Poll - Do you service your car at Toyota? If not can you recommend a someone to service it in Melbourne Northern suburbs

The Mad Doc

Do you get your service done at Toyota dealership?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi

I bought a second hand Aurion a few months ago (2007 ATX) from a Holden dealership. It came with books and it is regularly serviced, Its done now 91,500 KM and I need to take it for the 90KM service.

I am not sure if I should take it to Toyota for a service or just a mechanic. I rang 3 different Toyota dealerships and the cost that I was given over the phone to do this service varied from $870 to $1k (Ouch).

This is way too expensive so here is what I would like to know

1. do you reccomend that I take it to a toyota dealership to get it serviced there and pay the ridiculous service cost?

2. should I just take it to a mechanic and get him to do the work?

I would appreciate your advice please and would also appreciate if you can let me know which mechanic to take it to. I live in Melbourne Northern suburbs and would love to hear if you have any recommendations for a mechanic someone who is honest, reliable and would do things by the book.Obviously someone who knows Aurions.

Thanks for your replies and really appreciate your help.

Cheers

The Mad Doc :)

Get a trusted mechanic to do the work.

Sounds like OP doesn't have one so that doesn't help.

Thats right so I would realllly appreciate it if you can refer me to someone preferably in the northern suburbs of Melb.

If you dont mind travelling to the western suburbs, i know C&D autos is 100% trustworthy.

Other than that maybe Chasers at tyrepower north melbourne ? not too sure because they do tuning work and stuff.

You could try ultra tune? Did mine few weeks ago for $650

Go to a busy branch of ultra tune so you know they turn around a lot of cars and have reputation in the community. Toyota servicing is pretty common in workshops so they would have no doubt have performed many Aurion/camrys service. FYI 90k km service is a major service and involves changing spark plugs.

Ive had no issues so far with my recent service at ultra tune

i only go to a toyota dealership solely because the car is still under warranty. after that i will do the services myself. you could so as well-it would save yourself a fortune, even when the mechanic charges you less than a dealership. it depends on where you are in the northern suburbs but in lalor theres a reputable workshop called domjohn(corner station st and david st). they've been around for as long as i can remember, and ive had friends who rate them highly. theres usually high demand there, judging from the times at which i drive past it.

Edited by Noodle Boy

Thank you to all that contributed so far but special thanks goes to Noodle Boy and Jeffy for their recommendation. Lalor would be reasonable close to me as I am in the outer northern suburbs but might try C&D motorworks as it sounds like Jeffy's had first hand experience with them. I might also ring both and ask for a price and see who would do it cheaper and decide that way. There is also who has availability on the weekend so I can drop it off and Sat and pick it up later or just wait for it.

Please feel to provide more recommendations I should have said that I would rather not go to ultratune or Kmart as I would rather go to an independent which might also work out a bit cheaper :)

I went to ultratune to do my 90k service and I'm also from melb northern suburbs. They were no problem at all and charged cheap for labour.

I bought my own supplies which saved me hundreds of dollars instead of using their marked up prices.

All I needed to pay was labour and I spoke directly with the manager/boss and haggled a bit and got a good price.

Service was very good too and at the end they put all old parts like spark plugs etc in a box so I can suss out.

Just gotta be a sweet talker and make small talk with the boss and mechanic to make em sure to 'do a good job mate :)'.

Edited by Silver-Aurion

• 2 months later...

I just sucked it up and had my 2007 Aurion ZR6 serviced at Toyota, $848 90K major. The only reputable mechanic I know in my area is extremely expensive anyway. Notable expensive parts were, $223 for 6 spark plugs, $68 for oil, $48 for Engine Sub-Assy (whatever that is).

If I only knew someone local that is reputable and knows the car I'd go there to save a few $$. There sure are a huge ammount of items on the Toyota service schedule, I just wonder what a local Mechanic would do to the car vs Toyota.

So do I. However where the car is still under warranty it will have to be done by qualified mechanic. After warranty runs out I attach all receipts for the parts used to service car to the book (just for the record).

• 2 weeks later...

Home servicing will only void your warranty if the damage is caused to or as a result of the work you have done. Obviously changing your own oil will not impact a warranty claim for rear suspension failures, for instance.