My Chaser. Sold.

dorifto

If its anything like getting in and out of your AE.. then all can say is... damn

Believe it or not, it was actually easier to get out of the Corolla as it was sitting on super low rails - I need only hoist myself up and the ground was right there. In the Chaser, it's slightly awkward as it's not as low and the steering wheel is bigger in diameter so I have to clamber out so to speak. A few people have looked at me oddly... haha

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up Supra 4 pot brakes w/ fitting kit ect about a two weeks after acquiring the car. Only now did I get 'round to doing something about them; instead of fitting it straight out I went about changing the colour as I didn't like/want the 'Supra' text.

2uetv83.jpg

Prior to the primer, I hit it with sandpaper and mineral turps then on went some high temp primer.

dlqbvc.jpg

By this stage I was running out of light so skipped the photos until the end. Going for the 'subtle' look, I opted for gun metal and ordered some custom TOM'S vinyl cut decals. Vinyl cutter reassured that the material could resist heat very well so I'll be testing that out with fury come November 20 track day!

17b7lc.jpg

Brother did a Group Buy on the 100k major service kit on the JZX forums so naturally, I jumped on aboard! It included the timing belt, intake/exhaust cam seals, front main seal, idler bearing, water pump, tensioner ect. The other bits are the fitting kit and pads for the Supra brakes, various belts and a Fumoto oil drain valve.

Still need to purchase/complete a few other things so time is against me; I'll work something out!

what pads are you using on the coming track day on those calipers? and I bet you will run on street tyres for your first run on this car?

Edited by ben yip

Thanks guys! I've painted alot of things before so I cheated a little haha

what pads are you using on the coming track day on those calipers? and I bet you will run on street tyres for your first run on this car?

I might just try out the OEM Supra pads with uprated fluid/rotors. Looking at going with either Motul RBF600 or Penrite SIN fluid with RDA rotors.

Had some free time so got onto the brakes

2up2zk7.jpg

The rotors turned out to be slightly problematic. I had previously requested Supra RZ rotors but the (eBay) supplier sold me standard JZX100 Chaser one's after asking me what car I had. Luckily, he wasn't interstate nor was he local (1hr+ drive away) but he came through with the goods and promptly delivered them at 11pm. They're RDA slotted rotors; because of this I'm not too fussed about eating through rotors as the DBA equivalents would be double or so

t89t2q.jpg

Next day @ 'Simo Garage' - one of the Chaser guys' has a workshop that is used as a meet-up place for all things talking/modding/DIY-ing. Naturally, I ventured there and together with a few guys got into taking out the standard Chaser gear. Admittedly, the standard brakes are surprisingly very good for such a large car. I've never had an issue with ABS and hauling up the 1.5 tonne land barge so it's a credit to Toyota for putting some R&D into it.

2o8rn.jpg

Chasers' 290mm discs Vs Supra's 323mm

2lxdycj.jpg

Caliper with Chaser offset nuts fitted, along with the pads, fitting kit and shims. The face was masked off to prevent damage/scratches during the fitting process

2d0ca2v.jpg

And completed. The front wheels decided not to clear by about 2mm so that was annoying to say the least. 5mm spacers went on and so far so good: I'm not a big fan of wheel spacers altogether so these will have to do for now, until I get longer wheel studs or new wheels. Whichever comes first!

As for the brakes, DAMMMMN! By the time we had finished up, it had started to rain so I was taking it easy around the block and even on partial firmness on the pedal, the Chaser pulls up effortlessly. Currently have Genuine OEM Supra pads fitted and have flushed the system out with Penrite SIN fluid and it seems to work well but I'll just have to wait and see how we go come Sunday at Winton. Tomorrow, the car goes in for its 100k major service next door to my work place. Sweeeeettt

Well, what a weekend it's been!

On the Friday after work, Peter had organised for a go-karting session out in Somerton. To be honest, I was slightly reluctant due to the shi-tty weather but since Duy offered a ride there, I couldn't really say no. Anyway, so met up with some of the Toyota boys and got busy karting in the 3x10minute stints. First round, I was all over the place (skids in the wet can get addictive!). Found myself focusing more in second session to qualify better for the last round. Managed to place 2nd out of 8 guys - behind Peter, the fast *****! Last round came and it was down to the wire; admittedly he's a better driver and I was only lucky to top him after he spun out (woohoo!) Definitely a re-match next time and big thanks to the guys that attended, it was semi-late notice so there ended up being 8 of us

24354bs.jpg

Fastest lap.. by 0.02 of a second :P

Now down to the more serious stuff; EXE track day at Winton Raceway

As you may have read/seen, I'd been busy prepping the car for the Winton day on the weekends, organised by the EXE Crew - one of the best around I'd say. On Saturday afternoon, I met up with at my friends' workshop to drive up in a convoy of 5 cars. Being wet, it made for an interesting drive; even more-so when the R32 GTR in our group started to play up with idle/stalling issues on the high way. Regardless, we got to Benalla safe and sound and had another friend meet us up there later in the evening.

