2010 Ascent Sport Clutch noise....

Hi all,

Long time no post!

Recently had my car in for its 30k serivce. I have a job in the city now so im in peak hour traffic a lot, clutching the whole way ^_^ After a driving a while, ever time i depress the clutch i get a moaning/croaking like a frog, when i let it back up i get the same noise and i can feel tapping in my foot. What the? Even sitting at the lights if i push the clutch in and out i can hear it, also when the car is off!

Does anybody have any ideas what it could be........

Im going to call the dealer back today to get them to have a look but im interested to hear some opinions.

Cheers guys!

Yeah i was trying to avoid that cause i dont really have time.....Guess i will have to.

I had a look last night, its not mechanical to do with the clutch or gearbox. When you press the pedal there is just something with either the pedal not being lubricated or soemthing going on behind the firewall i cant see

Edited by Lachlan H

I have an October 2011 build Levin SX manual and I have the same problem. It is not a permanent problem though, it comes and goes, usually lasting a few days at a time, then it is fine again. I find it is worse when I have been in more stop start traffic and I'm using the clutch more. It feels as if it does not depress and lift smoothly, and it makes the creaking/moaning noise.

I reckon it's something with the lubrication of the pedal. I am going to get Toyota to look at mine in the next week or so. If I find anything out I can let you know.

Sorry to go off topic, but are you experiencing any rattles/squeaks in your lower dash panels below the steering wheel? I am going to take it back to Toyota for them to have a look at this too, thought maybe someone else has had a similar problem..?

Cheers.

Yeah probably haha, although I am more worried about them pulling the dash apart in search for the rattle, and me getting the car back with more rattles than it had before I had them look at it. This is the only reason I am kinda hesitating taking it in. I'm not sure how common dash rattles are and if any of the fixes are successful..? Might even try a few things myself to see if I can solve it.

Put your foot on the clutch and the transmission gets no load, so will change speed to match your road speed.

Take your foot off the clutch and engine speed and transmission input shaft speed will change to match.

In first gear stop start traffic I can hear both in first gear on occasion. It is a momentary knock and doesn't continue.

If yours is the same (got a video/audio file of the noise?), it is not a durability issue, just gears having some small backlash as they are reverse loaded (without this backlash, the transaxle will whine like a b#%ch and wear out quickly).

Thanks for the feedback. I am not very mechanically minded. I know that the clutch issue that myself and Lachlan H are experiencing is definately the clutch pedal itself, and not what you've referred to above. I am almost certain that it is not mechanical. However I could still be wrong (I'd rather hope that it is nothing mechanically wrong.) When my car first started doing it I pressed the clutch in and out whilst the car was off and it made the groaning noise and as Lachlan H described, it felt as though there was a tapping feeling.

I've have this on my 08 Corolla, this problem isn't anything to really worry about. It's lack of lub as CJ said on the clutch pedal. Not sure how to permanently fix it but you will learn to block it out. I asked for it to get lubbed up and the noise was gone for a few months, and came back.

Hopefully any of that was useful lol. :)

Any feedback is useful thanks hauhau. I am just glad to know it is not an exclusive problem to my car I guess - I was only more concerned because my car was only 2 months old when it first started doing it. I'll still mention it to Toyota next time it's getting a service.

Cheers.

Take it to toyota

I think its a bit of a common problem, a rubber bushing or something needs to be replaced or lubed/cant remember