JJCRU23RS JEEPNEY

JJCRU23R

Gday all, Im in Mindanao, Philippines and this is our "JEEPNEY!"

IMG_0246.jpg

When we first arrived @ my parents holiday house, it was pretty much as my parents left it, except the car, which had been serviced when my dad was here.. sitting outside in the elements, three of the tyres were flat and the engine which was worked on hadnt been started in ages...

IMG_0244.jpg

This is apparently a Toyota engine.. saw a toyota label on a random part towards the bottom of the engine.

IMG_0245.jpg

Rear passenger side - which has been reinflated, flattened and reinflated again within the space of 24hrs lol!

IMG_0248.jpg

The spare.. which is just 4 looks.. gotta get that one fixed :/

ANYONE NOTICE HOW HUGE THE REAR WINDOW IS? GEEZ The seemstress gotta sew it bigger next time haha

IMG_0249.jpg

And heres the interior.... pretty spartan in here. I swear you gotta be a 4 foot tall to drive this cos that roll bar will hit the back of your head unless you have the front seats pushed forward and the headrest pushed all the way up. The low windscreen makes for low visability which means you gotta crouch down like an old man to see, so you cant really lean back unless you like the back of your head bashed.

IMG_0253.jpg

So hard to tell from this photo but the car is in 1ST GEAR, so the stick is leaning on the drivers seat!!!! also notice the lack of a HANDBREAK, which means you gotta leave the car in 1st gear to stop it rolling away from where you parked it.. DONT YOU JUST LOVE IT?!!

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

Toyota Crown steering column.. shifts forward, back, up and down.. all while you drive, and without you wanting it to! hahaha!

IMG_0251.jpg

The brakes need to be pressed HARD in order to stop safely. Its also rear wheel drive and it handles like a frikken trolley.. as if you are steering from the back of the car and the front is doing whatever it wants!? is this normal of front wheel drives? ive only ever really driven FWD or 4WD... im guessing the front tyres grip the road like bowlingballs.. there is tread but it feels like the front end isnt holding on the road at all. Doesnt help that its wet season in Dec/January and can rain upto 4-6 hours at a time..

Not sure if you can see on the car but the rear view mirrors.... the drivers side was real wobbly and the passengerside mirror was missing in action.

So far I spent 700pesos repairing the tyres (2 inner tubes)+ the rear being reinflated twice, 300 on gettin the car started (had 2 put fuel in the carby and repair the brakes), 500pesos for almost 10L of petrol, 280 Pesos on a pair of rear view mirrors, all up 1780 Pesos spent so far.. divide by about 43 and you get $41.39 Aussie spent to get it running smile.gif

hope itll last the next few weeks cos we wont be back until last week of January.

My old club lock keeps the car from being stolen ( as if people would wanna steal it) haha

Front passenger side

IMG_0243.jpg

Front drivers side (they do drive on the left side of the car here)

IMG_0247.jpg

Theres no stereo, just a stainless steel compartment in the dash, the fuel gauge doesnt work, most of the gauges dont light up at night.. it only has one window wiper (thankfully on the drivers side), oh and Ive recharged the bettery twice since being here (theres not much electronics besides the indicators and starter, but i left the lights on overnight)..

all fun up in here! no seatbelts, no doors and dont wanna drive faster than 50-60kms.. usually drive 30-40kms on these roads coz of heaps of pot holes in these parts.

I swear the left hand drive, no seatbelts and the feeling of no door is doin my head in.. forgot to mention, there WERE seatbelts fitted on the car.. just the belts, no buckles in site?! so i took them off.. there was also a roof rack which I didnt like the look of.. id never use it here anyway, so I toook that crap off.

One last thing, everytime you put the car into reverse, the car plays this polyphonic version of LAMBADA.. this car is a helluva driving experience.. crazy but it gets us from my parents place to the inlaws house within 5-10 minutes down 2 roads.. in that case its easy.

HIRO thanks 4 the info.. so that confirms it right? Its corolla engine then? or possibly a crown..?? geez Id like to know the size 1.8? 1.6? 1.4? people round here only buy like 500 pesos of fuel at a time.. so i did the same.. thats about 10L only that I bought, not knowing exactly how much my dad left in the car before he left here about 6 months ago.

Dad put in the new horns, electrical cables in the engine bay.. the brakes are not disk brakes... no idea what youd call them..

Oh yea, for some wierd reason the postive battery cable was too short to reach the battery?!????

Dad sent a balikbayan box full of tools that he wants to use when he comes back up here including my old jack and some car stands which came in handy when I had to take off 3 of the 4 tyres.. I pumped up the other partially inflated tyre with a bike pump... so proud of that haha! Dad also included a battery cable which I bolted on to the existing cable which doubled its length, so I dont have to put cardboard under the battery and lean it slightly to get the positive cable connected..

swear the wierdness doesnt stop on this car.

Corolla engine, hard to tell capacity without an engine number or sticker, most likely a 1.2, 1.3 or 1.5 litre but could be a couple of others. Indestructible engine either way though.

