Hand brake doesn't lock the rear wheels

Hi all,

I have a Corolla hatch 08', since I bought the car I haven't been able to lock the rear tyres with the hand brake and drift the car (i know, I know but it's easier to turn it around).

Couple weeks ago my wife took the car and she left the car on neutral, applied the hand brake and steeped off to pick up some stuff, the car rolled and hit another car. (she should have put it in P, but that doesn't excuse the bad function of the hand brake).

This is the first car I have that doesn't lock the rear wheels. I took it to the dealer and they "adjusted the hand brake", but no change was noticed, it feels the same and behaves the same.

is there any way I can improve this? maybe better pads. I don't want to install a hydraulic hand brake BTW.

Thank you.

Wait what? Maybe you should ask yourself is you trying to do drifts, in a fwd car, stuffed the handbrake causing your wife to think she's at fault? And if you knew the handbrake wasn't holding do you think it's a priority?

I made the mistake for leaving a handbrake to be adjusted at the next service and same thing brother borrowed the car, rolled down the street.. I adjusted it the next morning

If its adjusted correctly not much more you can do, is your handbrake apart of the rear brakes or does it have shoes in the rotors (separate to the rear disc brakes)

I've seen (if it's shoes) the inside diameter worn excessively in the disc so the shoes down work good no matter how good the adjustment is.

So you have been abusing the handbrake and now it does not work...

You have probably either stretched the cable so much there is no more adjustment left in it, or buggered the brake shoes... get it looked at by a mechanic and then stop trying to be hectik and drift a corolla :s

Guys you need to understand that the hand brake is like that since it was brand new, we have already owned a Silvia and a Lancer.

even my 1970 mini locks and drifts. I have a Forester Xti so no need to race the corolla.

I already check and adjust the cable but it doesn't make any difference, the only one is that it got harder to pull up.

Now, I research and seems to be that is a model issue with many people complaining about it but no answers so far.

The car is only 42.000 km and brakes are in perfect condition.

• 2 months later...

I did 180's in my corolla... Hand brake went loose

Nek minnit it's at the bottom of my friends driveway back into a concrete pillar with 8800 bucks worth of damage luckily no people around it at the time

And that is why you always leave the car in gear when you park...

I did 180's in my corolla... Hand brake went loose

Nek minnit it's at the bottom of my friends driveway back into a concrete pillar with 8800 bucks worth of damage luckily no people around it at the time

And that is why you always leave the car in gear when you park...

it was insurance covered it :) but the handbrake did nothing at all it was that f*cked

took about 30 mins till it happened