Supercharge or turbocharge VVTL-i

the fensport rolla would have cost them over 100 grand i would reckon, as they had to get a runX from SA to get the AWD stuff.

I thought they imported the NZE124 (4WD Auto 1.5 1NZ-FE powered runx) from Japan. Basically just to get the body shell / floor plan to allow them to fit the 4WD running gear ST205 without having to rebuild (ie. bash the crap out of) the FWD monocoupe chasis to accomodate thing like the driveshaft, rear diff ect... Either way it would have cost a crap load of $$$$

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may as well add my 2 cents worth in...

Listed below are my opinions so please dont flame me for passing on some advice after many years experience in heavily modifying and racing turbo cars...

1. The more you modify, the more problems you run into and the more money seems to dissapear.

Have plenty of money ready for things that go "wrong" in the first year,

2. When car compnaies add forced induction to an engine they spend millions making sure everything else still runs well and nothing is overloaded. If the car is designed for 141kw, then anything over that can can overload the engine, drivetrain, etc and you start breaking things. Its very naive to think you can just double the power and everything else will be ok. Unless you are prepared to upgrade everything else, there are better options.

3. I would never supercharge a 4 cylinder car. Superchargers take engine power to give engine power.

If a supercharger takes 20kw to run (made up figure), then it is a significant amount for a 4 cylinder. 20kw for more power is not so significant for a V8. Turbo's make use of wasted energy in the form of exhaust gasses, so they are far more efficient and generally produce better power in a smaller capacity engine.

4. IMHO.... don't do it! Get a second hand STI or EVO lancer. Far less problems and you already have a car that is BUILT to make high power. You get the BREmbo brakes, stronger gearbox, AWD, recaro seats and millions have been spent making sure everything works perfectly.

Really, no tuning house will have spent anywhere near as much as a manufacturer making sure everything works right. Also you can then upgrade the basics and get better power again... safely

5. From years of modifying i have learnt a few things.

1. Warranties are a bloody fantastic thing!

2. The most i would ever modify an engine is intake, exhaust and chip. You want more, get a better car.

(after that it's risk city)

3. Brakes and suspension are as imporant (IMHO more important) as power and more reliable to modify.

As I said, these are my opinions, if you dont agree then you are obviously wrong.... he he just kidding :-)

Even tuning houses like MRT havent developed anything for the Stivo, they have alot to offer Subes and Nissans but nothing for the Stivo....

Either they are still working on something or its just too hard to get anything thats rock solid :(

I doubt a shop like MRT would waste their time on the sportivo. They're focussed on the cars that offer a lot more performance. The only reason they used to offer stuff for the charades was because they rallied them.

My mate at work drove that car and was pretty disappointed with the lack of low-end power. He owns an Astra Turbo incidently.

So Darren's driven the Supercharged T Sport ?

Yes at Higashi-Fuji, as well as the Echo Turbo.

[/quote

Just wondering how your friend was able to drive a Supercharged T-Sport Corolla in Japan if they were only availbale in Europe????

Also I believe but could be wrong but the Compressor T-Sport has 230NM of Torque compared to the Astra's 250NM, not a huge difference.

Many people including Journo's have said the Sportivo lacks bottom end, yet no one says this about the 1zz motors & they have less torque than the Stivo. I also think this comment is blown out or proportion because when you a driving your car hard the Rev's will be high not low & this is were the 2zz comes into its own.

2zz-ge + supercharger = Perfect. No point chasing hi power in this engine i think, better make up what is needed - Down Low to Mid power.

Then again, is not that you don't get top end power benefit from supercharger, is just lesser than turbo, but for instant tourqe and linear power - AMEN.

2zz-ge + supercharger = Perfect. No point chasing hi power in this engine i think, better make up what is needed - Down Low to Mid power.

Then again, is not that you don't get top end power benefit from supercharger, is just lesser than turbo, but for instant tourqe and linear power - AMEN.

B)

Just wondering how your friend was able to drive a Supercharged T-Sport Corolla in Japan if they were only availbale in Europe????

Also I believe but could be wrong but the Compressor T-Sport has 230NM of Torque compared to the Astra's 250NM, not a huge difference.

Many people including Journo's have said the Sportivo lacks bottom end, yet no one says this about the 1zz motors & they have less torque than the Stivo. I also think this comment is blown out or proportion because when you a driving your car hard the Rev's will be high not low & this is were the 2zz comes into its own.

Toyota has a technical centre called Higashi-Fuji. A lot of dynamic tuning and development is done there. Camry suspension tuning for example.

This is where my friend drove these vehicles and managed to sneak a look at the new Corolla chassis.

I'm just relaying what his opinion was of the vehicle. Comparing peak torque levels without mentioning at what RPM they occur is pretty futile.

Your example comparing the 1ZZ and 2ZZ misleading. THe 1ZZ is not critisized for its bottom end for a number of reasons. Such as, it's only about 9nm less than the Stivo yet the peak torque is about 2-3000 rpm sooner. Plus it's not a 'Performance' vehicle like the Stivo is, so you cant compare them.

As I said, in my friends opinion, he was slightly disappointed with the performance of the Compressor T-Sport. But then, maybe he expected a little more from a $47,000 vehicle....

Edited by Otaku

I rather buy rex for that price.

Or, if u must s.c the tivo, get aftermarket such as Blitz or Greddy, as the T-Sport is probably restricted from factory to meet emission rule. Oh did someone mentioned that earlier?

But you missed out on warranty provided by toyota when u buy blown T-Sport corolla.

I rather buy rex for that price.

Or, if u must s.c the tivo, get aftermarket such as Blitz or Greddy, as the T-Sport is probably restricted from factory to meet emission rule. Oh did someone mentioned that earlier?

But you missed out on warranty provided by toyota when u buy blown T-Sport corolla.

Yeh, i was thinking the same. I was having second thoughts about if i should turbo charge mine or supercharge but supercharging 2zz is much more smarter i guess. Then again, blowing 6-7gs for a supercharger on a sportivo is a lot of sacrifice. Im going to see how it runs with cpu, intake and exhaust and if it moves well, no need for supercharger.

I think people comment on the Sportivo's lack of bottom end simply because at the end of the day, its still a Corolla and is still needed for things like commuting in peak hour when a lack of low-end torque really makes itself felt.

Exact same engine in the Lotus Elise is not criticised in the same way, for example, because they're usually only used as a track or weekend car, where that lack of torque doesn't matter.

Comparing 1ZZ to 2ZZ, max. vs max. in the 2ZZ you need 61% more revs to access just 5% more torque! Not a problem when you're up it, but a hot morning peak hour with the air con on high might show it up a bit.

I think people comment on the Sportivo's lack of bottom end simply because at the end of the day, its still a Corolla and is still needed for things like commuting in peak hour when a lack of low-end torque really makes itself felt.

Exact same engine in the Lotus Elise is not criticised in the same way, for example, because they're usually only used as a track or weekend car, where that lack of torque doesn't matter.

Comparing 1ZZ to 2ZZ, max. vs max. in the 2ZZ you need 61% more revs to access just 5% more torque! Not a problem when you're up it, but a hot morning peak hour with the air con on high might show it up a bit.

True!!!