My Chaser. Sold.

dorifto

Took the car in to get tuned at Chequered/Status Tuning; a very common name amongst the JZX Vic guys having tuned many 1J's so I knew I was in good hands. Results below; apologies for the pics as I don't have a scanner

saxl5y.jpg

Gained 34rw Nm of Torque and 20rwkw. Low end is very much similar but picks up at 3000rpm when full boost arrives and continues until redline

qntiqo.jpg

To play it safe, boost now sits at a tad under 13psi. Full boost by 3000rpm is Awesome but tapers slightly. Towards the end of the tune, the spark plugs were starting to pack their bags..

2n1ryoo.jpg

..but AFR's have been stabilised slightly

How does the car feel? Vastly different! The pick up at 3000rpm is phenomenal! It doesn't produce a heap of power which is fine, I was after response and safe AFR's really so it's paid of well. A few issues encountered on the way however. A) The SAFC's throttle input feeds of the ECTS input so disconnecting the plug would foul throttle readings. Tune was completed with ECTS button turned off instead. B) AEM boost solenoid was cactus; would not respond to increased boost settings so a Turbosmart one replaced it and C) OEM spec NGK plugs began to missfire so they will be replaced with one's in the next heat range along with Eagle spark plugs

Yeah I'll come. Was it Sept 16th? I'll hitch a ride with you. :P This time, I'll set up the GoPro properly with Spot Meter setting. Now we can see you raging through your rear mirror hahaha.

200kw is good power :) had that in my R33 when I had it. It made more power before I got it tuned, but it never felt like a smooth delivery until I took it into Rajab

Hopefully notice an increase in economy too with any luck

• 2 weeks later...

Essentially yeh pretty much Justin. Read below

Ok so track day is this coming weekend

Spent the last week fitting QFM HP-X pads in the rear and new Remsa in the fronts. Also flushed out the brake fluid with Penrite Sin with the help of adam (thanks champ!). Then the weekend came 'round and decided I had enough of matt black and changed the colour of the wheels.

256107_439773576060964_1934129961_o.jpg

Then that led to another thing so I re-finished my calipers with some paint as it had a few stone chips/marks from pad installation. The TOM'S decals were destroyed while fitting the pads as well, so... replacement TOM'S one went in as well lol Now the brakes feel awesome! Initial feel and bite has increased noticeably with the only draw-back being it gets fairly dusty but no complaints. Paint turned out better than expected for one can! Had just enough for two coats :D

Hurry up week-end, where you at!

Bad news: Peter no longer going

Good news: His allowed me to borrow GoPro

Now need to pull a '39 to make it worth his while 'cause his going to the snow on the same weekend. One more week!

I'm expecting a msg from you being over the moon on the weekend! ;)

Well, what an awesome weekend!

Ok so I didn't exactly PB which I was hoping to but there's always a next time! (Attending EXE Winton Day in 4 weeks) As best I tried, I couldn't get close to my 1.41.1xx time set previously - by the end of Session 3 I lapped a best of 1.41.8770 for the day and no matter how hard I pushed or tried, I couldn't get much closer. Regardless, the car went well and it was good to be on track with a great bunch of friends :D

Couple of pics I could find..

2zqvlts.jpg

dcugpg.jpg

What I fought with most of day

..I'll be back, in four weeks lol

5cbrxx.jpg

And finally a video. Starts around the 1.30 mark. Didn't edit it cause I don't have a program to so it's as-is from the GoPro :P

First time going to Winton and not coming home with a pb which was abit dis-heartening but it was bound to happen! With abit over a month to go for the next Winton Day, the next plan of attack is send the car on a diet. So a day after racing, Alister went and collected my new race wheels (the other pair will come)..

1zmm1ah.jpg

..and so it begins! Again..

Edited by dorifto

From what I could see, it seems like those sway bars are making it a bit more twitchy and slidey....

What are your thoughts on going back to stock sway bars and going with (a whole lot) stiffer springs? Maybe put some polyurethane bushes through the old sways. Should make the car feel more planted and reduce that boat-like body roll...

Wheels look good, I like bronze on your car... are they much lighter?

Edited by 4ABHGE

watching this video compared with Justin AE82 one, make me feel AE82 is quite sharp and quick in corners, the weight and the power of the chaser make you a bit harder to push...

what is your mistake of not getting a pb?unfortunately, you cannot compare with last time video..

I compare my videos to find my mistake..

