replace brakelight bulb in 2004 camry

metadrive

Hi

Today morning right brake light didn't worked. What kind of bulb it needs and is it easy to change?

Thanks

EDIT: found

Edited by metadrive

I purchased these http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/SCA-Automotive-Globe-Stop-Tail-12V-21-5W-2-Pack.aspx?pid=120228#Cross

They are working fine but I am not sure which one lights up when I press brake, 21w or 5w ? how much is the difference bteween visible light output?

I purchased these http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/SCA-Automotive-Globe-Stop-Tail-12V-21-5W-2-Pack.aspx?pid=120228#Cross

They are working fine but I am not sure which one lights up when I press brake, 21w or 5w ? how much is the difference bteween visible light output?

21W will be the actual brake/stop light element, 5W will be the tail light element (aka the dim red light that comes on when your headlights are on)

The 21 and 5 are referring to the wattage of the globe, so the brake light should be roughly 4 times brighter than the tail (21/5 ~= 4)

21W will be the actual brake/stop light element, 5W will be the tail light element (aka the dim red light that comes on when your headlights are on)

The 21 and 5 are referring to the wattage of the globe, so the brake light should be roughly 4 times brighter than the tail (21/5 ~= 4)

OP: Is the replacement bulb you bought a dual filament bulb?

Ian's comment got me thinking about mine as the Gen5 uses a 5W T10 for the tail light. I pulled out my stop light and it's a single filament T20-21W bulb.

OP: Is the replacement bulb you bought a dual filament bulb?

Ian's comment got me thinking about mine as the Gen5 uses a 5W T10 for the tail light. I pulled out my stop light and it's a single filament T20-21W bulb.

Difference between pre- and face-lift rear lights perhaps? (2004 was the changeover correct?)

yeah the bulb is dual filament bulb and car is pre face lift. It has separate bulb for tail light.

I couldn't find single filament bulb at autobarn, supercheapauto, autopro, repco and 4 servos in Canberra, so purchased dual filament.

yeah the bulb is dual filament bulb and car is pre face lift. It has separate bulb for tail light.

I couldn't find single filament bulb at autobarn, supercheapauto, autopro, repco and 4 servos in Canberra, so purchased dual filament.

Surprised you couldn't find a single-element bulb, I've seen plenty (my car needs dual-filament though). If you want a difficult bulb to find, try a T20 wedge parker (clear) light, they are easy to find in 20W (which are for indicators with tinted lenses) but seem non-existent in 5W (which explains why the filters on my parkers are melting :P)

• 9 years later...

Hey guys...my 1004 camry break light is staying on even after can stopped and locked. I've spent the morning trying to fix bulb in it is w21/w5 and fuse ok....can't notice anything at pesel but then....I do t Know...just got the car roadworthy and reg. I've been taking our fuse at night for battery but scarey/stupid to drive with no break light......any help... please!!!!

Thanks 

Have a look at the top side of the brake pedal and locate the brake light switch.

Most likely the rubber stopper on the brake pedal had deteriorated and broken/missing.

This would explain why the brake lights are staying on.