Cease Production of Corolla Sportivo

I dont want to start a war but our corolla sportivo is no way a sports car....it doesent match any of the definitions of a true sports car. Without a CELICA or MRS the sports range is gone. The corolla is just a fast runabout in my opinion but doesent handle and is not classified as a sports car.

What determines the "Sportiness" of a car is the heart -> the engine/chassis. The Celica and Corolla Sportivo feels sporty and can be considered "Sports" because it has a "heart" that revs to 8200rpm and produces more than 100bhp per liter displacemet, matching to a 6 speed close ratio gearbox. Suspension is a let down i must say but at least it can be improved (not like the DC5 TypeR and TypeS, you spend money on suspension to get worse handling). The MR-S has a nice chassis being mid-engined rwd but the engine is a let down for such a highly capable chassis and selling it at that price you expect more.

If you say looks determine whether a car is a "Sports" car or not, then you are a hairdresser and should go buy a hairdresser's car (no offense). ;)

Z

you do relise that the silycr the mr2 and rolla use the same chasis don't you????

As far as i know the MRS has the tightest/stiffest chassis (drivers' viewpoint).. not to mention the better suspension setup and MR drivetrain, it can sure handle more power eg. a 2zzge engine/transmission swap.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey All

I just spoke to my Toyota dealer about the cease in production of the sportivo, and he made it very clear that they are only stopping production in South Africa (because of cost issues with freight).

They are going to run out the remaining face lifted models and begin production of the new '06 sportivo in Japan. expect it to land here Mid-late next year. :D

As if they were going to drop such an affordable popular car.

Slurdog B)

Hmm 2006 Japan Built Sportivo...

My car will be out of warranty in 2006...

Maybe a planned update for next year, my wheels and suspension would go nicely on a new one :D I wonder what sort of change over I can get on mine?

Hmmmm, 2006, I doubt if I will buy another Stivo unless they bring out a convertible. If they have not done so by late 2007 Im sorry guys but im going to have to sell Sammy and buy a convertible Mini Cooper S :). It looks like we will be moving to QLD at this time so we want a convertible :).

Edited by Blade Hunter

I can be wrong here, but I am not sure. I had been with Toyota for a while now, the average life cycle for a car in Toyota is 5 years. And next year 2006 I think it is also end of era for current Corolla. I also heard the rumours in Toyota, they already planned the new Corolla in late 2006 or definately in 2007. So re-introduce the Corolla sportivo in Mid or Late next year isn't look possible. And re-release the sportivo too close to the new model isn't a good move, that will make the sportivo is hard to sell as well. And Toyota Australia always said SPORT CARS are not their main concentration, because the life cycle is too short. Even if they re-introduce the Sportivo overseas, we might able to see it in Australia.

Hmmmm a mid yr 06 CorollaSportivo release.

Now thats interesting, new engine, body shape and interior??

Makes me want to hold onto buying a new 05 Sportivo. If we could only see some sort of prototype. Or unless its just the current Corolla look in japan that will be imported here, pretty much the same anyway then.

But hey, if Toyota will be eager to sell off the Sportivo, then i may end up grabbing a bargain at the end of the year when im looking to get one ^.^

Hmmmm, 2006, I doubt if I will buy another Stivo unless they bring out a convertible. If they have not done so by late 2007 Im sorry guys but im going to have to sell Sammy and buy a convertible Mini Cooper S :). It looks like we will be moving to QLD at this time so we want a convertible :).

Moving to QLD AND buying a convertible? We have one word for you:

SUNBURN! B)

Hehehe not for me mate, im half Indian, my Fiance may suffer a little at first though but im sure she will get used to it ;)

Moving to QLD AND buying a convertible? We have one word for you:

SUNBURN! B)

I spoke to my dealer today, and was told that the last shipment came into Aus in July - no more will land on our shore...

So, I went out and got the last (new) blue one in the country - updating from my 03 to an 05 in about 2 weeks time...

The only thing that bewilders me, though, is that Toyota have not made an announcement to this effect as yet.

They're usually quick to announce such things, like they did with Daihatsu.

I spoke to my dealer today, and was told that the last shipment came into Aus in July - no more will land on our shore...

So, I went out and got the last (new) blue one in the country - updating from my 03 to an 05 in about 2 weeks time...

Are you freaking serious?! ****, i wonder how much they shipped over here.

Im planning to get mine in about October/November, so i hope they don't run out or anything by then.