Just my feeling, the first sharp right turn after the long sweeper can go wider I think

From what I could see, it seems like those sway bars are making it a bit more twitchy and slidey....

What are your thoughts on going back to stock sway bars and going with (a whole lot) stiffer springs? Maybe put some polyurethane bushes through the old sways. Should make the car feel more planted and reduce that boat-like body roll...

Wheels look good, I like bronze on your car... are they much lighter?

They weigh lighter than my tom's! Just about 6.5kg each

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update!

When the car was purchased, the OEM mirrors were flaking around the base which proved to be a common problem amongst Chasers'. Undeterred I focused on other areas of the car until the exterior was more or less completed, only then did the mirrors start to stick out if you looked at the car more carefully. Anyway, scored some genuine Ganador Super Mirrors at a good price and had it painted up through work. Then went and took some hard parking photos lol

11j9ag1.jpg

Also resrprayed the wheels with gloss black but lacking the clear coat. Far better than the matt finish but the current pads are dusty as Sh!t

5xssao.jpg

I always felt the rears sat a smidgen lower so out came the tools and C spanners and down the front came a massive 5mm :P I scrape enough and the Super Streets aren't exactly stiff so it'll have to remain for now :(

1sgmzb.jpg

..random interior night shot. Just need a disco ball!

30db9lz.jpg

Sold the previous semi slicks and purchased some replacement ones. With track day next weekend, I'm hoping to improve (break into the 30's) from the last couple of times. Still need a pair of wheels and with only a week left, times running out but.. we'll get there!

• 2 weeks later...

So, another Winton day done and dusted!

Was well organised and planned by the EXE Crew as always and couldn't have asked for better weather or company! Previous pb was 1.40.1170 set on 235/40/R18 Dunlop Direzza D03G's (Soft) which was then sold to a mate so he could pb. This time 'round I was using medium compound 245/40/R18 Kumho V710 tyres that were much older in comparison ('09 v '12) but knew they were good tyres if kept well and they had. Anyway, that was the main changes from the car and the sector times are as follows:

Session 1: (Passenger)

2:27.8390

1:50.3610

1:42.9400

1:44.6460

1:42.3760

2:17.6410

Let a mate ride shot gun as first Session was used to gauge how the tyres felt and initial impressions were good! Mid cornering grip was sweet but was scrubbing heaps at the front and after a few laps, car began understeering from excess pressure. Thought I may have cracked a '43 and was happy to find out I managed '42.3 - dropped tyre pressure all 'round and game on for Round 2!

Session 2:

1:57.1670

1:41.5750

1:42.3510

1:40.8720***

1:41.1910

1:41.4780

After a couple of warm up laps and setting the car for a clear run; it was hammer time! Car had never felt better through the apexes before and even though I was understeering still, she still managed to turn in and hold the cornering speeds. '40.8? Hell yeh! But still not quite a 30 something that I really wanted. Down went the tyre pressure again

Session 3:

1:54.3970

1:40.8660

1:42.6290

1:40.7390

1:43.0050

1:40.4170

At this point, Adam (white JZX100) was struggling to put down a solid time so we agreed for him to go out first and I would hunt him in the latter stages of the Session for a battle. And battle be had! 'Should note that his car did have a few gremlins preventing him from putting down better times but regardless it's a good effort nonetheless. After a cool down lap, I went for a last flying lap which then saw a '40.4! So closssse! You can watch the battle below:

Session 4: (Passenger)

1:49.5430

1:42.6420

1:43.6100

1:42.5040

1:43.1500

Decided to take my brother out as he only ventures to Winton only when/if the JZX crew are in attendance. He mentioned something about 'fast' and 'grippy' and 'good brakes' - interesting to see the forces on your passenger when you're strapped down in a fixed back seat and they're holding on hahaha

By this stage, I had refuelled the last of my petrol. There was only going to be 3 solid laps in it left before the tyres would go off so out I went, again...

Session 5:

2:01.1200

1:42.2260

1:40.2840

1:40.9450

2:07.2810

That 30 bracket is an illusive m***rfuc**r! I knew I had scraped together a solid lap but upon returning to the pits; the guys had told me it was close but no dice! Regardless; 5 full Sessions, a pb and driving the car home? Definitely couldn't complain with that!

Next one is in early November so might just enter that and see if I can go 30's from working a slightly different line in 2 corners. Will be going with a few friends and have a group organised but.. anyone wanna join? (I may have 2 free spots) :P

Edited by dorifto