt the ballests.

You probably shouldn't install HIDs into your high beam... Unless you drive around using your high beam, HIDs will not be practical when you need to flash other drivers. HIDs will take at least several seconds to warm up and become bright. So not the best idea..

You probably shouldn't install HIDs into your high beam... Unless you drive around using your high beam, HIDs will not be practical when you need to flash other drivers. HIDs will take at least several seconds to warm up and become bright. So not the best idea..

I don't tend to flash other drivers lol doesn't phase me the slightest!

And i do lots of nighttime driving on highways and dark back streets all times of the night any day of the week so its all most a must have in my books :D

And i do lots of nighttime driving on highways and dark back streets all times of the night any day of the week so its all most a must have in my books :D

Thats fair enough then. In Melbourne, too many unmarked cop cars parked on the nature strip with speed cameras attached to the front. Flashing drivers literally every day :D I do it because others have saved me a few times haha

Thats fair enough then. In Melbourne, too many unmarked cop cars parked on the nature strip with speed cameras attached to the front. Flashing drivers literally every day :D I do it because others have saved me a few times haha

Well then got a smartphone ? try this app on for size - http://www.trapster.com/index.php

Props for the write-up METAL13.

... bloody pain that you have to drop the front end down just a to find a good place to bolt the ballests.

That statement makes me LOL:

It is completely hidden under the plastic that goes on top:

dsc05887f.jpg

... bloody pain that you have to drop the front end down just a to find a good place to bolt the ballests.

dsc05887f.jpg

:(could of posted that pic a couple weeks back :( but again mine are down low and work well there with a couple tec screws lol

Thats a nice write up Metal..I got very lazy with my ballasts and just used double sides..but I have to try doing what DJ did like hiding it under the side plastic bit..never thought of that :)

:(could of posted that pic a couple weeks back :( but again mine are down low and work well there with a couple tec screws lol

Hope you didn't mount them TOO low.

When I retrofitted bixenon HID's to my Landcruiser a coupla years back, I chose to install the ballasts just below the bullbar (for easier access and installation of upgraded wiring harnesses). Unfortunately, HID ballasts don't like being dunked or high pressure sprayed from driving through puddles or wet roads. Things to watch out for specifically are the screws holding the HID ballast assembly together. These are usually made of non corrosion resistant metal, and are the first to go. After a while, water seepage occurs, and ultimately shorts the ballast out.

When it shorts, you'll definitely know it. Was out Ora Banda way in the Goldfields, during a torrential downpour, slippin n slidin on a track little better than clay slop and trying to get back to the bitumen before it got too bad. All of a sudden there was a huge bright blue/white flash from under the bonnet in the engine bay and an accompanying loud, explosive POP immediately followed by the RHS headlight going out (luckily I still had the LHS and twin HID Pencil/spread beams working ok).

Good news for me at the time was at least it was a quick, single catastrophic failure with no resulting fire and all other electrics were working fine. So I continued on. Got back to Kalgoorlie, then and had a good look in the engine bay. The ballast was toast (exploded) but the failure was contained to just the ballast and both the harness and bulb were salvageable.

I checked the other ballasts and found all had significant corrosion on the screws which held the assembly together. It seems the corrosion sets in over time, gradually getting worse until it gets to a stage where water/moisture manages to work its way into the ballast internals thus causing a short and subsequent catastrophic explosive failure.

This may not be a potential issue for you though. The HID's I have on the Cruiser are 6000K 55W H3 Bi Xenon for the headlights and 6000K 55W H1 pencil and spread beams and put out a massive amount of light (lights up approx 1 km ahead when all are on). They're also a few years old now, so maybe technology has improved since then and there's probably better quality control with better seals and materials too.

I have to admit that despite the susceptibility to corrosion of the screws, they haven't missed a beat. I've since remounted the ballasts as high as possible (currently just around air intake level). I have also arrested further corrosion by initial application of WD-40, then boat grease on the screws.

Anyway, HID's are most definitely, unquestioningly the go, until something better comes along. I can't imagine driving at night anymore without HIDs. The standard Presara HID's are ok, though not super bright and are probably 4500 - 5000K. High beam is still standard Halogen (maybe future generations of the Presara will have bi xenons instead? :rolleyes: ). I wonder what wattage are they..................?:g:

They are definitely not 55W that's for sure.

Just my 2c worth.

Cheers,

BB :yahoo:

Edited by Beep Beep

When I retrofitted bixenon HID's to my Landcruiser a coupla years back, I chose to install the ballasts just below the bullbar (for easier access and installation of upgraded wiring harnesses). Unfortunately, HID ballasts don't like being dunked or high pressure sprayed from driving through puddles or wet roads. Things to watch out for specifically are the screws holding the HID ballast assembly together. These are usually made of non corrosion resistant metal, and are the first to go. After a while, water seepage occurs, and ultimately shorts the ballast out.

Notice the badly applied silicone all around my ballasts? Goes to show I can't even trust them where they are. Also helps with reducing rattling and vibration.

Notice the badly applied silicone all around my ballasts? Goes to show I can't even trust them where they are. Also helps with reducing rattling and vibration.

I did toy with the idea of completely encasing the ballasts in silicone, but wasn't sure if they needed to "breathe". Come to think of it, they probably don't because there aren't any vent holes in an HID Ballast anyway. I was also unsure if the silicone would hold up to repeated heating/cooling cycles in all sorts of weather.