That one was most probably used for public transport. most of those were leftover/surplus US army jeeps from WW2 which were converted to have bench seats along the back as a means of public transport back in the day, ive seen them loaded up with what looks like 40 people inside/hanging off the back/sitting on the roof rack.. (these are sometimes modified to have a longer wheelbase than intended).. sucks that there arent so many of those driving around this area nowadays. plenty around for sale, but very few are actually driving them. If they are being driven round here they definately dont look that clean!

At the very least ours is stainless steel, just like them bigger ones :P

I think I've seen a forklift with that motor...

Yep, K-series (and Y as well) were/are common forklift motors, pretty sure you can still buy a Toyota forklift with a K-series in it.

so.... im driving a toyota forklift? lol! damn it this is getting even wierder.. anyways, I seem to keep forgetting to turn off the foggies (or at least the one that works) or the headlights off (which only seems to have high beam) whenever I drive at night, draining the battery so that theres not enough to start the car.. charged the thing at least 3 times already.. twice over nght, both of the times ive charged it overnight, the power goes out.. freakin brownouts! lol! so not so sure how charged up the car battery is when i put it back in.

gotta get the speedo and the fuel gauges fixd coz they just arent working either. why is it the only thing working on this car is the toyota engine itself?!

so.... im driving a toyota forklift? lol! damn it this is getting even wierder..

Not really, it's just an engine that continued in use in commercial vehicles and equipment long after it stopped being a passenger car engine. Wouldn't surprise me if it's not a Suzuki SJ/Sierra/Samurai chassis, isn't uncommon to see K-series engines installed in them as an upgrade over the 1.0L 'Zook engine

why is it the only thing working on this car is the toyota engine itself?!

Because it's a K-series - they're indestructible. I know people who have driven them with blown headgaskets without even realising, just topping up the coolant when needed.

This thing has potential. Are true Jeepneys the long versions of these, which are almost minibuses?

There may be identification numbers stamped on the engine block, that would help in identifying what it is.

Around here the term jeep is used pretty loosely.

There are cars driving round here with oversized mercedes badges on the front that have the chrome jeep front grille just like mine, with the soft tops much smaller/lower/have bits and peices from different cars and has a stainless steel body..(before my car was blue, ive seen and driven it when it was plain stainless steel outside). Theres a shop near my inlaws place where you can buy all the crap they normally put on a jeep to make it more "festive".. like the pic 01Vey posted earlier. youve got the PUJ (public use jeeps) which are the xl wheelbase type army surplus vehicles that travel around certain routes and they come around every 2-3 minutes (much more fun compared to sydneys public transport).. then you got the jeeps - the same types we have in Australia.. (willys,renegade ect).

If you called either or any one of those jeeps.. you wouldnt be entirely wrong.

alternator cable keeps falling off.. explains why the battery isnt charging while driving... good news is i drove round last night and this morning with no issues :P Ive installed the $19.95 foot pedals from cash converters yesterday morning no probs and drove around by myself for the first time (without my wife or a local in the passenger seat).. The streets here dont always have clear street signs, stop signs or even working traffic lights. I always compared driving here to dancing.. everyone (but me) can hear the music and dance to its beat.

It seems as though the general idea is either give way to the bigger/faster cars/trucks/buses and push your way past the smaller vehicles.

Forgot to mention that last time I ran the battery down, it was after making a pitstop @ a late night convenience store.. after only 5 minutes with the lights on after turning off the engine there wasnt enough charge to kick the engine back on. luckily we were only about 100-140 metres from our house.. the car is so lightweight that I could push the car down the road pretty easily on my own.. (luckily there were 2 armed guards across the street from the convenience store who volunteered to push the car down the road (one stayed at his post, the other let me stay behind the wheeel and he pushed). I gave both of them 100 pesos for their trouble..

helps that the car doesnt have a roof or doors to weigh it down.. (or a handbreak, or airconditioning.. or stereo/speakers.. interior carpet.. ) :P

Latest pics and latest mods.. probebly last I'll do on the car since I won't be driving the car much longer.. heading home soon!

Finally.. pic of the foot pedals

RIMG0661.jpg

Another mod which I thought needed doing, since people round here like to name their cars, it was only fitting that this would be the Jeeps nickname :P stuff is so cheap here.. 2 foot of red tape = 60pesos.. basically $1.50 Aussie :P

RIMG0662.jpg

RIMG0663.jpg

RIMG0664.jpg

You can sorta see the side mirrors in the pic below.. kinda resembles a dog with only 1 ear up?!

RIMG0665.jpg

RIMG0666.jpg

RIMG0667.jpg

All I did was lay the masking tape over the top, picked a suitable font on microsoft word, drew it on with pencil, cut out with scissors and stanley knife, then wiped down the glass before applying the lettering! Considering it was raining earlier and then it was dry.. it quickly became quite hot sitting on the stainless steel hood! Kinda stuffed up the letter D but used some of the offcuts to cover over the wrinkles. I put that down to now realising how delicately thin the red sticker was, as well as how strong the masking tape was. The adhesive on the red sticker was so strong that if you needed to reposition the lettering, the sticker would tear. put that together with my ***** being fried sitting on the stainless steel hood.. gotta accept that the lettering werent positioned as well as i wanted.

Havent tried the single windscreen wiper yes but since it doesnt really contact well up against the glass where the letters are situated, Im assuming the lettering is safe.

bout 90 minute job done.