My Chaser. Sold.

dorifto

SKIDZZZ!!! haha The car is looking real nice... especially sideways ;) Awesome couple of pics.

Dude if thats Alister in the passenger seat youre gonna need to cut a hole in the roof if i want to sit in there... i thought these cars were big :P

Thanks Justin, good seeing you yesterday dude :)

460846_335281539863248_2023179822_o.jpg

Bidded on an AEM boost gauge/controller with no intentions of winning.... but I did lol. Had it fitted today but still calibrating the waste-gate spring pressure and LED gauge but so far, so good - it hammers! Probably will keep it at 13psi to play it somewhat safe. SAFC is booked in to get wired up next Sunday, hopefully have it 'tuned' soon after. OEM spec O2 sensor is en-route from the 'States and fitted my alloy radiator with the help of Adam last week (thanks buddddy!)

Have been invited to EXE private track day so looking at tyres of some sort (right now it just comes down to sizes/pricing really). Cmonnnn 1.45's!

• 2 weeks later...

So last post I was looking for some tyres....

..so here they are!

463564_365289473509375_100000849761867_953188_957250321_o.jpg

(Sorry for the size/quality!)

They are Dunlop Direzza DZ03G's in Soft Compound. Used once and made last year, I'm hoping to go sub 1.45 around Winton with them (current PB is 1.46.3xx with the Chaser). Decided not to muck around like 2nd track day where I went in with no new mods and managed to PB still from improving lines/technique. This time, will be upping the game - more power and semi's so really hoping to reel in the faster Chaser's there. End of year, I'll be looking at improving the suspension as I've only got Tein Super Streets and a TRD front strut brace, yep still on stock sway bars!

So if the Corolla can go 11secs quicker, lets see if I can get the big Toyota into the 30's...

Will update soon

Nice!! reminds me of things in my garage at the moment :ninja:

Thanks to the deca day practicing and then add these tyres and youll be sweet for a 1:43 easy! ;) Good luck mate!

Edited by 4ABHGE

• 1 month later...

Been awhile since I updated since there's little interest but anyway..

I decided to replace the O2 sensor to see if the car would run any better or improve mileage (lol) as the standard one was looking slightly tiresome. Mileage hasn't varied by much but the car is smoother and idles relatively quieter now. Abit of a headache to fit as it wasn't a straight-fit but we got there eventually!

2jacn7a.jpg

In the meantime I was collecting parts as they were cheap when I stumbled across them. Had it fitted recently, apologies for the poor photo quality

29zpm3q.jpg

It includes an an AEM boost controller and matching water temp gauge, Ecliptech progressive shift light mounted on the steering column and an Apex'i SAFC Black Edition sitting under the head-unit. The plan was to get the car tuned prior to a track day coming up this weekend but work has been epic so that will have to come later. Still running stock boost and quite happy with it to be honest. Not pictured is an alloy radiator fitted some time back just for peace of mind come track day.

Eventually the law literally caught up to me...

33zd37o.jpg

I spotted a Divvy van stalking me for about 2k's as the partner ran a registration check. Not long later I was pulled over for an RBT; low-and-behold, Senior Sargent started asking about the car; the seat, gauges ect.. I was expecting a yellow canary when he was doing a walk around of the car and inspecting tyres/height/wheels when he stopped and we had a brief conversation:

Officer: "What's with them numbers on the windscreen?"

Me: "Try and keep things legal by taking it to the track sir"

Officer: "Oh right.. nice car, I like what you've done..."

Me: "Thanks!"

