Big problem..

Kenpo

Alright, so my torque converter and abs module are apparently f*cked.

The engine, traction control and the VSC lights on the dash are on, and have been for about 4 weeks now. At one point I would try to reverse and the car would just be like it was in neutral, meaning it wouldn't reverse. Also just last week when braking at very low speeds (0-20km/h) the abs would just kick in and try to stop the car.

A mate and I managed to reset the ECU through the ignition switch and all the lights went off, and the car was like brand new... For about 3 hours.

Just last night a mechanic had a look at it and put some machine in and saw all these electrical problems or faults? Anyway, he ended up resetting all of what he found and the car was like new once again, till today.

Anybody have any serious advice on what I could possibly do? Really lost right now..

Instead of just resetting the ECU and calling it a day, it would be extremely wise to take note of every code that is returned from scanning the ECU. Some may be caused by others coming on, but within it all, the root cause may be there. If not, at least you can troubleshoot it better rather than just resetting an error with no other action.

Unfortunately torque converters aren't cheap and they dont fix themselves, it'll just get progressively worse. And to fix it you have to take to box out which means $$$$.

What are the exact codes that it is pulling? If you want to do the "just reset" solution, if you have an iphone, just get the code reader pack on ebay and keep resetting it. But there will be a day where it wont work or other things will be taken out as well.

what years your aurion? i maybe able to pull out the codes with my tool if u come to the meet tonight

Any OBDII code reader should be able to read the Aurion. It follows the standard protocols.

It's an 08'. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to read what the exact errors were. The mechanic was just explaining to me what he saw and said it was fixed.

Would it be possible if I just took a torque converter out of an Aurion in a car yard? A few mechanics I know are family, so the labour part of the price would be almost nothing.

Wasn't too sure about coming tonight cause of the condition of the car, but if you can check/scan it yourself then I'll be there for sure.

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it! :)

It's an 08'. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to read what the exact errors were. The mechanic was just explaining to me what he saw and said it was fixed.

Would it be possible if I just took a torque converter out of an Aurion in a car yard? A few mechanics I know are family, so the labour part of the price would be almost nothing.

It my not even be the torque converter. It could simply be a solenoid or sensor that is causing it to spew errors and give you issues. This is why it's important to read the codes and troubleshoot from there. The fact that it went away when the ECU was reset would make me think that there ma not be a huge mechanical issue with it, but that's just a guess.

It my not even be the torque converter. It could simply be a solenoid or sensor that is causing it to spew errors and give you issues. This is why it's important to read the codes and troubleshoot from there. The fact that it went away when the ECU was reset would make me think that there ma not be a huge mechanical issue with it, but that's just a guess.

Well, I drove the car so carefully after the reset like it was like I was driving on eggs.. the first 5min drive was fine. Then a 15min drive home was also fine. Next day I drive another 15min~ still fine. Then the drive after that, about 1min in, the lights went back on again.

I will be seeing that same mechanic on Monday night again for him to have another look at it, and hopefully tonight they boys at the meet might be able to help me out ;)

It doesn't sound like a torque converter issue. The torque converter transmits drive from the flywheel/flex plate to the transmission's input shaft. If it was having issues it would not transmit drive at all. Not just reverse. It kind of sound like your ECU may be on the blink if its having an ABS fault simultaneously with a transmission fault.

Sounds a bit familiar to mine but I ended up getting a new box and converter. dont drive with it the way it is or you may cause more damage and its not cheap :(

Sounds a bit familiar to mine but I ended up getting a new box and converter. dont drive with it the way it is or you may cause more damage and its not cheap :(

Oooh that's not good news :|