Come race day and we'd packed our gear and headed out early to secure the garages/pits as one of us went and bought (Macca's) breaky for the crew.

23toztt.jpg

Parked next to my friends R34 GTR. Thing has 2x2860 turbos, 18x10.5inch wheels all 'round and is stupid loud compared to my HKS Hi-Power Silent exhaust haha

So onto the racing part:

Session 1: Untimed

Winton Raceway changed the rules and so, passenger runs were only allowed in Session 1 and that's it. For some reason, they decided it would also be untimed but entrants were never told. A fair few guys were annoyed at that to say the least. Nonetheless, Alister rode shotgun with me to see what the fuss was all about :P It had been raining the day prior so the track temp was still down and slightly damp.

Session 2:

2:09.1710 2:18.4640 1:53.6780 1:50.4100* 2:37.3730

Hit my target time of 1.50-1.53 in the first timed session so I was pretty happy with that! Huge learning curve coming from a Corolla with power to rival a lawn mower that's for sure! Simply put; cars' alot heavier, car has immense torque in 2nd gear, braking is PHENOMINAL with the brake upgrade and plenty of skids were had.

Session 3:

1:56.0230 2:04.9800 1:49.7630 1:49.2100 10 1:49.0720* 2:41.9130

Adjusted tyre pressures and noticed that the car was 'twitchier' but had more grip almost everywhere: braking/cornering ect. Started to put mental notes of braking points with cars'/drivers' ability and reeled out a few '49's with a new PB going 1.49 flat. Very happy man I was! Sun had come out by now and the track was dry for the most part

Session 4

2:00.3950 1:55.8790 1:50.4320 1:48.1460* 1:49.5170 2:35.4180

Went back into town to refuel - man this thing is thirsty! Got back and did no changes, went out and just tried to adapt to the car and track. By now, track was warm so I hammered where I could. I noticed I hit approx. 120k's in the sweeper section - roughly 7-10's less than the Corolla which suprised me as the car doesn't have much in terms of handling. Only managed 1 good lap and that again was a new PB, I was absolutely stunned to say the least!

Session 5

1:59.2930 1:48.5670 1:49.5200 2:28.0800

Missed the first two laps as I was caught up but still went out anyway. Tried piecing together another PB but could not substantiate. In one of the last few laps, I lost control at the notorious 'S Bend'. The car kicked out, countered, swung the other way, countered again, swung.. again then managed to correct her from going into the concrete barrier. My friend previously destroyed his 180sx there.

zwdwl0.jpg

Perhaps one of the best mods. No lie; if I nail the pedal hard enough I actually slide forwards and out of my seat hahah!

Oh yeh, here's a video of me going 1.49.0720

Bed time yo!

Is it Falken Azenis semis?

Why you lost control in the S in the last session? That S corner is really ****ty, no idea why they put the hut there...

do you think your AE92 handles better on this track, because it has less weight, (but also less power).. I can see in the video that you are still learning the car, and the power oversteering from RWD gave you some headache I guess, because I saw you trying to save a few times

According to this http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/results.cgi?20/11/2011.WIN.S1

there was a Levin and Ae86 after you, are they on semis?

and the Suzuki Ignis going 1:48, WTF?

Ben; the Falkens aren't a semi - it's classified as a high performance road tyre much like KU36s/RE01Rs/AD08s. I actually quite like the S bend, it's an imposing challenge to see what you got and can do.

The AE92 undoubtedly was a very good car, it just lacked power. It's why the Ignis Sport can do 48s with ease, thats two now I've seen doing 47/48s at Winton. The AE86s were in the mid to low 50s range, theyre quite new to it but those things are quite capable as well

As to losing it; abit too much lock on corner exit with some boost = oh noesss!

Why you lost control in the S in the last session? That S corner is really ****ty, no idea why they put the hut there...

I love that corner, but why they put that hut there makes no sense to me either... IMO it isnt even a great photo spot

The AE92 undoubtedly was a very good car, it just lacked power.

I just think your AE92 weighed a bit too much :ninja:

Once again, good job on the time you got Trung!

Not sure when but rules are rules and it's the first time any of the participants had heard of it too. EXE don't set the rules, they just pass them down and we must abide by it if we're going to use their premises and property.

Anyway, here's another video; almost stacked it into the concrete barrier coming out of the 'notorious' S-Bend around the 7min mark or so

And an awesome photo taken by one of the guys there :D

382727_282169858488004_100000849761867_754213_2782  79919_n.jpg

Not cool... if you pay for timing you should be timed. But I guess its not too bad... usually the first session is just to get used to the track again before you start pushing the car.

Nice save!! lucky you caught that as it couldve turned ugly...

LOL i was just waiting for you to rip that arm rest thing off when you were raging it :P

Also, that pic isnt working

Edited by Toyota_kid