DJKOR, have you had to re-apply the silicone since you first put it on? Any issues with the silicone perishing?

I have to admit I like the idea of basically putting the ballasts into a customised mould and fill it with silicone. Once cured there's no chance of any water ingress, ever! An over engineered solution? You betcha! :spiteful:

BB

DJKOR, have you had to re-apply the silicone since you first put it on? Any issues with the silicone perishing?

Nup. Selley's bathroom silicone FTW! Though you could use that black automotive gasket silicone if you really wanted to though. That stuff definitely won't be going anywhere any time soon.

Wha? really. No "C'mon d1ckhe@d moooooove" flash? Or "Yes Clown you can go first" flash or "nice @ss want a ride flash" ?

Just jokes :P I could not live without my HB flashers.... it seams the way to communicate with other drivers.

I just did 7k drive to the top end and if i had to wait for my H'B's to come on everytime i dipped em to pass oncomming traffic at night it woulda drove me nuts. NOT to mention the bloody pot holes....again.

Thanks for the quick answer to the quick question!.

Is it like in Europe that you must have automatic regulation in order to be able to install "legal" hids? I mean, can they give you a ticket for installing aftermarkef hids?

Cheers

AB

Edited by Hikaru Sorano

Thanks for the quick answer to the quick question!.

Is it like in Europe that you must have automatic regulation in order to be able to install "legal" hids? I mean, can they give you a ticket for installing aftermarkef hids?

Cheers

AB

ADR regulations also require you to have a headlight lens washer system installed too, if you're fitting aftermarket HIDs.

Presaras have AFS (Automatic Frontlight System) which does auto level, and swivels the beam to see around corners as you turn. They also have headlight wash jets to blast off any muck/bugs etc.

As for getting a ticket, in WA, it really depends on luck. You might get a copper who hasn't written up his quota of tickets. Not too sure about other States though. I heard the Eastern States really clamp down on these things.

Edited by Beep Beep

Hmm I do find this topic interesting.

Last saturday night I drove thru Wellard and it was so dark and very under lighted areas. I had to turn on my foggies AND high beam in order to see where I was going! I ended up getting lost at 1st cos of bad directions by the hostess of the dinner party I went to last saturday night. Turns out I made a wrong turn off freeway onto mortimer rd and it only took a quick glance at the map book to figure out it was the other way I needed to go. And yes I still used the foggies and high beam to get to the right area. Finally I got into the correct suburb and it was lighted a bit but still under lighted so I turned off the high beam but my lights for some reason wasn't bright enough in the area. So I am already thinking of having HID put in my car and converting parker to leds. 2 questions:

I am unsure if foggies have to be HID or just leds?

Can a Presara headlight complete with HID kit fit into Aurion Touring?

Hmm I do find this topic interesting.

Last saturday night I drove thru Wellard and it was so dark and very under lighted areas. I had to turn on my foggies AND high beam in order to see where I was going! I ended up getting lost at 1st cos of bad directions by the hostess of the dinner party I went to last saturday night. Turns out I made a wrong turn off freeway onto mortimer rd and it only took a quick glance at the map book to figure out it was the other way I needed to go. And yes I still used the foggies and high beam to get to the right area. Finally I got into the correct suburb and it was lighted a bit but still under lighted so I turned off the high beam but my lights for some reason wasn't bright enough in the area. So I am already thinking of having HID put in my car and converting parker to leds. 2 questions:

I am unsure if foggies have to be HID or just leds?

Can a Presara headlight complete with HID kit fit into Aurion Touring?

Don't use HIDs for fog lights unless you want to blind everyone in front of you. If you really must get HIDs then get 3000k

Yes the Presara headlight will fit in a Touring because they both have the same shape. Do you intend to get the front bumper for the washers and suspension for the auto leveling as well?

The coppers in WA don't really give a sheet about HID's only when you go over the pits they care lol.

& This is where my ballast's are located on top of the chassis under the black wiring harness.

They are behind the headlight assembly and are high enough that they shouldn't get wet, they don't rattle as i bedded them on some double sided tape but even with out the tape the screws held it in place snug !

post-21214-0-00602700-1306226533_thumb.j

I'll re do some more photo's for high beam in the coming weeks and do a run through on those because at my last glance at the back of the headlight assembly i have to do a little more modding to the headlight assembly for the wiring to protrude out....:P

& This is where my ballast's are located on top of the chassis under the black wiring harness.

They are behind the headlight assembly and are high enough that they shouldn't get wet, they don't rattle as i bedded them on some double sided tape but even with out the tape the screws held it in place snug !

A helpful tip here. You can actually mount the ballasts there without removing the bumper. A self-drilling hex head metal screw and a extension piece for a power drill is all you need. This is how I did it when I fitted the HID's to Ash's (SecaBoy) TRD.

Yea but i needed the XP on doing the bumper removal lol.... plus i wasn't sure on the best location on fitting. + also was alot easyer having the room to be able to move - my hands aint exactly small !:whistling:

Yea but i needed the XP on doing the bumper removal lol.... plus i wasn't sure on the best location on fitting. + also was alot easyer having the room to be able to move - my hands aint exactly small !:whistling:

True. Just saying so that others can embark on the journey. Plus what can I say. I have a knack for getting my hands in tight places.