Starting Issues

METAL13

2005 Toyota Camry Altise Limited.

When we start the car either hot or cold, 99% of the time it takes 2-3 attempts for the car to actually fire.

We have replaced the spark plugs (all 4), I've checked the air lines, Filters and all obvious connections.

The local Dealership serviced it not long ago with the issue stated to them and they couldn't figure it out....

Has anyone had the same issue if so whats a fix or better yet any ideas on where to start looking haha?

(car hasn't been thrashed, mum drives it so it gets slow short runs daily and occasionally the long run every week)

Thanks, Steele.:unsure:

Check the battery voltage. How old is the battery?

Battery is brand new from Toyota parts.

The car turns over but it will turn over for 3-5 seconds and fail to fire, then it will turn over for 3-5 seconds and then fire on second attempt. Its like the car isn't sparking or isn't getting fuel into it :\

Check the battery voltage. How old is the battery?

Battery is brand new from Toyota parts.

The car turns over but it will turn over for 3-5 seconds and fail to fire, then it will turn over for 3-5 seconds and then fire on second attempt. Its like the car isn't sparking or isn't getting fuel into it :\

Hi mate when you start the engine does it run for few second? then dead or you just cant start up ? if you are in the first one you will clena your intake end( control valve clean) with some cleaner you can buy from supercheap ! here it is the link for the youtube

it maybe help you out ! :lol:

No i just keeps turning over no fire.

Stop

turn key again turns over few seconds and then Fires and remains running. ill try get a short vid of it doing it over the next day or so.

Just out of curiosity, what engine oil are you using?

Unsure of brand, but what ever the Dealership gets in i suppose, we don't request anything different as we have never had a problem with any vehicles being serviced there. We have the family cars serviced there and they are 2000 Camry, 2004 Corolla, 2005 Camry, 2009 Aurion :blink:

• 3 months later...

Just out of curiosity, what engine oil are you using?

Unsure of brand, but what ever the Dealership gets in i suppose, we don't request anything different as we have never had a problem with any vehicles being serviced there. We have the family cars serviced there and they are 2000 Camry, 2004 Corolla, 2005 Camry, 2009 Aurion :blink:

Just wondering if you resolved your problem?

I have just gone through some major fault finding issues and now I have the same problem, mostly

on cold start but even throughout the day sometimes. Plenty of battery power, just won't fire.

Cheers

Have you checked fuel pressure after it's been sitting for a while? Then check the pressure when 1st attempting ro start compare it with the 2nd attempt to start. - which could indicate a dodgy spring for the return line..

Have you checked injector pulse with a noid light?

Is the ecu getting the basic 5 signals?

Edited by Cbr600

Have you checked fuel pressure after it's been sitting for a while? Then check the pressure when 1st attempting ro start compare it with the 2nd attempt to start. - which could indicate a dodgy spring for the return line..

Have you checked injector pulse with a noid light?

Is the ecu getting the basic 5 signals?

Heh...ok 3 things I have no way of checking.

Can you expound on say checking the spring for the return line?

Thanks!

Injector pulse can be checked using a screwdriver as a stethoscope. Does the car have any issues at all running, ie sluggish, heavy fuel usage, excess fuel smell in the exhaust vapour, etc.?

U need a fuel pressure gauge to check the spring ....

And the link provides details for some snap on tools .

If your not in the trade or don't use it all the time wouldn't bother think I paid around the 550 mark per tension wrench I've got 3 snap on branded a about 250 for a w&b 1/4d tension wrench...

Edited by Cbr600

Injector pulse can be checked using a screwdriver as a stethoscope. Does the car have any issues at all running, ie sluggish, heavy fuel usage, excess fuel smell in the exhaust vapour, etc.?

The car did have a huge issue with econmy and it ended up being the EGR valve.

The starting problem seems to be getting worse. My gut feeling sais its not electrical.

I might toss in some injector cleaner tomorrow and see how it goes...

That is Correct you can use a screw driver to see if theinjecting is making noise, however if it is not working you have have to check for the signal going to the injector, so your really answering the question only Adding more questions to the initial question.

Edited by Cbr600