Gives me back license

Officer: "Take it easy and drive safe"

(I have race numbers on from previous Deca/Track days - I'm too lazy to use mineral turps to get it off lol)

Anyway, by now track day was coming up fast and I had an urge to change my diff and transmission fluid as they had seen 2 track days and 2 skid-pan days since ownership - with no recollection of the last time since flush :o

5pwn7.jpg

Got some Toyota Gear Oil for the diff, Royal Purple for the trans and Penrite for the brakes. All the fluids changed were a horrid sh.it-brown colour as expected. Was awesome with new transmission fluid! Brakes caused a few head scratching as I was losing an epic amount from a leak somewhere we couldn't find. The test drive eventually proved otherwise and the pedal is firm on touch and brutal when buried. Rear pads never made it in as I lost my patience but still love Supra brakes ♥

2yv2lud.jpg

So that leaves us where we are. Current PB around Winton is 1.46.3. Hoping for somewhere around the '44 mark now armed with semi's, slightly more go and done a couple of Skid-pan days to learn the car more. Will getting tyres swapped over tomorrow and a full alignment during work then heading off for another 'Winton Weekend' of awesome :D

Dude i'm always interested in your updates!

Any plans to get another set of rims for the semis? and if not why? You're wheel whoring days behind you now? j/k lol

Good to see you're still getting tracktime, skill and experience always trumps mods I reckon.

It's ironic how [R]andomreath[T]ests are often not random at all hey Trung?

Almost every time I get stopped the Constables tell me they like my wheels lol :ninja:

At this stage Dave, I'm leaning on just keeping the CR-Kai's. As heavy as they are, they do an O.K job of making the car look alright (I'll powdercoat it down the track) and are sturdy enough to take the abuse of track days. With the Chaser, I can't buy any set of wheels I like, now having Supra brakes at the front it's quite a selective process as the calipers are sizable so offset and spoke design is everything. You're right about track time, I'll get onto this point as I progress through this post with an update on my epic Winton Weekend

As you you've probably read; This weekend was hosted by the EXE Crew at Winton Raceway - you could call it their bi-annual event which held every year around the same time. The only difference was it was held over two days instead of one as the demand and popularity of EXE Winton days was overwhelming. Saturday, Day 1 was based on an 'Invite's Only' structure; meaning those who have supported EXE in the past or are good friends with people in the Crew were invited. Sunday was open to both ;Invites Only' people and also the general public, however the 'Invites Only' had first pic. Anyway, to cut a long story short; I was one of the lucky ones to make it into Saturday and opted for just 1 day as I'm getting old and wrinkly as you know :P Ok down to the business side.. (Keep in mind my previous time was 1.46.3350)

Session 1: Passenger Laps

1:52.6590

1:48.0700

1:45.4690 **PB

1:46.9270

2:21.6850

Took my younger cousin out as he wanted to see what it was like. Decided to give it some stick to see how the car, alignment and tyres was fairing. Was looking very positive with an early PB on track that was still heating up. Adjusted tire pressure and ready for Session 2.

Session 2:

1:52.7270

1:42.6480 **PB

1:43.0680

1:52.7540

2:06.9940

2:09.9700

BAM!! Car felt spot-on! 1st flying lap and I set myself up for a clean run; still slightly twitchy but very good cornering speeds throughout to be had. Soft compound was great! Came back in and was informed of my time, simply could NOT believe it!

Session 3:

2:09.7390

1:43.0890

1:41.7780 **PB

1:42.4730

2:09.9030

1:41.8220

To be honest, I didn't quite rate this session. Even though there was a '41 in it, my driving was really sloppy. The sun had come out to play and the tyre pressure was too high still. I'm very good at adjusting my driving style yes, but it frustrates me at times how lazy I can be - it always happen mid way through a track day and I don't adjust pressures. Nonetheless I was still stunned I hit 41!

Session 4:

1:47.5120

1:44.3790

1:42.4140

1:42.7690

1:43.2240

2:18.5300

Peter (dwee) had come along for the day with Alister to do all the photography and media coverage so as a gesture I took him out for a session for him to experience what it was like with me at the helm. I think he liked it :P By now I wasn't going to do any more sessions as I was more than happy with a '41.7 time but the guys reckoned there was a PB still..

..so I went out

Session 5

1:58.0890

1:42.1870

1:41.1820

1:51.2360

1:42.5660

Wiped another 0.5 seconds off! UNBELIEVABLE results! The car was just superb really, I'm actually quite happy I gave the tyre shop my own custom alignment settings this time as it's really proven it's worth!

