Calling 6th Gen-ers

aem

I am not into modifying cars due to a belief that the manufacturer's R&D capabailities exceed my own (unless we're talking about Proton, Chery or Great Wall Motors). However, if I were forced somehow to mod a Gen 6, this is what I would think about: chipping the engine, boring the cylinders to raise capacity to say 2.5 or 2.6, lowering the suspension, and installing large disc brakes. Out of interest, what would be the ballpark cost of getting this done?

I would always retain 16 inch wheels (these were good enough for 250km/h+ Porsches barely 15 years ago, and provide an exception balance between comfort and handling), the seats (I am not taking this thing around Bathurst), and interior HVAC/stereo fittings (why add more weight?).

Just wondering, is the sportivo suspension much firmer/tighter than the ones equipped on the Altise/Ateva/Grande variants?

I've just noticed that my car is so boatish and boring to drive after driving other cars in the same class :c

we bought ours second hand, with 19 inch wheels with quite low profile tyres so that effects it a bit but the suspension in ours is very tight and handles excellently for what it is. A guy that i work with has an aurion atx and i know that they are obviously guna be alot heavier with the 6cyl but he has said that the suspension feels extremely loose or "rolly" as he put it.

Personally I found the gen 6 (at least the upgrade wtih standard ESC) a quantum leap over the gen 5 Camry (which is a boat on wheels IMO). Having driven Mazdas as the only comparison, I would NEVER EVER option up sports suspension or alloys exceeding 17". Personal choice, but for me comfort with reasonable handling wins the race. If I wanted sports, I'd get a used Nissan 370Z.

I've only driven the Hybrid Gen 6 and it was kinda floaty but not too bad. The sportivo is a stiffer ride but than again the Camry isn't powerfull enough to really test it.

Speaking of power, it's one of the negative points about the the camry 4 cycl. Off the mark is ok, but then flattens out.

I don't know if doing the normal cold air intake, exhaust mods will do much if anything. I think the ECU might need to adjusted to begin with. For a 2.4L engine compression ratio of 9.6 is too low, even the corolla has more (10) and it's only 1.8L

I've got a 2 1/2 inch exhaust right through on mine. Still seems to be more noise than much else, i was thinking of doing a cold air system next but like you wasn't sure whether or not it would really do much.

Get a manual ;) The amount of toe isn't too bad, I've certainly had a lot of fun with it. That said, of course its not a V6 or anything like that so no, it's not like when you put your foot down there's a lot there. But I can certainly manipulate the gears enough to give it a fair push - ask the guys on some of the cruises I've lead whether the pace has been quick enough for them :spiteful:

Suspension wise, the Gen 6 Sportivo definitely has a different set-up to the other models, I'm running 18" wheels and I have also purchased an upgraded front and rear sway bar, the difference over stock is remarkable. So much better through corners/roundabouts etc I feel safer for everyday driving too, where I point the nose the rear follows. And it's still pretty comfy too.

Performance wise, exhaust and CAI would make minor gains, but unless you go down the path of supercharging/turbocharging there isn't much to be gained there. Personally am looking at exhaust next, just so when I put my foot down it doesn't sound like a standard Camry getting revved :lol: (though I don't want anything stupidly loud either)

Cai and exhaust won't do much with our cars

I've done both.

Can't really gain much out of our engines. Ecu is impossible to crack. Could bore out the internals and get headers ~ would probably be the next step. But after that a Turbo or supercharger would be next.

Was going to turbo mine. I've got parts and plans layed out and i have contact with people in the states who have done it but trying to track down the person in Australia who did it to. . However i decided it may not be worth it

The sway bars are probably youre next best mod. I might order them in a couple weeks to

^ you might as well buy an aurion ....

The sway bars are probably youre next best mod. I might order them in a couple weeks to

Getting whiteline ? if you are, let me know, i know a dude in water Gs who gets em,

^ you might as well buy an aurion ....

If you prefer a mod'd car, an engine swap might be better than buying another car. It's all about modding.

I have both the Ultra Racing Front Strut and Rear Sway (19mm for both) - I didn't bother with the front lower strut bar as it really wouldn't make that much difference. I haven't had a problem with either and have found they have made a remarkable improvement to the handling of the car. Even my mechanics were impressed. The only thing really is that your bonnet can rub a little on the front strut. The front strut I purchased directly through Ultra Racing in Sydney, the rear sway I purchased through eBay and saved a fair bit of money, I can have a fish around and see if I can find the seller. I have the Sportivo though, so I can't vouch for how these would go on an Altise, Ateva, Touring etc

Found the eBay seller - when I did it, it was ivy_ahl66 back in April 2011. They seem to be selling boardgames now though :lol:

when do you get back bro ? lol im leaving on friday haha !

contact me on FB though, im sure we'll work something out.

yeahh not much aftermarkert stuff, have you tried lookin at the 2az-fe's in america ? (scions)

http://www.ebay.com....e#ht_3660wt_954

-found some forged pistons while browsing, didnt do much homework on them due to cost :X

http://www.ebay.com....3#ht_4105wt_954

-along with beam rods etc