LSD

I have recently had the trd lsd installed in my Sportivo.  It has totally transformed the car.  Has anyone else in the forum had one installed?

Chris

Cool man. Would you like to give your review on the LSD and how it has transformed the car?

Hi Guys!

If I had known about this forum earlier... I may have taken a somewhat different modding path. So to briefly outline the shortcomings of the car as I saw them:

a) ****ty er30 tires... poor grip

B) bugger all powerdown in cornering... the inside front lit up with little provocation

c) reluctant initial turn into corners unless brakes brushed during corner entry. Powering down would make the car run wide and see (B)

d) scary transient response to brake application during high speed cornering (the line would tighten drastically... caught me out initially until I learnt to use it to my advantage.)

My first step was to upgrade the tires to Goodyear EAGLE F1 GS-D3 205/55zr16. They grip very well in cornering but the open diff still let me down. I finally ponied up the $$$ for the lsd together with short shifter and CAI from trd.

The lsd is a clutch type (Quaife had a helical one which may be better... but I had trouble sourcing one in Aus plus I thought staying with Toyota mechanicals was a safer bet.) The changeover took quite a few man hours and more than 2 days (bearings had heat damage and required new ones to be ordered in... likely because of all the one wheel spinning action!!! BTW I live in the country.)

The feel of the car was quite different after the lsd was installed. Powerdown into corners literally sucks the car into the corner instead of causing understeer... (unless you are really ham fisted.) Almost feels at times lie it has 4wd... reminds me now of my old Suby Outback. It cost a fistfull of cash to do... but I am very happy with the result. I really rip through the local Touge now! ;-)

I am about to install TRD Sportivo coils and struts, front strut brace, TRD rear stabiliser and CES racing catback exhaust. It will be interesting how this complements the lsd.

I am interested to hear how the guys with suspension mods and tyre mods have been able to overcome the traction problem in corners.

Regards

Chris

I will keep you guys informed. I certainly will be adhering to my credo 99% speed 1% rice! ;-)

Has anyone seen the recent Best Motoring Int'l DVD with the Evo IX review. They have a Touge shootout with a C-one Celica ZZT231 (which has the TRD lsd plus has interesting commentary on it's street friendly suspension setup,) Spirits MR-S, Spoon Civic EG6 and AE86. You can buy these @ Autobarn.

Regards

Chris

post-1350-1130416867_thumb.jpg

I will keep you guys informed.  I certainly will be adhering to my credo 99% speed 1% rice! ;-)

Has anyone seen the recent Best Motoring Int'l DVD with the Evo IX review.  They have a Touge shootout with a C-one Celica ZZT231 (which has the TRD lsd plus has interesting commentary on it's street friendly suspension setup,) Spirits MR-S, Spoon Civic EG6 and AE86.  You can buy these @ Autobarn.

Regards

Chris

Hmm, LSD sounds like a nice investment. How much did you pay for it if you don't mind telling?

P.s. More rice!

I will keep you guys informed.  I certainly will be adhering to my credo 99% speed 1% rice! ;-)

Has anyone seen the recent Best Motoring Int'l DVD with the Evo IX review.  They have a Touge shootout with a C-one Celica ZZT231 (which has the TRD lsd plus has interesting commentary on it's street friendly suspension setup,) Spirits MR-S, Spoon Civic EG6 and AE86.  You can buy these @ Autobarn.

Regards

Chris

Nice mod u got there Chris, also get Hot Version "Japanese Muscle", it has C-One RunX aka our Sportivo in it on the togue. Had good reviews on suspension and engine but they disconnected the ABS/EBD/BA, which resulted in a rear brake bias hence poor score from one of the reviewers.

Edited by ZEEROLLA

Regards

Chris

Nice mod u got there Chris, also get Hot Version "Japanese Muscle", it has C-One RunX aka our Sportivo in it on the togue. Had good reviews on suspension and engine but they disconnected the ABS/EBD/BA, which resulted in a rear brake bias hence poor score from one of the reviewers.

i think the reviewers are a little biased, too. with the s/c vitz, they also questioned if it deserved to be there in the first place.