So essentially I took off 5.2 seconds of my previous PB and demolished all expectations of hoping for a '43 :o In doing that, I managed to pip both the fastest street-registered Chasers' which are going 1.42.1xxx. The funny thing is really, I'm still on standard sway bars and have no extra bracing other than a front TRD tower brace haha The other guys all have aftermarket/adjustable arms/sways/bars/bushes and LSD's. I think a big contributor was the Deca days; where I used to spin out a handful of times, I spun only once and now know what it's more capable off. Car control > mods baby!

Thanks goes to Alister and Duy, will have photos and pics ect soon.

Picsoritdidnthappen.... and vids would be nice too! :P

Thats just bloody grouse time you got there Trung!!

Also, thanks to you blokes im itching till the holidays so i can smash my old time! ;) haha

Edited by 4ABHGE

As requested, here's the video of my fastest session. Sorry for the average quality/contrast - the GoPro belongs to dwee and he only recently acquired it so wasn't 100% on the settings.

And a coupla' pics

458855_10150865863021158_580711157_9719031_976694044_o.jpg

Please use some software to adjust the contrast the video (if possible) youtube got a contrasting thing..

I know it is because of the new camera, but try !!!

Your car is fast, what is your maximum straight line speed in Winton, mine is just over 150 on the speedometer just before the S bend..

Good to see you

Comparing it to the first time you went out to winton your driving style has changed a fair bit! looks like you know the car alot better now. Silky smooth driving man!

And damn that thing has alot of body roll! :P

Edited by 4ABHGE

Unfortunately Ben, you can't do much to fix the video when it's shot way overexposed! You can adjust the exposure and brightness of the video but it ends up looking not right. :( I didn't know about the GoPro's "Spot Meter" settings; Out of my own interest, I tried with it on and works like a treat.. :lol:

7326901984_c5135c6610_c.jpg

IMG_1600 by dwee., on Flickr

Thanks Justin :) My first trip to Winton saw numerous off-track excursions from a combo of pushing abit hard and not knowing the control/consequences of the car. The two skidpan days helped alot with that I must say! Next up will be a few handling mods to combat the body-roll so we'll see if I can dip below 1.40 - after that, 1.35. Just kidding!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I decided to work on the sway bars.

547252_406647842706871_823669554_n.jpg

Both items are Cusco's with my brother managing to get the front one first from a friends' car. I was actually quite reluctant but couldn't say no at the price. It hung from my bunk bed for a fair few weeks as I decided to purchase a KTS rear sway once I had returned from my holiday to the 'States. As luck would have it, a mate linked me to a Cusco rear sway he found locally and within an hour we went to pick it up - needless to say, I was a pretty happy boy!

Luckily, the install went faultlessly. I've heard/seen horror stories of snow cars making it an absolute b*tch of a job but the cars' relatively clean undercarriage saw little if no rust where the sway bars were and just over an hour later; both were lubed/fitted/tightened and ready for a test drive. Yep, pretty awesome I must say! A whole lot less roll mid corner and very planted all 'round. Yet to test it out in the dry but things are looking promising biggrin.png Japanese Import Spares are currently nil stock of KTS triangle braces but once they've received more then I'll be making the purchase as the car could do with slightly better turn-in feel.

Also managed to service the car. The spark plugs I got from work - they're OEM spec

428482_405920879446234_1566475961_n.jpg

Have new/standard diff bushes that needs to go in as mine are rooted and axle tramps everywhere. While overseas, I purchased an AEM gauge to measure oil temps so that'll be fitted once my gauge pod/holder arrives in the coming week or so. Also replaced my wipers with genuine Toyota/Lexus aero wipers - so much more quieter! Lastly, have inquired about getting the car tuned and boost controller set-up to run 1 bar around mid July.

September will mark 1 years' ownership so I'll be taking it to Winton to try and crack the illusive 1.39 barrier. Time will tell but here's hoping...!