Engine misfiring-like noise at 800-1000 rpm

CTS03

When my Corolla TS approached ~25,000 km I realized that a “misfiring”-like noise of the engine started happening when the car is moving, with 1st or 2nd gear engaged and I press the gas pedal while the engine operates between 800-1000rpm.

This practically occurs in two situations:

(1) the car starts with 1st gear form a stop and occurs until the engine exceeds 1,000-1050 rpm, and

(2) I am moving with 2nd gear, I release the gas pedal, the engine drops to 800-1000rpm and then I push the gas pedal to accelerate (even slightly).

The engine noise scales from slightly arrhythmic bass engine noise near 1000rpm to very arrhythmic tremble noise near 800rpm.

It can be heard clearly if you have not closed the windows. And it depends on the load to the engine, e.g. it lasts more time and it is intense going uphill. I feel that the engine lacks of torque at these moments, so it should be misfiring.

Please let me know if you have experienced this problem or if you know what is the problem and the possible solution.

Edited by CTS03

if its somthing that you can make happen all the time and your T-Sport has only done 25,000km i would be going to see your dealer cause it would still be under warranty? if it were misfiring it should do it all the time? (through the entire rev range?)

I realized these noises after I felt gas smell while accelarting with 5th gear at ~6000rpm, which was probaly coming from the car and not outside.

I have also felt occassionally some weak knocking sounds form the exhaust, which can be heard only with open windows at low rpm (~2000).

I got the same thing from time to time, but almost everytime when i race and push the engine very hard it sometimes missfire or something because i can feel the engine loose a bit of it's power and i can hear a quiet poof-sound from the enginebay.

I am also interested in if this is a common issue.

• 1 month later...

I should add the following info for my experience in the last 1-2months:

Toyota checked the spark plugs and found them clean. I voluntarily changed the air filter but the problem remained.

Toyota mechanics said that misfiring at low rpm is normal because it is a high reving engine!!! But it cannot be normal since it did not happen one year ago.

Practically, my car makes this noise each time I start moving without too much gas and there is sufficient load on the engine (slopy road, high friction road, turning). I have recognized similar noises when old cars start moving at city crossings!

Following Toyota's failure I did a lot of search in forums and it seems that squealing/rattling noises at low rpm are usual in 2zzge engines and related to alternator's belt tensioner and the belt. It has been a TSB for early years' Celicas in USA but there also problems in more recent generation 7 celicas in UK. Thus I cannot exclude the belt/tensioner for causing this problem.

You might have a look on these topics in a very interesting UK celica club:

http://www.celica-club.co.uk/cgibin/phpbb2...34ea734e92f68de

http://www.celica-club.co.uk/cgibin/phpbb2...bc24e094a52f0aa

It is the Belt tensioner... i had the exact same problem...  engine at low rpms.. in 1st or 2nd gear...

all fixed now though

would it be under warranty ?

my last service i told the mechanic about the issue .. he test drove and noticed the sound as well .. but he recommended i put 98Octane to give better fluid to the engine which might of decrease that particular sound..

• 1 month later...

Finally the noise problem I reported was coming from the alternator's belt tensioner.

It was replaced and my engine sounds so nice again in all rpm!!! That old car-like noises at crossings and start have gone!

• 1 month later...

Finally the noise problem I reported was coming from the alternator's belt tensioner.

It was replaced and my engine sounds so nice again in all rpm!!! That old car-like noises at crossings and start have gone!

It did not last for long!!!

The noise is back, worse, after the first 70+70Km trip of fast driving in a sunny winter day with temperature rised above 15C.

Dear Motoman, what to do now?